Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone think resort websites are rubbish?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to La Plagne in Jan so hooked to webcams etc for the area. The Paradiski site is atrocious. 50% of the links don't work and you end up going in circles.
Try to get to the interactive piste map if you have nothing to do for 30 mins or so. (I can't be ar*ed putting a link I'd rather you enjoyed the run around) rolling eyes

Planning a trip to Avoriaz in March. Theirs is just as bad.

It's as if someone has told all the resorts that they must compete online to succeed and now they are trying to "out do" the others.

Just give me basic info and I'm happy. I don't give a toss if some ski racer reckons your resort is ace, so don't make me watch him drivel on just get me to the info.
End rant Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just realised this should be in "The Piste" section. Someone move it. Ta. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I agree - unfortunately the French ones all seem to be stuck in a orgy of flashturbation and interactive piste maps..

All I want is simple quick access to lift-pass prices, a hi-res jpeg of the piste map, a detailed village map with all properties listed (not like LP 1800!) current snow conditions and accommodation ideas - preferably a central booking system like a number of the austrian resorts operate.

However I do like the video fly-over's of the different villages in La Plagne - definitely helps a little to orientate oneself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michael B, Yes and No.

Yes, The Val Thorens site is a self important, slow and difficult to navigate disaster, the Les Arcs one quicker but designed by someone for whom intuition is a concept studied at University.

No, The Zermatt site is a model of efficient transfer of lots of information, well signposted, if a little dull. My least favourite site of all, Les Carroz has just been redesigned this year and is now an example of how it can be done well.

All worthwhile information is on this site now, if only it could be searched more easily...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Far too many of them are Flash based.

The Zermatt one is ace though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for zermatt, but then look at the cervinia one in comparision. alot of the swiss ones are good. interactive piste and lift maps are the way forward, so are clear and precise weather and pricing info.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Michael B, bertie bassett, yes, indeed. Completely agree. Udseful information and a site that loads faster than I can boil a kettle and make a coffee.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
papasmurf wrote:
interactive piste and lift maps are the way forward, .

why?

If I'm not in resort then do I really care whether Marmottes piste is open for business? If I'm looking in the 3-4 days before a trip then I can probably find that info out quicker from a list.

If I am in resort I'll probably look more at local signs than the web-site.

Over-kill and a tadge unnecessary IMHO
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i think the avoriaz site is pretty good actually, on the other hand the killington one where we went last year was awful
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my pet hate is the French (and Austrian) sites' "English versions", which are quite often still in French/German.... GRRR.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find being able to identify what pistes/lifts are open extremely useful. On the day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
papasmurf wrote:
interactive piste and lift maps are the way forward,

No, they are a way for web designers to appear "clever".

They are an abomination IMO, because I have yet to se one which is anywhere near as clear as the standard static ones which are basically just an image of the paper piste map.

Quote:

so are clear and precise weather and pricing info.

That, definitely, together with proper lists of open lifts & pistes, although that is only of much use to locals.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seeing as I am going to Alpe D Huez soon, I have been watching the websites related to the place. The official one is not so good at all, few updates, and full of usual PR stuff.

But there is an unofficial one, with better webcams, independent reports, and is much more useful. It seems that sometimes there is an unofficial site for a resort. www.alpedhueznet.com is a better one than the official one IMO. And the pics on here of the resort are even more useful Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett wrote:
papasmurf wrote:
interactive piste and lift maps are the way forward, .

why?

If I'm not in resort then do I really care whether Marmottes piste is open for business? If I'm looking in the 3-4 days before a trip then I can probably find that info out quicker from a list.

If I am in resort I'll probably look more at local signs than the web-site.

Over-kill and a tadge unnecessary IMHO

I love interactive maps and their purpose is not so much to give you info on what pistes are open as much as a lot clearer idea of the piste map where you can click on the piste to find out its size...etc
snow report
I love them when they work. It's just that the 2 examples above don't work as they should and appear to be influenced by a sales type telling the local authority that its necessary in this modern world.

I used to work for the IOM Tourism Dep't so I've seen this 1st hand. The Dept I used to work for is still being sold these misconceptions and I see it in the Alps authorities as well.

I still think this is in the wrong section by the way. snowHead
ski holidays
interactive ones are better then static ones for me as they tell me whats open, where as static ones don't give me that info.. so if I get up in the morning and its bad weather I can check whats up and running and head of to the right lifts. So probably before I go the static is important and when i'm in resort i want an interactive one.

but i still like proper piste mapping aswell.

again i'll point to the zermatt site, that offers both interactive and a very good standard piste map, where as there are plenty that can't even offer a proper static piste map.
latest report
I had to bring this topic back because the Val Thorens web forecast today is atrocious in its content. It disagrees with itself over freezing level today and on Xmas eve the icon is full sun but it says snow everywhere and very cloudy.

Get a grip and stop Evil or Very Mad Flashturbating Evil or Very Mad (just had to re-se that wonderful descriptor bertie bassett snowHead snowHead snowHead )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy