Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length for 90kg+

Poster: A snowHead
I'm ~93kg today and vary between about 90 and 95kg (largely depending on how much running I'm doing at any given time). I'm a pretty good skier and when my technique lets me down I try to make up for it with enthusiasm.

Is it nice and simple for me? For any given ski, would I always want the longest in the range?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on the ski and the range they come in, and how good "pretty good!" is, and what stuff you are planning to ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For 'pretty good' I rank myself as more 6 than 7 - I don't enjoy steep, bumpy unpisted blacks but generally get down them without incident (although it's a workout!)

I'm planning to ski whatever's there - I'm talking about one set of skis to keep for a few years so I won't have the luxury of changing them according to conditions - I suppose I ski 80/20 piste/off-piste (and the off-piste isn't real back-country stuff) but I'd want to the ski to be a bit more biased towards off-piste - that's where I need the help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always thought height was more a dictator of ski length and ski stiffness was dictated by type of skiing, weight and technical ability. What is your height?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
6'1" (sorry to mix metric and imperial)

I always thought weight was more important then height - how does a ski know how much height is on top of its binding? I'm pretty sure a ski knows how much weight is over the binding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Higs, If it helps I'm 5'8" and weigh a staggering 95kgs. Have been skiing 170 for a salomon crossmax but recently tested movement and scott crusades both around the 184 length and they were great. Off piste with both and never felt I'd catch a tip or anything like that. Definitely think 180 something is perfect for me
Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs,

You are probably right I'm 5'8" but around 20 kg lighter than you and Will S. 170 to 175cm all mountain skis work best for me. 166 was a tad short 186 was too long.

Using this ski selector the average length of the results based on your statts was ca 180 cm
http://www.levelninesports.com/ski_selector.php

Wouldn't just go for the longest length as some pro skis are mid 90's in length and stiff as hell.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Higs,
I am 6'1 and weigh 100kgs and i ski 185 skis, sometimes i think id be better with a little shorter (in trees ,moguls etc), never,ever think i would like longer, I had too many years on straight skis to ever want a ski that was taller than me again!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

For 'pretty good' I rank myself as more 6 than 7

On what scale? I think it really depends on the ski...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Higs, if it helps, I'm 91kgs, 5'11" and freakily sound like just the same standard and style of skier.

For 5 years I skied on K2 Axis X 181's, they were supposed to be an all mountain ski, did me really well, but the width under the foot always meant it was more of a piste ski.

After years of servicing them and pasting over crater size chunks from the base I needed a new pair (sorry for all this war and peace sh!te... I'll get to the point)... I needed a new pair that were going to test me and push me harder and more towards off piste.

After loads of research I went for a pair of Scott Missions... and I'm still on cloud nine after 2 years.

Can't wait for Jan just to strap them on... I may not ski like him, but I feel like Bode, they take me everywhere and still carve GS style turns even though they're 89mm under foot... it scared the hell out of me when i first saw them, but when I skied the first few brand new turns it was like "YESSS".

The best buy I've made.... in anything!!!!

PS... oh yeah, they're 178 in length too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
Quote:

the one that's linked to my profile on here ...

Abilty/Experience:

1)This is my first time:
2)I have tried skiing before, on snow or on a dry slope. I can turn, but don't feel properly in control on a green run:
3)I can control my speed and turn on green slopes. My skis are in a plough most of the time:
4)I ski confidently on blue runs. My skis are parallel when I feel confident, but the plough comes back when it gets steep, narrow or icy:
5)I can ski most red runs when the conditions are good. I like going fairly fast, but struggle when it gets bumpy, steeper, icy, or the snow gets deep:
6)I can ski all reds and get down most blacks as well, providing they're not too steep or bumpy:
7)I can ski most places. Blacks are no problem and I enjoy off-piste:
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You won't go far wrong with a pair of 170cm K2 Explorers.

http://k2skis.com/skis/apache/xplorer

If you must 177cm

I'm 6'2" (188cm) and 100kg stripped and the 170cm were superb for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 5'4" and heavy (not saying how much!) and I'm on 172cm iM82's. Many will say these are too much ski for me but what the heck is the point putting someone heavy on 150 just because I'm short? They'd be like butter. I can carve a dream on these and they float on a bit of powder but to be fair I do struggle in the moguls with these but they're not impossible.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends on the ski but you are probably going to want pretty much the longest in any given range with your height, weight, aggression and ability. Generalising, I'd go for 185cm, remember that twin or semi twin knocks off some effective length too. My 'all mountain' skis are 179 and I'm 68kg 5'10", I can't believe people are suggesting sub 180 for anything other than piste only skis.
snow report
I didn't think height had anything to do with it?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
I didn't think height had anything to do with it?

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/88236/height-in-determining-ski-length
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy