Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serious injuries as chair lift breaks at Devil's Head resort in the US

Poster: A snowHead
At least three people sustained serious injuries after a serious chair lift accident last night at Devil's Head Resort in Merrimac. Authorities reported that, around 7pm, a chair lift loaded with people suddenly stopped and started falling backwards. The operators couldn't get it to stop and the chairs crashed at the bottom, shattering. At least nine other people sustained minor injuries and it was after 10 o'clock before rescuers had finished evacuating the ski lift....Source: http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=11697496
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked Sounds horrendous.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the lift there was rubbish 30 years ago and i wouldnt be surprised if it was the same one....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope none of those people had a baby in a rucksack.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, wow, top prize for tasteless posting! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio,
Why not wear back protection? Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio wrote:
I hope none of those people had a baby in a rucksack.

Tasteless aside, it's not just your back that needs protection. It's your face and neck that's going to get crushed by the next chair flying in for a quick landing... Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know the cause of this ? it appears to be a very strange accident.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like the whole line was going backwards which indicates some sort of catastrophic failure with the winding mechanism plus a failure of any emergancy brakes, it occured arround 7pm which might mean that it was particularly cold which could just have something to do with it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But what i dont understand is why the chairs did not just go back up the other side? I guess they must have been detachable chairs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, yeah I think so otherwise they wouldn't have hit a wall, no doubr there will be more details in daylight
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems to have been an uncontrolled rollback. Depending on length of lift/load, even if the e-brake is full functioning, if the safety circuits don't automatically kick in the E-brake, the lift operator has at most 6 to 10seconds to apply the E-brake before the momentum is such that it will drive the lift through the E-brake and only stop when either external friction forces overcome momentum or the load balances out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster wrote:
But what i dont understand is why the chairs did not just go back up the other side? I guess they must have been detachable chairs.

Speed of the rope would be such chairs would swing out probably above the horizontal going above the bullwheel, in a confined station within a building they'd smash into the walls or roof. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See what happens in a chair roll back:

http://youtube.com/v/FwPP4i7ENvQ
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winterhighland, yeah was forgetting that possibility, whatever happened something went seriously wrong Sad
latest report
abc wrote:
See what happens in a chair roll back:

http://youtube.com/v/FwPP4i7ENvQ

OMG Shocked
snow report
There's a first hand account on epic of someone who's on the lift when it happened:

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/89328/scariest-chair-lift-ride-of-my-life
snow report
http://www.wkowtv.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4398341&h1=Devil%27s%20Head%20investigation&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=87300&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=60892285
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy