Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for Zermatt Help

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings all!
My wife and I will be taking our first ski trip to Europe this February. Our plan is to go to Zermatt. We are flying in and out of Geneva, arriving February 10th and leaving the 15th. That gives us four nights in Zermatt. We are having a hard time finding a hotel. It seems like most are booked or don't allow stays shorter than 7 nights. Can anyone offer us some suggestions on where to stay or at least give us some hope that things may open up as it gets closer? I'm worried that we may have to go somewhere else.
Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi jerlane

Try this one
http://www.hotel-antares.ch/gesamt_e.htm
Give them a call and ask for Moniker (the owner)

Nice hotel - closest one to the main lift - "very" good food - watch out for naked, fat, old, hairy and loud Germans in the sauna - probably the best views from bedrooms in the town (ask for a south facing room) - bar "very" expensive - all rooms have marble/swarovski crystal bath rooms (with side jet showers which are "very" strange) - nice lounge area – you don’t need to book set weeks (so will suit your requirements).

Stayed in this hotel many times

If this doesn't work, you could give the main tourist office a call
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/

Good luck
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

February 10th and leaving the 15th

These clash with some school holidays in Europe which may explain your problem. I hope Wayne's recommendation works out becase Z is a magical place. Alternatively had you thought about renting an apartment? Book for a week and stay 4 nights doesn't work out too badly price wise, and the tourist office has lots of properties listed.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-12-09 10:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne wrote:
Hi jerlane

Try this one
http://www.hotel-antares.ch/gesamt_e.htm
Give them a call and ask for Moniker (the owner)

Nice hotel - closest one to the main lift - "very" good food - watch out for naked, fat, old, hairy and loud Germans in the sauna - probably the best views from bedrooms in the town (ask for a south facing room) - bar "very" expensive - all rooms have marble/swarovski crystal bath rooms (with side jet showers which are "very" strange) - nice lounge area – you don’t need to book set weeks (so will suit your requirements).

Stayed in this hotel many times

If this doesn't work, you could give the main tourist office a call
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/

Good luck

Went to Hotel Antares last year. Nice hotel, fine location. A few remarks:
- Rooms are smallish
- Bar might be expensive, but not always occopied. they didn't seem to care if you got a beer yourself Blush
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne wrote:
watch out for naked, fat, old, hairy and loud Germans in the sauna - probably the best views from bedrooms in the town (ask for a south facing room)

The bedroom windows look out onto the Sauna? - strange these Swiss for sure
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett,
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies so far. We are still having trouble getting a room for our last night. One thing I am considering would be splitting the trip up into two destinations. Would it be reasonable to do two nights in Zermatt then two nights somewhere else, preferably on the way back to Geneva? The alternative is to book the first three nights in Zermatt and cross our fingers that we can find a room for the last night.

Thanks again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you contacted the tourist office directly yet?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can reccomend this place in Zermatt, www.hotelbahnhof.com.

Very good stopped there lots of times.
will rent rooms by the day. Right in the centre of town. Be quick as this is hight of the season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The youth hostel has double rooms free that night - www.youthhostel.ch. It's a great place to stay.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I haven't tried the tourist office yet. Should I call them? Thanks for the tip on the hostel. We're in our late thirties (hurts to say that) and I doubt my wife would go for that.
Any other ideas?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jerlane, I would use the tourist office they have always come up trumps for me - they found this place which we have stayed at three times and have done odd periods even at Christmas - they speak good English. Its not the plushest place in Zermatt but is comfortable, central and serves plentiful food!

http://www.zermatt.net/alphubel/

They are on Tripadvisor is you want more background

Also someone else on Snowheads recommended http://www.darioli.ch/e/presentation.html which I will be checking out whilst out there next week.

Good luck
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you don't mind taking a train up to zermatt in the morning, you could stay down in Tasch - hotels there would have more flexibility, I would think. Not sure whether there is also some accommodation in Randa?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skimark,
Thanks for the tips. I sent an inquiry to Hotel Darioli. As far as the tourist office goes, is it best to contact them by telephone? Please let me know if you discover any gems while there next week. We'd be interested in any suggestion for food, skiing, drinking, etc.
Have fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone stayed at The Hotel Antika? That seems to be one of the few places with availability. I've read mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. Anyone have any thoughts?
snow conditions
Yep, I have stayed in Hotel Anitka and am in fact booked to stay again in a few weeks. It is not the Ritz but is in a good location, in between Klein Matterhorn and Sunnega lifts. Also just down the road from a good apres ski pub - Papperla. The staff are friendly and the rooms adequate. By Zermatt standards it is good value for money.
snow conditions
Alfie, welcome to snowHeads, good person, taking the time to register just to answer some random stranger's question. Stick around, won't you? I'm off to Zermatt for the first time on the 10th, can't wait!
latest report
jerlane, it's our digs of choice in Zermatt, comfortable, reasonably priced, and best of all, within crawling distance of the Papperla and Schneewitchen Wink
ski holidays
Well thanks everyone for the advice here. I'm happy to say that we are now booked at Hotel Antika. Now that we have that part taken care of, I'd love to hear recommendations on other things about Zermatt. Where to ski, eat, drink etc. My wife is an intermediate skier and tends to prefer groomed type runs. I'm not sure if they groom there at all. I am more aggressive and might be interested in hiring a guide for a day of off-piste skiing. Any other pearls of wisdon would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
ski holidays
jerlane wrote:
I'm not sure if they groom there at all.

Lots of groomed pistes (the majority, like elsewhere). The Matterhorn glacier area is pretty flat and easy (but can be chilly).

There are many unprepared ski routes too. If you like moguls, try Triftji (33) or Momatt (60).
snow conditions
Ive only skied on the Kleine Matterhorn area so cant really offer any hints on the terrain but dont - whatever you do! - miss the small area in town called Hinterdorf. As you walk up the main street from the Bahnhof on your left youll find Hinterdorfstrasse, down which you will see the most utterly stunning ancient Swiss farming buildings, old sheds, stables, that kind of thing...i think the oldest one dates from the 16th c! That place seriously blew me away...absolutely breathtakingly beautiful!

Also dont miss the viewing platform at the top of the Kleine Matterhorn lift for jaw-dropping views of what feels like the entire Alps, Mont Blanc, Dent Blanche, Weisshorn....incredible!

Ha...yeah, im kinda fond of Zermatt! Youll have an amazing holiday....
ski holidays
I've been a couple of times. these tips worked for me:-

- Kleine Matterhorn is the best start point, direct access to Matterhorn area and Cervinia, easy to get to Gornergrat, bit of a trek over to Sunnega. Get there about 8.20 to avoid the worst of the queues.

- the 22km run down from the top of Kleine Matterhorn down to Valtournenche (on the Cervinia side) has to be done.

- If the snow is good you should be able to ski more or less to your hotel (last bit on footpaths, etc but heh).

- North Wall bar is a good place for a quiet beer and a pizza

- Pavements (sidewalks) can be lethal, sheet ice
snow conditions
I've only been once and loved the place. The runs above Trockner Steg were fantastic for the kind of thing your wife is looking for.

DO NOT SPEED if you are hiring a car, just don't
latest report
jerlane, go for lunch at Zum See (marked with a blue sign on last piste down to Furi), Chez Vrony (in the hamlet of Findeln) and Chalet Etoile (over in Cervinia). 3 of the best mountain restaurants in the alps. You'll need to book a table for all of them.

For piste cruising Cervinia is perfect - I second the comment from Colin B about doing the long run down to Valtournenche (have a real Italian hot chocolate at the bottom)

For off piste there is also lots of great stuff. Both Rotthorn and Stockhorn have lots of lift accessed terrain. For long glaciated descents the Untertheodulgletscher, basically under the Kleine Matterhorn cable car and the Schwarztor (40min hike round the Breithorn) are both excellent and accessible. There are crevasses on both routes so you would be safer taking a guide.
snow report
I haven't been on here in a few weeks, unfortunately our dog got sick, so we were pretty bogged down dealing with that. Thanks to everyone on the tips for skiing and places to eat. The trip is now less than two weeks away and we are getting very excited. I have just a few more questions... 1. What about lift tickets? Any way to get them cheaper? Here in the States there are usually some options. 2. Any info on hiring a ski guide? I'll be skiing with my wife most of the time, but may go solo for a day and a guide would be cool, but I'm not sure about 400sfr. 3. Should we be booking our train tickets now as well? Any tips on that one? We are going in and out of Geneva.

You guys have been great, keep the tips coming!
ski holidays
jerlane wrote:
I'll be skiing with my wife most of the time, but may go solo for a day and a guide would be cool, but I'm not sure about 400sfr.

400chf for a guide in Zermatt would be cheap!

If you are serious about getting a guide I would recommend an Italian guy called Marco Zaninetti. You can contact him at info@alpsexperience.it and his number is +393282797870. If he can't take you himself he will be able to recommend someone.
snow report
I don't believe that there are any discounts on the lift tickets - unfortunately the price you see is the price you pay.

I recommend the International pass which allows you to ski over to Cervinia. The 4 day Zermatt only pass is 253CHF whilst the International is 286CHF. A day upgrade (to the Zermatt only pass) is 39CHF so if you want to ski over to Italy its actually cheaper to get the International pass. If you do purchase the International Pass and the links over to Italy are shut for the duration of your pass, the ticket office should give you a refund on the International amount.

Prices are at http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/p_skipass

Enjoy it - its a great place!
ski holidays
Thanks guys. Any idea how much Marco charges?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the train ticket. 1st or 2nd class? I'm thinking 2nd class would be fine for the 3.5 hour journey. 1/2 prices passes, day passes? The website doesn't seem to lay it out very clearly. FYI, we're planning on bringing our skis with us. Will that be a problem on the train?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You shouldn't have a problem with the skis on the train, there is usually plenty of space at the end of the carriage and some even have special racks for holding them - although these seem to be better suited to locals who don't put their skis in bags. If its quiet enough we put our double ski bag on the rack above the seats, this way we don't have to keep an eye on it. We have travelled both 1st and 2nd class and the rolling stock between Geneva and Visp isn't that luxurious (not like the double deckers that run to Zurich) - despite this we always purchase 1st class now. This is because it is quieter and we can usually get 4 seats to ourselves rather than luxury.

The other point is that whenever we have done this trip, there has been no buffet car or food/snack trolley and 3.5 hours passes much quicker with food! There is a Migros supermarket at Geneva Airport right at the end of the main concourse (past where the escalators go down to the platforms) so I tend to nip into there and buy some bread, cheese and ham and some water for the trip.

There is a transfer train ticket which is a fixed price and allows for a return train journey from the point of entry to Switzerland to any resort and is only available outside of Switzerland although I can't find whether they will ship to the States. The best bet is to ring the people at The Swiss Travel Centre in London and see if they can advise you. http://www.stc.co.uk/
ski holidays
Thanks, Nibbler. It looks like the transfer ticket may be what we are looking for. They ship to the US for free with three day delivery. Great suggestion. I also appreciate the tip about picking up some food. We'll be sure to do that as well.
snow conditions
You can get rail tickets and lift passes from www.swisspasses.com with 5% discount on the passes
ski holidays
We downgraded from first to second class on the Swiss trains this year because of the recession and weren't disappointed. The days of the wooden seats and the hole in the floor toilets of 2nd class 20 years ago have thankfully passed - and these were the reasons we went 1st in the first place. IMV it's worth saving the £30-£40 per person and going 2nd.
snow conditions
jerlane, at the lift office you will be offered the option opf paying in ChFf or US$. Pay ChF because the dollar rate they offer is pants.
snow conditions
Quote:

You can get rail tickets and lift passes from www.swisspasses.com with 5% discount on the passes

Wow I didn't know it was possible to get discounts on Swiss lift passes! I'll be using this site myself - thanks!
ski holidays
price for international pass on swiss pass £251,00 but price on door at current exchange rate £238.00 . currency going right way at the moment so maybe best bought in resort in swiss francs Shock
latest report
They actually both come out at the same price at the moment £241 inc pass deposit. Swisspasses exchange rates aren't dynamic, I expect they will change (downwards).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy