Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand warmers

Poster: A snowHead
I have seen a couple of types of hand warmers on ebay. Would anyone be able to comment if they are worth taking along? Any problem putting them in hand luggage?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The "teabag full of iron filings" variety are great. Should be OK in hand luggage, although technically it is a little pouch full of chemicals designed to react and produce heat - which is sort of like a little bomb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was why I was a bit hesitant! There's another kind that I think is liquid and you can reheat them in a kettle, maybe they might be a safer bet?!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think you'd have more trouble getting a liquid hand warmer into hand luggage. Being that it is liquid and all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would'nt bother with hand luggage you only need a jobs worth and they are all in the bin Embarassed
Just fit them in spaces in boots and stuff
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
are these type ones any good for warming / drying ski boots overnight? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-LITTLE-HOTTIES-HAND-GLOVE-POCKET-WARMERS-10-PAIRS_W0QQitemZ330359394152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE?hash=item4ceaf44f68
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Those work OK in gloves (some have a pocket to take them). They warm up once the comtents are exposed to oxygen so don't get as hot on the mountain as they would at home. With good air circulation they last an hour or two. I doubt they'd dry your boots out.

The liquid ones are OK as well but appear to work by some form of wizardry!

adrian
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ones you fill with lighter fuel are great, but you need to buy your fuel when you arrive. Leads to me shouting at french women being difficult "ESSENCE POUR ZIPPO!"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dont get the liquid type, they are bulky and heavy and only last a very very short time.as the reaction that produces the heat happens as soon as you click the metal disk

Take the teabag type they last up to 8hrs (but are a bit slower to start to heat up) They are basically just iron fillings and and a salt so you end up with a bag full of rust when they are finished. Pretty safe but can get a bit hot if you accidentally burst the bag.

The charcol stick ones are really toasty but bulky and a b@gger to light
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munchimo, i like the teabag style ones. i continue to use them to warm my feet in bed overnight; however, they're probably too small to use to dry out your boots overnight. the trick to these ones are to place them into your gloves about an hour before you think you'll need them. and don't get them wet cos water stops the chemical reaction and you lose the heat from them quite rapidly.

the clicky-type ones don't last long at all but provide some amusement for bored people.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would buy some better gloves!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you get cold hands after a cafe stop then it's usually because you gloves are slightly damp (from sweat) when you take them off. This then cools and when you put them back on they feel cold and your body reduces the blood flow to your fingers to preserve core temp.

The answer is an old cyclist trick. When you stop, instead of putting your gloves down or in a coat pocket, tuck them into the waist band of your salopetes. This keeps them warm and you should be OK when you put them back on.

adrian
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
why even think of putting either kind in hand baggage? Sling them in the hold. As stated above, the tea bag style ones are great. A real comfort when you're all alone on a long cold slow chairlift in zero vis. Plus some music, of cours. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
agt wrote:
instead of putting your gloves down or in a coat pocket, tuck them into the waist band of your salopetes

Down the back, yeah?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58645
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
These are often good too Toofy Grin
latest report
paulio, It did cross my mind that someone might make that connection. Who said it needed to be the back? wink

adrian
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy