Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you Skwal?

Poster: A snowHead
Another fad, or could it be the new cool thing on the slopes Puzzled

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skwal
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hibernia, they've been around for a while, but have never really caught on. I thinkit's just too hard. Some of the old alpine carving snowboarders do it. Very graceful when done well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The state of the art in alpine boarding is here

http://www.extremecarving.com

They have some really good quality movies to download. The latest, "Lifted", was featured on Eurosports Watts program.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a cool site, which I've seen before (stumbled across it a few months ago). But what they do is alpine boarding with super-low turns: they are not riding "Skwals"
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw a guy with one of these in Ellmau this year, he made it look really easy and more fun than boarding, Still would be a bummer on flat links to lifts though Sad I'll stick to my skis I think. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ponder, just thought the OP might find extremecarving interesting if he thought Skwals were cool. Alpine style doesn't exactly get a lot of exposure to Brit skiers. This reinforces the Brit view that snowboarding is all skate park jumpy spinny, putting a lot of older skiers off.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
neilswingler, good point, boarding for me is carving and powder, the half pipe stuff just looks too pedestrian.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This all looks very similar to one of these wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave J, Those guys came over to the Mondial a few years ago. We had a go on them - I felt very wobbly but my friend Maryline (French Europa cup skier) loved them. We met with the guys and got a shop in LDA interested in stocking them; Maryline wanted to teach instructors to teach it, and then we never heard another dickie bird.

So much for american marketing! Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
neilswingler, indeed, I probably mis-interpreted your post - it can be hard to tell what people mean when all you have is typed words and no body-language clues Sad For me, too, boarding is about carving and powder, though the odd jump or rail can be a fun touch Smile But half-pipe's look to me like injury incarnate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ponder, no worries. Just don't want the skiers to think that Skwal and Teleboard are the only alternatives to soft boot freestyle. Alpine boarding is way bigger than either of those and yet still unknown in the UK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
neilswingler, That's because too many UK snowboarders are just doing it because they think it's "cool" and they really don't want to learn to carve a real snowboard! wink wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tried a skwal a few years back and really enjoyed it (read my report here). There is an active community of skwalers at Skwalzone which would be a good place to find out more about it.

While I loved carving the skwal I did find it a bit inflexible as an all mountain ride and having recently stopped and chatted to/watched a teleboarder I think that might be a more practical vehicle for carving and riding powder, moguls and whtever else you may find (I'd lose the sticks though).

Then of course there is alpine snowboarding which I have sadly limited experience of due to equipment availability and cost .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a skiwal community in La Rosiere, the resort hosts one of the rounds of the Skiwal championship and one of the ESF instructors, Christelle Gaidet, is the current European Champion.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, thanks playdreamer, really good action scenes and groovy sound-track on the video section. It looks very stylish. Can it really be more difficult to control one plank rather than two?
snow report
hibernia, I tried it with a friend who is a very good skier and, as a snowboarder, I found it slightly easier than her but neither of us found it difficult. Once you get over the initial hesitation to just lean over (providing you have a little speed) you will carve rather than topple as you might expect.

Interstingly, my skier friend thought it more like boarding than skiing and I found it more like skiing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy