Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boozy Brits (apparently)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.goodskiguide.com/gsg/index.php/component/content/article/432-boozy

More sensationalism from the crew that blamed ski collisions on drunken eastern Europeans. Now it's the Brits turn! rolling eyes And, by the way, a Google search doesn't reveal any Govt initiative but this sheds some light... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234692/Britons-warned-dont-drink-ski-30-people-died-French-Alps-year.html

Anyway, just for fun, this is what most of you must have caused...

Government backs GSG’s call for safety on the slopes

The Good Ski Guide’s shock report on ski safety has prompted the Government to act to stop drinking and skiing.

The Don’t Drink and Ski campaign is an attempt to help cut the number killed and injured on the slopes of the Alps.

Posters at airports, stations and ski resorts will issue the stark warning ‘alcohol can affect you more quickly at high altitude and limit your awareness of danger and cold’. ‘Skiers reactions are slower and reckless behaviour can lead to crime’.

Put simply. ‘Alcohol abuse can ruin your holiday’. The message is also being printed on beer mats.

The Good Ski Guide this year issued several warnings about the increase in alcohol related ski and board accidents – particularly personal collisions.

This forced a government study into the ‘pissed on the pistes phenomenon’.

The government study also found that a third of British skiers and snowboarders aged under 25 were involved in accidents or mishaps caused by a mixture of ‘alcohol, altitude and adrenalin’.

The British consulate in Lyons, central France, said that at least 30 Britons died in the French Alps last year, half were under 25. The region attracts about 400,000 British tourists every winter.

“We are saying don’t overdo the drinking,” he told The Times. “What may seem a normal amount in normal circumstances can be dangerous at high altitude.”

Sir Peter Westmacott, the British Ambassador in Paris, said officials were concerned that tour operators were promising high mountain drinking sessions to holidaymakers who were unaware of the risks.

The campaign also aims to encourage holidaymakers to take out insurance to cover injuries caused during extreme sports such as snowboarding. A total of 31 per cent failed to do so, according to the Foreign Office survey.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, Perhaps they mean this Govt. initiative
http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/press-release/2008/01/fco_npr_skiers150108 wink

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's Frank Lampard doing in the alps?

That's an old press release you dug up there. Clearly not news anymore. Sadly the people most likely to benefit from the message are the least likely to read it. Bit "nanny state" though isn't it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, I'd didn't realise geordies went skiing...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, we dont - we can only fly to Majorca from up here ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All this stuff about altitude, is it actually true ?

I've been offered the consolation that my wobbly state outside the cable car was because alcohol affects you more at altitude, but it wasn't that high and I had frankly tied on on the night before until an indecent hour. I've always assumed that when other people blame the additional effect of altitude that they are trying to excuse the massive quantities of local hooch and duty free that they necked in unmeasured quantities from 4 p.m to 4 a.m.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thirty06, altitude is dehydrating and this accentuates the effect of the alcohol. If you drink four gallons of water and then go out and get minging drunk you will probably only feel as grim as you usually do.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i hope the government realises that insurance companies aren't that willing to pay out if an insured person is injured, or causes an injury to someone else, whilst under the influence of alcohol.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is this a really a problem in France? In Austria the English tend to be very sober on the slopes, usually saving their money to get drink in resort in the evening.

I gather its oft said on this forum but in Austria the champions of on piste drunkness are the Russians, I swear Ive seen some russian fellas get off the 10am gondola and straight into a hutte, not to be seen (the head to toe garish spyder outfits are usually easily recognised) until last run down!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

thirty06, altitude is dehydrating and this accentuates the effect of the alcohol. If you drink four gallons of water and then go out and get minging drunk you will probably only feel as grim as you usually do.

4 Gallons of that brown fizzy fermented water
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I gather its oft said on this forum but in Austria the champions of on piste drunkness are the Russians, I swear Ive seen some russian fellas get off the 10am gondola and straight into a hutte, not to be seen (the head to toe garish spyder outfits are usually easily recognised) until last run down!

Don't knock it if it keeps them off the slopes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rocksteadee wrote:
Quote:

Don't knock it if it keeps them off the slopes

Fair point! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never drink any alchohol whilst skiing, for one it makes me drowsy and because, sods law, nature will call when I'm 5km from the nearest toilet!! Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichardB, Just find a quiet corner and make some yellow snow.

[Initially I did start this with 'Just find some virgin snow...', but thought maybe not on a family forum Madeye-Smiley ]
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy