Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what sort of din setting

Poster: A snowHead
For a 5 year old - 112cm high , 25kg , on a pair of 100cm skis

and a good way to check the setting is not too high ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gazza2, You can use this site as a guide. http://www.dinsetting.com/
Disclaimer: It might be best to get it checked by a qualified ski technician to be sure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gazza2, please - if you have to ask the question, get it done professionally. Especially for a 5yr old.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mate of mine (french) in a ski school (same) at 4 years of age had DINs increased by instructor who got sick of putting skis back on kids. He broke a leg Crying or Very sad .
He still turned out to be one of the most naturally atletic people I know, one of those good at everything types Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RPF wrote:

He still turned out to be one of the most naturally atletic people I know, one of those good at everything types Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Surely that's a Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Embarassed

Lower is better. I think a torn ACL at 5 would be hell.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
whats the boot sole length?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Surely that's a Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Embarassed

No I'm bitter (he's better looking and smarter than me too) Its more of a Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dansmith, It's the length of the boot sole. It will be printed on the base of the base of the boot somewhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dansmith, i still dont get how a longer BSL results in a lower DIN. Do you know anything about that? I would have thought longer meant more leverage. Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liveezy wrote:
I would have thought longer meant more leverage. :~/

It does. The longer the boot, the more torque at the shin from the same forces at the toe and heel.

"DIN" window setting is therefore intentionally set lower to limit the force at toe and heel so as to limit the torque at the shin.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gazza2, I wouldn't learn how to set the DINs on your child's skis - learn on your own skis, and take the 5 year old's to a technician!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get someone who's qualified to do it, unless you have a penchant for roast 5yr old human leg...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not wishing to disparage "qualified ski technicians", but how do we think they know what setting to use? They look it up on a chart, or on a bit of software - input height, weight, bootsole length and skier type (1, 2, or 3), and age - under 10 or over 50 makes a difference. and use what it comes up with.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, they also set the binding correctly (including forward pressure) and are trained to do so.
latest report
arv, Agreed, but it is not exactly rocket science. (I am "qualified" and trained to set bindings at our dry slope). Sometimes peoples blind faith in a "qualified ski technician" is astonishing when that person could be a Saturday boy with a few hours training. I would always trust my own skills and attention ahead of an unknown in a ski shop. (I do realise that there are some highly skilled professionals around, but it is by no means universal)
latest report
To comment further I would be making assumptions of how much knowledge the OP has. If I didn't know what I was doing, I'd rather trust a random ski tech...
ski holidays
The whole reason for asking the question - is justified by the debate

last year ( when he was smaller ) - we had three holidays

Skis set at 2 , 2, 2.5 din ( and never came off)

the Chart recommends 1.5

As i value his legs - I am tempted to go for the lower setting unless skis keep coming off

the bottom line is I like to have an understanding of what is correct - probably will
go to a technician as for what they will charge it will be worth it

but seriously - if you kid broke his leg in a fall, would you look at the skis
decide they were poorly set and then try to find the Person that fitted then and sue !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy