Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm or Mayrhofen or La Plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Background: Group of 5 thirty somethings. 4 decent skiers, 1 decent boarder. Want reasonable sized area, some challenging slopes and some off piste that is accessible to people only just starting to dabble in that sort of thing. The boarder would also like some park type stuff to have a play in. Night life not that important, although it would be nice if there were a few decent apres bars to have a bevvy or two in.

Problem: Because we have a single skier requiring a single room we have been struggling to find somewhere reasonably priced that didn't stiff him/us for the single supplement. First we tried to recruit strangers to fill the person gap, that fell through. Secondly i started to consider the mid season bash but am not sure that wengen would suit us. Now a TO has offered us reasonably priced options in Mayrhofen (B&B) and Hinterglemm (Half Board).

Questions for Snowheads: If we B&B in Mayrhofen are there plenty of evening food options? If anyone has been to both, which would you recommend?

Cheers for any help!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-12-09 13:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS: Organising this is turning into a bit of a mare, so please don't say neither!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't think there is any problem of eating out at Mayrhofen. Hinterglemm should be alright too but it is at the dead end of the valley Plenty decent hotels there. Think Hinterglemm wins on apres.

Skiing in Mayrhofen should be more challenging as it got couple of decent blacks. The Karakiri is of course the steepest "groomed" piste in Austria. There is plenty excitement in Hintertux glacier and the neighbouring Zell am Ziller is also similar size as Mayrhofen.

Hinterglemm and Saalbach valley is unique that you can ski on one side of the valley and return by the other side. It is one of the longest loops, definitely bigger than the St Anton's White Ring but shorter than Sella Ronda. It is a day's skiing just to go round this loop for most recreational skiers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of eating out options in Mayerhofen. When I go I stay half board in a 3* hotel, the restaurant of which is open to and widely used by non residents. they do a menu of the day option which is very reasonably priced as well as a la carte which is also of good value. Its a decent sized area and you have the option of the rest of the Zillertal valley and Hintertux on the same lift pass. It also has a very good park. I haven't been to Hinterglemm so can't comment although what I have read about it is all good but I'd certainly recommend Mayerhofen. I'm off there again at Easter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magic_hat, I stayed in Hinteglemm in (E-mail: info@hotel-conrad.at Homepage : www.hotel-conrad.at) that had rooms with a double bedroom and a proper pull out bed in the lounge, ideal for three ! and they also did singles too, but it was B&B plus evening meal. I would think Hinteglemm would be ok but never been to Mayrhofen
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
magic_hat, either will be fine - Hinterglemm is smaller and has fewer food options, but there's still more than enough. Both are big enough to keep anyone happy, and there are challenging runs in both places. For apres, I'd disagree with Saikee - Mayrhofen is more lively and more intense (=noisy), while Hinterglemm is more strung out and less intense, but still has some rowdy elements. Saalbach is bigger and noisier than Hinterglemm, but you need a taxi to get back from Saalbach after dark.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have to agree with ousekjarr that apres is better in Mayrhofen.

Its problem is that there is no skiing in the village and thus always a long queue for the gondola up in the morning or else its a bus ride to the glacier.

Hinterglemm is pretty much ski in/out (which I like). But it is definately quieter than Mayrhofen with less choice for eating out, although I stayed in the Alpine Palace hotel on half board (fantastic hotel and amazing 7 course dinners!) so didn't really clock all of the eating places.

On balance I'd go to Mayrhofen even with the queue issue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brilliant - thanks for all the info... I've passed it all on to my fellow groups members and hopefully we'll have a decision soon...

I really appreciate everyone who has contributed so far.

The issue has been further complicated by me being offered a third choice - fully catered chalet in La Plagne. Aaarrrgghhhh!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hinterglemm.

Good'ish skiing. Good'ish atmosphere.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Further investigation has shown the hotel in Hinterglemm is actually be halfway between Saalback and hinterglemm - apparently it is about 300m from a lift, but 2k from the resort centre of Hinterglemm (and presumably the same distance ish from Saalbach).

So a pain in the back bottom for returning to hotel if you've stayed for a few apres drinks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat, Do you know where the accommodation in Mayrhofen is? Or the name of it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen - Pension Vier Jahreszeiten (this is what it said in my email, but i think it is the same as Gästehaus Vierjahreszeiten)

Hinterglem - Hotel Austria
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magic_hat,
According to the description on Tiscover ( http://www.tiscover.com/vierjahreszeiten.mayrhofen ) the Pension/Gaestehaus Vierjahreszeiten is 3 minutes walk from both the Penken and the Ahorn gondolas. I would have said it was a bit further than 3mins, in ski boots, but not many minutes more...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magic_hat, I stayed there in the Vier Jahreszeiten about 4 yrs ago.
It's a good location - about 3 mins walk to either Penken or Ahorn lifts.
when I stayed it was fine for what we paid (21 Euros B&B I think ), rooms were clean and roomy enough.
Breakfast was just continental style - don't expect a full buffet.
depending when you go, queues really arent that bad for Penken. It opens at 8am if you want to get up early and you'll get straight on the lift.
Even at peak times - the queue might look long, but each gondola has capacity of 15 so the queue disappears fast.
Alternatively start on the Ahorn and you'll have the mountain to yourself, then move later to Penken area.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't think many know the accommodations in Mayrhofen are very affordable. I stayed with Sommerer Pension in 2006 for 22 Euro per head B&B per night. The wife and I had an en-suite room and minutes walk from both Ahorn and Penken. This is one of the cheapest skiing place in the Alps. I didn't find queuing a problem either but I did drove around to ski the entire Zillertal valley.

As for Hinterglemm I couldn't remember seeing a queue anywhere there. I was staying in Zell am See when I made a couple of day trips to Saalbach/Leogang/Hinterglemm. I quite like Saalbach and had dinner in the town a few times there. I thought Hinterglemm is similar and very lively. It was Christmas and everybody was drinking outside. Hiterglemm is the place to be when comparing with Zell am See and Saalbach which also celebtaed the festive season in a big way.

Having to all three resorts I would drop La Plagne. It may be for skiers enjoying talking to fellow skiers while standing in the queues for an hour or two. It is the second busiest Alpine skiing resort after Meribel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy