Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Snow Conditions in Mayrhofen in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend and i are discussing the merits of going to the Snowbombing festival in Mayrhofen between 4 - 10 April. Has anyone got any idea what the snow is generally like out there at that time of year, i know its got a good base and it has a glacier but just wanted to get some advice.

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in the same boat, the resort looks good and a pparently snow will be ok.

Me and a few guys are up for this however snowbombing is at the end of the season, unfortunatly I can only really afford one ski holiday this season, so I need to know will the expense be worth it? Or am I better spending my money to go elsewhere?

I know snowboming is more about the music and partying but I love my skiing, plan is for us to ski during the day preferably hitting the slopes before noon, and then hit up partys/stages in the evening.

Sorry to hijack but would really appreciate other people oppinions on this.

Nat
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Sorry to hijack
I don't think that you're hijacking when the first post was from 2005 njathind!

Two points:
1. There is a lot of fairly high skiing in the Ziller Valley, including the year-round Hintertux Glacier.
2. People who generally ski earlier in the season tend to have a natural 'Will there be snow in April' anxiety/paranoia.

In a nutshell, there will be snow and there will be some decent skiing - late season snow cover is generally more reliable than early season snow cover. And higher Austrian resorts are excellent at keeping valley runs open until the end of the season. I'd go for it if I were you Smile .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Mayrhofen pretty much every Easter since about 2001 and had great snow every year.

See here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=easter#2124833
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimboS, That can't be true!? There have been some terrible Aprils!

Had snowbombings that were just superheated slushfests but still enough snow on the pistes to keep them all open! also you can get lucky...

http://youtube.com/v/TM-CYH1HaUg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sure you can end up with slush on the lower runs as it gets so hot at Easter so just head up higher or up to Tux, since 2001 there have only been one or two years when we did not get fresh powder. This year we had fantastic powder days again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D'oh, failed to spot that this topic was started in 05 Embarassed

Thats actually really helpfull guys, I'm used to heading out to austria around late february/early march.
Went obergurgle last year at the start march and snow was really good, I'm asuming I can expect similar conditions in mayrohfen?

As long as I know there will be decent skiing, even if I have to look for it then I'll be happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Went obergurgle last year at the start march and snow was really good, I'm asuming I can expect similar conditions in mayrohfen?

Last year was a pretty spectacular year for snow throughout the Alps, I think - and even if it hadn't been, no assumptions should be made about conditions being the same year on year.

Quote:

I love my skiing, plan is for us to ski during the day preferably hitting the slopes before noon

in spring conditions it's generally preferable to hit the slopes a little before noon. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimboS, who travels to the Tux on snowbombing? that defeats the purpose of going to snowbombing!!

I'm sure there will be some decent snow about, Eggalm and Rastkogel will be fine.... njathind, just book up, it'll be great fun, just remember you will probably be skiing hungover/drunk most of the time so it wont matter!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Last year was a pretty spectacular year for snow throughout the Alps, I think - and even if it hadn't been, no assumptions should be made about conditions being the same year on year.

Quote:

I love my skiing, plan is for us to ski during the day preferably hitting the slopes before noon

in spring conditions it's generally preferable to hit the slopes a little before noon. wink

Oh dont worry, I'm not assuming the snow will be as good as my last trip to tyrol. But just using it to have a rough idea of what to expect.

dulcamara wrote:
JimboS, who travels to the Tux on snowbombing? that defeats the purpose of going to snowbombing!!

I'm sure there will be some decent snow about, Eggalm and Rastkogel will be fine.... njathind, just book up, it'll be great fun, just remember you will probably be skiing hungover/drunk most of the time so it wont matter!

dulcamara all I've got to do now is get the go ahead from my friends and then I'm booking the trip.
Skiing whilst drunk? I wont tell my buddy Adam about that, he's a bit of a ninny sometimes . . . Blue
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tbh, if the snow is bad during Snowbombing week, you probably won't care too much, there's so much else going on. That said, I was out for the very last week of last winter, the week after snowbombing and I couldn't believe how much snow there was! The Ahorn Abfahrt was even open into town which I've never seen before that late in the season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara wrote:

Had snowbombings that were just superheated slushfests but still enough snow on the pistes to keep them all open! also you can get lucky...

Is that down the side of 5 off the back of the Penken, looks like you got great conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2012 Eggalm was closed after Easter Monday. Snowbombing was earlier this year (first week of April rather than 2nd week) and snow was great, stating with whiteout on Sunday. JimboS just disappeared, had to go to the Hexen Kessl for happy hour. For snow conditions every Easter for the last 10 or so years see

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2133898&highlight=#2133898

Jim has no photos of good snow for 2007, I wonder why? Wink Joking apart, although most of us probably remember 2007 as being poor, snow came late and I'm sure the Hoff had snow, St Anton certainly did in the first week of April.

I do wonder tho if skiing is more important than the music if going earlier in the season would make more sense. Despite how good the snow looks in the photos, even in this cracker of a season, some days were genuinely spring season conditions, ie moosh whereas at New Year they were great and mid Jan were epic. I know I should try some other resorts, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. And the boys in a break from tradition are hitting Soelden this Jan.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2013 Update

With Ghostdog and family for lunch at the Vogelnest.

A bit of willies apri in the Hexenkessel as it closed in.

The next morning.

The next afternoon, 25degC on the balcony.

Erin and Emma coming out of the valley of doom, badly.

http://youtube.com/v/G9aVEEBTCu4

And a random up at the Grill Hoff Alm

http://youtube.com/v/x5LDNluib_8

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 22-08-13 1:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Valley of Doom most amusedly Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy