Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss: England's longest ski tow to open tomorrow

Poster: A snowHead
At last this season has delivered good rideable conditions at Yad Moss, one of England's last remaining outdoor ski tows.
The ski centre which is near Alston in the North Pennines is reporting a general covering of 10cms of powdery snow and skiing conditions are described as good. There are half metre drifts and many of the hollows have apparently filled in...

Access roads permitting the 600m Poma tow should operate the rest of this week and the runs will be pisted with the Club Kassboher tomorrow morning Very Happy

The forecast is for light to moderate north easterly winds and further snow showers over night and through tomorrow.

A day ticket is £10. Please park well off the road to allow snowploughs to pass and please do not bring your dog !

For up to date information ring the Yad Moss snow line 01228 561634
For details about access and facilities visit the website www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk

Just typical that a) I carn't escape out of the office this week and b) I'm supposed to be going to Zermatt on saturday.
Missing out on the local skiing is bound to spoil the beggining of my holiday Mad Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oooh, might see if Mrs NBT fancies a drive u on saturday. Wemay have had to cancel this week's holiday, but who needs to go to the alps when you have the pennines!

Seriously, I've had a hankering to ski in Englnad ever since I found out it was possible. Is it really worth the 3-hour drive from sout of manchester?

And have a good holiday!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt - thanks,

Would be better if you could take say Friday off - no queues. But otherwise Saturday could be a great day, particularly as it looks like the conditions are only going to improve over the next couple of days.

It probably is worth it if you really want to try English skiing. Just don't expect too much !

I would set off at the crack of dawn and aim to get to the car park by 9:30am earlier would be better. It probably will be busy.

However, I would strongly advise ringing the snowline on friday night to check that the roads are open Tebay/Kirby Stephen/Middleton in Teesdale may be the shortest route but difficult if there is blowing snow. Alternatively Penrith - Alston over Kirkstone pass, but at 1900'asl that can be tricky too. Also worth checking that the tow is still operating and that nothing serious has broken by then ! Shock
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S,

It doesn't inspire confidence asking skiers to check first to see the tow operating and nothing serious has broken after annoucing the longest ski tow would be opened 24 hours earlier.

Do we have another ski tow somewhere in UK? Could the Yadmoss toss be both the longest and the shortest ski tow at the same time, for natural snow I mean? I am discounting the real snow falling on the plastic dry slopes of course.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, There are a few ski lifts in england, in fact yad moss is very close to another at Harwood

More details here:

http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt,

Think I mix up this one with Glenridding which was reported early in the forum.

So not much good asking for the apres skiing night life then. Difficult decision to see if skiing on 10cm (4 inches) power any good even I am in Newcastle and have a 4x4. Must have passed this spot hundreds of time on a motorbike but never saw a lift tow. If it is skiable I wouldn't mind to give it a try and offer to take the local snowheads along.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glenridding is Raise ski tow, which is about one hour's walk from a car. Yad moss is much closer to a road, ithink

as for taking people along, Good idea, I was thinking of seeing if any other local snowheads fancy sharing a lift from manchester. I could do either day, and have a big estate so i could take 4 plus gear in comfort - although I'm willing to go with someone else, so I can have a bit of "apres"!

Anyone local fancy it? Ian Hopkinson, Snow bunny?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pictures, pictures!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My very exclamation on entering the National Gallery
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I go, I promise to take as many pictures as I can. You can see some of my previous work here:

http://nbt.valdiseretrip.fotopic.net/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apparently there were about 30 skiers and boarders there today and the tow ran perfectly. Several runs have now been pisted and the tow will run again tomorrow if the road is open. Much more snow fell last night and during this morning covering all tracks from Tuesday.

However, the mother of all snow storms is forecsat tonight and tomorrow morning. Up to 10 inchess is possible Shocked so the roads may be difficult particularly if the wind picks up.
However its blowing the snow into the runs and the prospects from tomorrow into the weekend are excellent.

This is how the local media are reporting the situation in eastern Cumbria;
http://www.cumbria-online.co.uk/viewarticle.asp?id=183395 Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No pics available from Yad moss yet, but in the meantime here is a picture taken today at the Allenheads ski club, not too far away.

http://www.ski-allenheads.co.uk/Allenheads-in-Snow-Feb-05.jpg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowheads heading for Yadmoss skiing tow should take note of the RAC news today 24 Feb.

CUMBRIA
A686 Both Ways Between Penrith And Alston .
The road is blocked by snow.

CUMBRIA
A689 Both Ways Between Alston And Nenthead .
The road is blocked due to snow.

CUMBRIA
B6276 Both Ways Between Brough And Middleton In Teesdale .
The road is closed due to snow.

CUMBRIA
B6277 Both Ways Between Alston And Middleton .
The road is blocked by snow.

It would take a miracle to get anywhere near Yad Moss which is on the blocked B6277 near Alston. So anybody managed please tell us how.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its possible that the B6277 will be open this afternoon at least from the Alston side. This morming it is reported as being open as far as Ashgill. In reality that usually means the Car Park at Yad Moss. However caution and sensible preparation are required. Easterly blizzards tend to fill the hill side of the road in so you may need to dig yourself well off the road to avoid getting snow ploughed.

check out the Nent head webcam - elevation 1500'
http://www.cybermoor.org/travel-services/webcams/webcam.asp?cam=nenthead

The prospects for some top skiing this afternoon, over the weekend and into next week are superb!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got a few pics from our local paper here ... theres a couple that were printed the other night. and the one of the guy pullin a 180 of my mate in 2003 when there was the last significant snow fall!

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/photos/KeywordSearch.aspx?keyword=ski

hmm still quite a bit of grass pokin through mind
latest report
whoops thats not the one of the 180 .. that was another one but i cant find that one ... hes just flyin over a farm wall instead, just as extreme.
snow report
Its all systems go at YM today. About 40 boarders and skiers walked up the road from Ashgill but by the afternoon the road had been ploughed out to the County boundary.

Not sure whether its open to Middleton in Teesdale or not but it probable is by now. The tow ran all day and the conditions are very good indeed with the best snow cover since 1996.

The forecast tomorrow is for lightish north easterly winds with the possibility of some more light snow showers tonight. Freezing level should be about 2000’ which is about the bottom of the lift.

The longer-range forecast is showing a return to northerly winds so the snow should last at least into next week.

Should be a great weekend. Have fun. Laughing
snow report
This report in the Independent on conditions generally through the UK:

Ski enthusiasts make the most of snowfall, but thaw is coming - article
snow report
Well its not too accurrate as Cumbria clearly didn't miss the snow ... I'm not sure about the lakes though, dunno if Hellvellyn was running. But I think the fells must have got a sprinklin. I'll check out my window in the morning.
snow report
Typical, I go to Zermatt for the week and miss the best Pennine skiing at Yad Moss for 10 years. Crying or Very sad

Unfortunately gale force cross lift northerly winds on Saturday caused derailments and the tow had to be stopped before lunch. However with all runs complete and new drifting snow, and a good forecast tomorrow it should be a classic. Little Angel

Will be there at the crack of dawn tomorrow and we hope to get all the runs pisted before the morning rush. If you fancy a taste of some of the best skiing England has to offer and you live in northern England, tomorrow could be the day. However get there early, if its very busy we may suspend day ticket sales at 11:00am in which caseyou would have to pay more for full membership.

Will send photos to snow heads and/or update the report and provide links.
snow conditions
Check out the Carlisle Ski Club gallery for the latest pictures from Yad Moss ! Blush

http://www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk/pictures2005.html
snow conditions
Fabulous days skiing today. Probably one of the best Pennine ski days for 10 years. snowHead

Check out the pictures over on Winterhighland
www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,53708

Were there any other snowheads there today ?
snow conditions
Mrs NBT is still poorly. I am trying to persuade her thta we should go next weekend if she's better, but must admit I'm sceptical about whether it'll be worth the three hour drive Sad
ski holidays
Peter S, Looks like I missed a good day over at Alston - typically with it being Mother's Day - couldn't get away from the family meal
Is the tow likely to run on Tues ? (providing it stays cold)
snow conditions
Peter S, if only I'd checked it out yesterday, I know what I'd loved to have done for Mother's Day.
snow conditions
Happily I met my mother at Yad Moss!

She seemed quite happy helping out in the ticket office, (prefers it to using Pomas) - now if only we had some detachable 6 man lifts - with the comfy padded seats - she may have been tempted to do some runs !

Check out the snowline and website above for intended opening times. It was open today and should have been good, not sure about tomorrow. Generally speaking mid week operation depends to some extent on the amount of interest logged on the answer phone.

Sunday was a classic day for UK skiing with more lifts and different areas operating than probably anytime in the last 10 years.

Weardale, Yad Moss, Allenheads and Harwood all ran their tows in addition to all the Scottish centres. The only area which did not run was Raise. The Lake District is sheltered by the Pennines and Southeren uplands from easterly blizzards.

Nice to have the choice of ski centres though Little Angel
ski holidays
Still plenty of snow in the North pennines.

Check out the Nenthead Webcam 1400'asl

http://www.cybermoor.org/travel-services/webcams/webcam.asp?cam=nenthead
ski holidays
The tow has been open all week with only minimal loss on the lowest runs. The upper runs are still well covered.

With the weather turning colder from Friday afternoon we expect some more snow showers .

Saturday looks windy but Sunday looks like being another classic !

Yad Moss Snow line 01228 561634
For details about access and facilities visit the website www.skicarlisle.skiers.co.uk
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S, is the situation up there still OK? Is it still looking good/OK for Sunday ?

Any white stuff falling up there in North Yorkshire yet snowHead

ps. How was Zermatt ? I didn't manage a visit to the North Wall on that Saturday...

I thought the piste conditions were great for skiing but was dissapointed that there was no off-piste for the board...
snow conditions
If you get a chance to go this weekend, I'd recommend you grab it with both hands. Looks like it won't last long into next week.
snow conditions
What happen if both hands grab mud/grass instead of snow? It has been 5 to 8 degree C in Newcastle for the whole week!

Snow Report from the site

"The milder weather that has appeared today, Thursday 10th March, means that there is now some very thin patches of snow.

The tow will not run tomorow Friday 11th March. Please check with the snow line for Saturday opening. "
snow conditions
Quote:
What happen if both hands grab mud/grass instead of snow?

Then you get a great day's hillwalking. Very Happy
snow report
Nenthead webcam and Howhill weather station indicate that there are still sizeable amounts of snow left. There has been signifiicant loss but we are hopeful that we can repair the damage and push some snow about. There was over eight feet of snow at the top so that won't have gone and even here in the Dales theer are still big skiable drifts. The problem will be some bare patches at the bottom.

I intend to get there early tomorrow, so perhaps ring the snowline in the morning for an update. Alternatively wait till Saturday night and I'll upload some pics and review conditions.

The cold air is pushing down through Scotland and should arrive soon. There is a possibility that the showers will then turn wintry so we may get a dusting at Yad Moss.

Slope slide temperature is currently about 4C but I expect that to fall soon with freezing level dropping to 2000'. On Sunday freezing level will fall to sea level.

Frozen grass is easier to ski across than Dendix and at least there are no stones at Yad Moss.
ski holidays
Quote:
Quote:
What happen if both hands grab mud/grass instead of snow?

Then you get a great day's hillwalking.

as well as very mucky hands Laughing

Thanks for the update Peter... I'll keep an eye on the website and your posts and hopefully I'll get up there on Sunday.
snow conditions
Great day today Saturday.

Surprisingly little snow lost during the week - mainly cosmetic. All the runs are open with a good depth of cover except at the very bottom where there are a few narrow sections just above the queue. See pics from today at http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,53708

If you haven't been there yet drop everything and get there tomorrow, before the mild air arrives next week.

Sunday should be a cracker lighter winds than today but still sunny. Laughing

Have a good one.
snow conditions
Brilliant morning's skiing at Yad Moss today, good snow cover even near the bottom. Shame couldn't stop all day.
Thanks to all the guys keeping things going up there.
ski holidays
I don't know about the others but I have added England as another country I have skied (real snow please!) after going up Yad Moss on Sunday. From home it is 46 miles.

Here is the report

and couple of photos, piste & top of lift

Pretty good snow too. I left home at 8 degree, not a grain of snow until a couple of miles from Alston, most of the journey was 5 degree. Resort temperature was 3 degree. The piste was actively maintained by volunteers and so a nice place to go skiing. The good snow condition could be due to a huge amount has fallen in the area and so plenty to go around. The road was blocked by snow for a good few days. Snow at a few points of the roadside was over 1m deep before the loose snow was stacked on it!
snow report
At last, some Snowheads find their way to YM.

Pleased that you had a good day. Very Happy

Sadly it looks like the mild weather this week is going to wipe us out.

See the last posts at http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,53708

for several other (similar) pictures.
ski holidays
Managed to get up there myself on Sunday afternoon.

Had a few great hours skiing and boarding before getting summoned off the hill by the wife.
I'll have to 'forget' the mobile next time Laughing

I was very impressed with the Yad Moss outfit and organisation. I'll be keeping a close eye on things next season.

Big thank you to Peter S and all the other volunteers for making Yad Moss the fantastic facility that it is.

Peter S, is there a need for more helpers on work parties etc ?
snow conditions
Yad Moss sounds great, but I worry that now it has been "discovered" it will be ruined before I manage to get up there with ghastly tower blocks, burger bars and rowdy scandanavians.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy