Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now or in the Morning 20cm of snow in Kent

Poster: A snowHead
Right so I am off to cham on the 13:30 tunnel tomorrow (Friday). 8 inches of snow is forecast for Kent overnight and in the morning with travel disruption predicted. What do I do,

a/ get a B and B in Dover and go down tonight
b/ take a chance and go in the morning

btw the start point is Birmingham
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, busy motorways all the way, you'll be fine. Allow an extra 90mins and go b/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmm - 3 flakes of snow predicted 3 days in advance is enough to catch Kent County Council off guard (and the Kentish gritters etc. of Highways Agency). Funny cos when I grew up there as a kid, my dad never had any problems getting to work in a Austin Maxi, whilst we went sledging.

I'd vote B, but be prepared to leave much earlier, and check the weather 1st thing. 3 Flakes of snow will mean BBC breakfast news will be stuck in a loop reporting the blizzards in the south east. Maybe a Kentish snowHead (or a snowHead of Kent) can give better updates?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, Hard to say. cant believe we will get 8 inches (oh er missus) but the problem with the M20 is that with the strong north wind that we have at the moment will cause the snow to drift off the north downs. But having said that, the road is busy at all times so it should nt be a problem, - go for option b, leave extra time and see if you can get an earlier train if all goes well. I have driven down to folkestone down the M20 with hard packed snow on the road all the way, no problem. Snow is also forecast for northern france as well. TIP - Make sure you fill up your windscreen washer with neat screenwash, because once the roads are salted and if your washers freeze you wont be able to see where your going.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm on the 07.30 tomorrow morning .....it'll be fine .........I hope snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BergenBergen, good tip. i get the -60C stuff that smells like turkish delight.

Other handy tip is... if you have SkyTV, I think you get *all* the regional BBC1 variations now? so ch983 tells you whether kent is submerged in 3cm of snow or not, plus tells you delays on tunnel/ferries.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, go now and get an extra days skiing in Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you're probably not going to get 20cm of fresh in cham in the next few days so stay in kent and put in some low angle pow turns. Are there hill in kent?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can also recommend the highways agency for traffic
http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx
and bbc kent travel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/travel/jamcams/
and autoroute info
http://www.aprr.fr/fr/preparation_au_voyage/temps_reel/trafic
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Are there hill in kent?

north downs have an easy blue side, and a pretty wicked black slope side Smile no uplift though Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if they are predicating 8 inches then i would leave now as last year when the south east had the same amount the whole place ground to a halt and it was as though nowhere else in britain gets snow like it!!! I even remember a documentary on it about some guy who walked for 5 hours to get to work through the "blizzards" as the roads were "impassable" due to all the silly southerners who all of a sudden cant drive when the snowflakes arrive!!! So if i were you i would set off at around 7pm from brum then hopefully you will avoid the majority of rush hour (unless there have been a few snowflakes already which will send the southerners crashing into the central reservation, hedges, other vehicles) and like you said, stop outside of dover or somewhere nearby. Good luck and hey, you made need the chains on this side of th channel for once rather than the other side!!! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy, The white cliffs experience just outside Dover is marked as an itinerie on the map, slightly steeper than the north downs
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BergenBergen, white cliffs are a bit steeper than I'm used to. Best to take a parachute.

Judging by the news this morning, I guess the OP will be stuck in a 6inch snowdrift. Oh and M20 apparently closed (as always). One day the Kentish gritter lorry drivers might listen to the BBC news rather than read (well look at) the Sun while drinking tea with 23 sugars Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I/we got it completely wrong. M20 jammed at Maidstone and M2 Jammed at Chatham. A249 and A229 shut at Detling and Bluebell hills. About 6 ins of snow . Strangely, doesnt look like any snow down at Folkestone on the webcam
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BergenBergen wrote:
Looks like I/we got it completely wrong. M20 jammed at Maidstone and M2 Jammed at Chatham. A249 and A229 shut at Detling and Bluebell hills. About 6 ins of snow . Strangely, doesnt look like any snow down at Folkestone on the webcam

Hope all the snowHead that were trying to get away this morning, manage to get away ok.
latest report
jbob wrote:
Right so I am off to cham on the 13:30 tunnel tomorrow (Friday). 8 inches of snow is forecast for Kent overnight and in the morning with travel disruption predicted. What do I do,

a/ get a B and B in Dover and go down tonight
b/ take a chance and go in the morning

btw the start point is Birmingham

or

c/ go to Kent because there is more snow than in cham at the moment
ski holidays
There was up update on Radio Kent from a guy driving the "Ginsters" van, stuck on the M20 - said anyone who could see him and wanted something to eat just come up to his van..
latest report
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and decided to drive down to Ashford the day before. I was glad I did as the roads were chaos the next morning.
ski holidays
Boredsurfin having a fun time on M20 but please to say he has made the tunnel and is about to board
snow report
Mouth wrote:
Boredsurfin having a fun time on M20 but please to say he has made the tunnel and is about to board

I'm sure the winter tyres came in handy...and only a few hours late then - should still make last orders in monty...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy