Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in France - highvisibility jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from France, something we were advised to do was to make sure we had the jacket within the passenger cabin, so that it can be put on before you leave the car, seems sensible, apparently your local friendly Gendarmes have been know to check.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
radar, I wear mine in bed just in case
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I'll give it a try, might help Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wear mine in bed just in case

regular or extra safe? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anarchicsaltire, ribbed, for her pleasure.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

apparently your local friendly Gendarmes have been know to check

Enough said! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
radar, anarchicsaltire, Swirly, sometimes the only way to get attention
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should have one for each passenger.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

one for each passenger.

for safey, yes, but not legally required in France I believe (though it is for some countries). We have two and hang them over the back of our seats. They make eminent sense for those times when you have to put on snowchains in the dark and have nowhere to pull really safely off he road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It became obligatory in France to have a warning triangle and high vis jackets in the car from July 2008. The decret number is:
DECRET
Décret n° 2008-754 du 30 juillet 2008 portant diverses dispositions de sécurité routière

and the wording is:
Le conducteur doit revêtir un gilet de haute visibilité conforme à la réglementation lorsqu'il est amené à sortir d'un véhicule immobilisé sur la chaussée ou ses abords à la suite d'un arrêt d'urgence. En circulation, le conducteur doit disposer de ce gilet à portée de main.

I only know as I was in a car with a friend when we were stopped and the gendarme quoted the law etc and friend's hubbie is a lawyer and she took down the details to check it out and the gendarme was right bien sur Laughing My son also had to recently sit a french road safety exam and there was a question about high vis jackets in cars and on bikes,scooters etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
when i hire the car when i go skiing do u recon 1 will be supplied???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, I'd call them and ask if I were you, no sense in risking hefty fine for something like vis jackets
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder, depends where you're hiring a car. There's always been one in the rental cars in Italy (Rome). But they pack up small and only cost a few £ so pack one in handbagage if you're concerned.

France isn't the only country where Hi-Viz is required. Italy and Austria and elsewhere too. I can't keep track of what's required where, so I have Warning Triangle, Hi-Viz, 1st Aid Kit and Spare Bulbs in the car until such time as EU makes the requirements consistent in all countries.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im picking car up at geneva swiss side, i will pack a high viz but if i have to start packing warning triangles then i will have to take less clothes!!! like you say though, better than a fine
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Quote:

I wear mine in bed just in case

regular or extra safe?

Ribbed strawberry flavour
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Our last hire car from the swiss side had two in the glove box so I wouldn't worry about putting one in your suitcase!
ski holidays
ok, thanks homphomp,
ski holidays
easiest probably
grab a couple from ikea they are only a couple of quid, and pack up tiny

the kids think the non yellow ones are cool to parde around in
snow report
I'd be very surprised if french police made an issue if a car hired from a reputable firm in another country wasn't equipped with the mandatory safety equipment (unless the driver got arsey with them, which is always a really bad idea). A high vis gilet is cheap, light and you'll be glad of it if you have to put on chains at night or change a wheel. But I certainly wouldn't take a triangle on a flight, personally - that's getting a bit ridiculous. I used both my triangle and high vis jacket when we stopped at night to tow a Porsche Cayenne out of a snowdrift.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'd be very surprised if french police made an issue if a car hired from a reputable firm in another country wasn't equipped with the mandatory safety equipment (unless the driver got arsey with them, which is always a really bad idea). A high vis gilet is cheap, light and you'll be glad of it if you have to put on chains at night or change a wheel. But I certainly wouldn't take a triangle on a flight, personally - that's getting a bit ridiculous. I used both my triangle and high vis jacket when we stopped at night to tow a Porsche Cayenne out of a snowdrift.

Ah but can you take chains in the carry-on luggage?
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, I think it also depends which company you use. I hired a car from Geneva Swiss side last year and the high vis jackets were not included but could be hired for an extra charge. We actually risked it and went without (despite the fact we were heading for France) so I think the charge must have been fairly high as I would have paid if it had only been small. I would take yours with you to be on the safe side. Sorry, I can't remember which car hire company it was.
snow report
pam w wrote:

should have left in the drift. One less ugly porker on the road
snow report
NatalieG, Its honestly not worth risking it. If your car breaks down in the mountains, trust me from first hand experience you will want a high vis jacket so that especially if it happens at night you can get out the car safely. When we broke down it would have made getting out the car extremely dangerous.
latest report
Required in Spain too. Some hire cars have 'em, some don't.
snow conditions
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf
claims Austria, Belgium, Italy, Spain and France

As for warning triangles, I thought pretty much all cars in EU had them affixed just inside the boot door, but maybe it's only in those countries where it's compulsory. Interestingly the AA claims such a device is not Compulsory in Germany, but it is compulsory to use one if you break down (and Germany is the only place where I see them used). Maybe only Compulsory for cars registered there?
latest report
Hired a car thro Budget in Geneva, came with 'winter pack' as reqd by Swiss law, winter tyres, chains and 2x viz vests.
None of which helped dig it out of the snow after being parked for a week in Verbier....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy