Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiwelt

Poster: A snowHead
some cheap deals to the ski welt at the moment. i am hoping to head there on 9th jan but a little concerned re lack of pistes being open at the moment. Particularly looking at the ellmau end. fairly new to this so would you suggest waiting to see what happens, or should the snow be pretty good by then ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ellmau is quite low (top point 1580m ish?), so it's not surprising there aren't many runs open yet (I'm surprised there are *any*). Unless it's a particularly bad year 9th Jan should be a different story, and most pistes should be fine.

So it's maybe an unhelpful answer (but that's not going to stop me giving it wink ), but it depends on why you're waiting. If you want to be guaranteed excellent snow (or powder), then wait. If you're after a bargain and the deals you've seen (where, out of interest?) sound good, then go for it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elvis6093, there are several of us who actually live in this area, so you can rely on ACCURATE reports on the snow as well information about the general region.

It is still very early in the season - remember Christmas is still 2 weeks away. I left my house (at a mere 800m) on the 4th Dec with no snow and warmish temperatures. I returned this lunch time to temperatures below 0°C and a good 30cms of snow. I know this for a fact as I had to help my friend dig out her car, which she left outside my garage! A lot can happen in the mountains in a few hours, let alone a few days. I have just returned from 10 days skiing in Sölden (village height 1382m) where it has snowed non-stop for the last 3 days. A short way further west, St Anton is not yet able to open fully. Swings and roundabouts in the mountains!

The Wilder Kaiser/Ski Welt area is a good snow sure area and is going to open properly, as will most resorts in Austria, on 19th December. This coming week we are forecast temperatures as low as -24°C at night and the day time temperatures are also due to be correspondingly low. Any snow that falls will be falling on to a frozen base and mixed with blown snow (to call it artificial snow is an insult with the state of the technology these days). As most of the slopes are covered in grass this means you can safely open the pistes with a cover of as little as 5cm of packed base. The tourist trade is Austria's biggest single employer and income earner - they will do everything in each community to ensure that their guests have a fabulous time and go away after their holiday raring to return. The money each community earns stays in that community and is invested to ensure the experience is as good as it can be.

A great deal of tosh is talked about "height" and snow cover - yes there have been bad years; the most recent one for us in our SE corner of the Alps was 2006/2007. The year before that we had snow at my "paltry" 800m from the third week in November until the first week in May. An advantage for the Austrian, Südtyrol and Swiss resorts in general is that most of the pistes are used for summer grazing. This means that they hold the snow better (grass) and can open with less depth than is usually needed to open in the French areas for example. The snowline is generally higher in France, hence all the high level resorts, but they need more snow to open as they are often above the summer grazing areas. A visit to some of the PDS resorts in summer would show you this - Les Gets is classic Alpine farm land, Avoriaz is (despite lots of investment in landscaping), a waste land akin to the slate mines of North Wales!

http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/wettervorhersage/7_tagesvorhersage/?id=ATAT30120 this is a link to the weather page for Ellmau. You can tease yourself checking this every day for the time being!

Sue wink in the very snowy Borderland between Austria and Germany!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, Thanks. I'm out next week. The -24 was even -29 on Snow Forecast but they seem to have knocked that back into the mid teens now and showing + temps at village height on around 20th.

It does continue to amaze me how the "low" myth keeps getting trolled out (I blame the media). Some people need to go back and do elemtary geography or maybe just look at a map.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, big party at Ellmau on Saturday afternoon (19th) - probably lots of other stuff going on too in Söll, Scheffau, Brixen, etc! They don't need much of an excuse for a party out here! All the resorts try hard to get something happening outside of the school holidays so that the adult punters (who spend more money) really do have a great time. Great skiing in Sölden this past 10 days with virtually no kids evident - that includes the "radical teens" - it's illegal to take kids out of school in Austria and Germany unless that child is sick or an immediate family member has died - can't even them get out for family weddings! Kids who were missing from my school in the week before a holiday had to produce an authentic doctor's note stating what was wrong and how long they were "signed off" for. Failure to compply could result in the parents being fined and possibly losing some of their "Kindergeld" (family allowence?).

Where are you going to be based? I'm hoping to be able to ski on Friday or maybe at the weekend.

Sue wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:

It does continue to amaze me how the "low" myth keeps getting trolled out

I'm not sure if that was a response to my comment or not. Confused
You have to admit, though, that Ellmau is relatively low even for an Austrian ski resort (1555m, vs. say Saalbach at 2000m+). Don't misunderstand me, I'm a very big fan of early season skiing in Austria (seemingly much more reliable than even the highest French resorts), and like I said, by the 9th Jan I'd have thought snow would be fine in all but the worst of seasons...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A great deal of tosh is talked about "height" and snow cover - yes there have been bad years; the most recent one for us in our SE corner of the Alps was 2006/2007. The year before that we had snow at my "paltry" 800m from the third week in November until the first week in May. An advantage for the Austrian, Südtyrol and Swiss resorts in general is that most of the pistes are used for summer grazing. This means that they hold the snow better (grass) and can open with less depth than is usually needed to open in the French areas for example. The snowline is generally higher in France, hence all the high level resorts, but they need more snow to open as they are often above the summer grazing areas. A visit to some of the PDS resorts in summer would show you this - Les Gets is classic Alpine farm land, Avoriaz is (despite lots of investment in landscaping), a waste land akin to the slate mines of North Wales!

Very well said....except for the rather rude comment about North wales. The slate quarrying areas are one of the most interesting landscapes in the Britsih Isles IMHO snowHead

The other point about Austria is that it is much further away from the Atlantic and consequently the freezing level is usually a lot lower. 1300 m in Austria is probably worth at least 1600m in France. The grassy slopes also mean very little snow is required and greatly helps piste management. This is Partly why the Sella Ronda is so good, dramatic scenery yet skiing mainly on grassy runs. Austria is also a good deal less windy than the western alps which means that the runs tend to get less scoured. Other than perhaps Val d'isere which has unusually smooth upper runs for the French Alps, early season skiing is much more reliable in Austria. The disadvantage of alpine pastures is that they can be more prone to avalanche and once the thaw comes they may not hold their snow as well as rocky slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, thanks for that...it has put my mind at rest some what. We are going to Soll on 27th Feb, having been to Obertauern for past 4 years, which has such reliable snow, we are a little nervous about Soll, but we love tree lined skiing and Soll suited our budget far more. So I guess you can't have everything. As long as there is enough to link the lifts and it stays on the tops, not being able to ski right down to the village won't be too bad!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ChrisWo,

Quote:
You have to admit, though, that Ellmau is relatively low even for an Austrian ski resort (1555m, vs. say Saalbach at 2000m+).

Ellmau is linked by a brilliant system of comfortable chairlifts to the Söll system amongst others where the lifts top out at 1957m (Höhe Salve) - which, if you add the 300m rule of thumb difference for the difference between western and eastern Alps, gives you a nice height to play with!

And remember - size isn't everything - it's what you can do with it that counts! Shocked wink rolling eyes rolling eyes

Currently only the lifts in Scheffau are open, which is slightly "lower" than the top station in Söll. This is probably due to the fact that not many people are skiing yet as opposed to not enough snow. I live two valleys to the north of the Wilder Kaiser and it's snowing here fit to bust. I've got to go out and do the "winter gymnastics" soon and dig out the car, otherwise tomorrow morning I'll have to get up an hour earlier to dig out 48 hours worth!

I love my snow and winter! Toofy Grin

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't be concerned yet. I went through Soll and Scheffau on my transfer to Kitzbuhel last January, the temperature was between +1 - +5 at resort level and the snow seemed fine, albeit a bit patchy in places, in the valley.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Thanks for all your info (I have been reading your posts on other sections too) Very Happy

We are heading to Going on 19th December and I have been obsessively looking at the Skiwelt webcams waiting to see the white stuff! We were so excited to see people skiing last weekend and now I can't wait to get there. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Ellmau is linked by a brilliant system of comfortable chairlifts to the Söll system amongst others

Absolutely, but I was talking about Ellmau not Soll or the SkiWelt in general. When I was in Ellmau one Christmas week, it wasn't possible to get to Soll (you could get to Scheffau, but no further). But that was a poor season, and in any case the following week there was loads of snow and all the links were open (so elvis6093 should be fine Smile ).

Samerberg Sue wrote:

And remember - size isn't everything - it's what you can do with it that counts!

True...what Ellmau lacks in length (err, height), it more than makes up for in girth Toofy Grin

sharon1953, 27th Feb is pretty much the historical high-point for snow in the SkiWelt, so you really don't have much to worry about Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
ChrisWo,

Quote:
You have to admit, though, that Ellmau is relatively low even for an Austrian ski resort (1555m, vs. say Saalbach at 2000m+).

Ellmau is linked by a brilliant system of comfortable chairlifts to the Söll system amongst others where the lifts top out at 1957m (Höhe Salve) - which, if you add the 300m rule of thumb difference for the difference between western and eastern Alps, gives you a nice height to play with!

And remember - size isn't everything - it's what you can do with it that counts! Shocked wink rolling eyes rolling eyes

Currently only the lifts in Scheffau are open, which is slightly "lower" than the top station in Söll. This is probably due to the fact that not many people are skiing yet as opposed to not enough snow. I live two valleys to the north of the Wilder Kaiser and it's snowing here fit to bust. I've got to go out and do the "winter gymnastics" soon and dig out the car, otherwise tomorrow morning I'll have to get up an hour earlier to dig out 48 hours worth!

I love my snow and winter! Toofy Grin

Toofy Grin

Hi Samerberg Sue

We arrive in Scheffau on 17th early morning, our first visit to the ski welt and really looking forward to it. a bit of a query if you do not mind. We will be picking up our hire car in Munich and I have ordered chains but they are trying to hit me for 10 euro per day to hire them and we are there for 10 days. We normally come to Austria in Feb so usually really need th echains. Would I be safe not getting them for this trip? I got a bit worried when you mentioned you were digging your car out!

thanks in advance

Carol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carolwags, oooooooooooooooo the billion dollar question! wink wink wink

In theory the answer is both YES and NO - sorry! Embarassed

The law in Austria states that your car has to have winter equipment between November and April. This is winter tyres AND chains. I have had my chains in my car for 5 years and have never yet opened the box - it still has the cable binder on it, so it has never ever been opened rolling eyes

I have been checked by the police and asked to prove that I have chains - on roads which that the police decide, because of conditions, chains are essential, you are not allowed to go any further if you do not have them in the car! It's called "Kettenpflicht" - last week there were quite a lot of announcements on the radio about which roads were this category.

If there is a winter storm then it can be that you can only drive with chains on - in 30 years this has only happened to me once - I had to drive with chains on from St Johann im Pongau to Munich in single file the whole way, with the chains fitted at a stately and scary 30mph! (January 1996 I think).

The reality is that you should be able to take the gamble of not using them, splash out on the vignette (€7.90 for 10 days) and use the fast easy road from Wörgl to Söll and then on to Scheffau. This road is used by the coaches and heavier lorries to supply the Ski Welt area and is kept very clear. It does not have any of the steep turns of the road from Kufstein, and should it be snowy it is a bit safer to use.

You could buy a set of chains for less than €100 - so the car company is ripping you off. All the cars have winter tyres, so you should be OK

Cancel the chains is my advice to be honest!

Sue Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We head out to Ellmau on 26th Dec. All looks good from the webcams.

According to the Skiwelt website Ellmau/Going part opened today, with the furnicular and chair lifts open - I assume full opening is Saturday. On Monday it was showing as only a handful of lifts open and 13km of piste (for the whole Skiwelt), today is showing as 56km - I'm guessing this will be a lot higher come the weekend.

Avago - If possible please can you post some condition reports while you are away next week if you get internet access? Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
carolwags, oooooooooooooooo the billion dollar question! wink wink wink

In theory the answer is both YES and NO - sorry! Embarassed

The law in Austria states that your car has to have winter equipment between November and April. This is winter tyres AND chains. I have had my chains in my car for 5 years and have never yet opened the box - it still has the cable binder on it, so it has never ever been opened rolling eyes

I have been checked by the police and asked to prove that I have chains - on roads which that the police decide, because of conditions, chains are essential, you are not allowed to go any further if you do not have them in the car! It's called "Kettenpflicht" - last week there were quite a lot of announcements on the radio about which roads were this category.

If there is a winter storm then it can be that you can only drive with chains on - in 30 years this has only happened to me once - I had to drive with chains on from St Johann im Pongau to Munich in single file the whole way, with the chains fitted at a stately and scary 30mph! (January 1996 I think).

The reality is that you should be able to take the gamble of not using them, splash out on the vignette (€7.90 for 10 days) and use the fast easy road from Wörgl to Söll and then on to Scheffau. This road is used by the coaches and heavier lorries to supply the Ski Welt area and is kept very clear. It does not have any of the steep turns of the road from Kufstein, and should it be snowy it is a bit safer to use.

You could buy a set of chains for less than €100 - so the car company is ripping you off. All the cars have winter tyres, so you should be OK

Cancel the chains is my advice to be honest!

Sue Toofy Grin

Hi Sue

thanks for the prompt reply Very Happy

Looking at the weather forecast I may play it safe and take the chains. We had them last year and had a huge dump of snow overnight. OH went to fit the chains the next morning and found they had given us the wrong size - luckily we had a great chalet manager who drove him into town (Niederau) to buy a set! I have just realised too that we will be meeting up with friends in Mayrhofen for a days skiing so probably had better get them just in case - but 100 euros Shocked So much for the cheap car hire. I had booked this family holiday for us at the last moment to get OH away from work and the kids have never seen a white xmas. Turning out to cost more than our regular trip in Feb.

thanks again

Carol
snow report
hammerite, I will try and do that for you! Smile Enjoy your trip snowHead
snow report
Thanks you too Avago, !
latest report
Quote:

Avago - If possible please can you post some condition reports while you are away next week if you get internet access?

hammerite, I'm in Scheffau from the 19th - if I can get online I will post some reports/pics up for you too.
latest report
carolwags, if that is the case, cancel the booking with the car hire and buy some at an Obi outlet (like B&Q, Great Mills, etc.) You will get the right size from the Fahrzeugschein (a copy of which must be in the hire car by law!) which will be in the car, or just look at the tyre sizes.

Mine cost me about 30 Euros at Obi. They are always signposted (big orange signs) or you could call into the huge Hornbacher DIY outlet which has its own exit from the A9 just as you go into Munich (do not drive off on to the A99 - head for the city centre instead). You can easily pick up the A 8 by following the signs on the Mitteler Ring Ost (Richtung Salzburg).

Sue wink
ski holidays
Hi, I am going to be taking three brand new skiers to Hopfgarten, we fly out tomorrow, this will be the 17th. I am hoping to jump straight on the slopes, from reading above it sounds like I should go straight to Ellmau?? would this be correct?

Any reccommendations on cheap ski instruction for the three beginners? Also I would like instruction..I've had two weeks on the snow. Any tips?
Might end up driving over to Mayorhofen for the day if not much is open in the ski welt.

Emma Little Angel
latest report
Oh and what is the gondola called in ellmau and scheffau
ski holidays
supernatural, Ellmau has the Hartkaiserbahn and it is a funicular railway. In Scheffau it is the Brandstadlbahn. Both were open earlier this week. Scheffau is the nearest for you if you are based in Hofgarten.

The chances are that the Brandstadl and Hartkaiser are open, I'm not so sure about the Salvenbahn directly out of Hofgarten. That may be open but is for sure at the weekend if the snow is OK. The pre-season time ends on Friday and all hell will be let loose on the autobahns at the weekend as half of Scandinavia and the Netherlands decamps down to the Alps!

Go to the information office and ask about ski schools - they are all good and all the instructors have to speak good English as most of the non-German speakers have English as a second language.

Have fun! I'm at Munich Airport bright and early tomorrow to pick up my sister from the "Red-Eye" from Hamburg - got to leave here at 06:00 to make it in time for a 7:30 pick up - euk! Mad

Sue wink
snow report
milky, We are there too! Where are you staying? Very Happy
snow conditions
supernatural, http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter/start-of-the-winter-saison-2009-2010-in-the-skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental.html have a look at this link it details lift/ run opening dates. Looks to me as if most will be open by 18th & 19th. Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
carolwags, if that is the case, cancel the booking with the car hire and buy some at an Obi outlet

Mine cost me about 30 Euros at Obi. They are always signposted (big orange signs)

If you're looking for an Obi, there is one just off the A8 autobahn by Rosenheim (though that means going a little past the Inntal exit that you would be taking for Söll, etc.; Rosenheim is the next exit after the Inntal junction). Take the Rosenheim exit and turn right towards Rosenheim. You will see the Obi on the left as you drive along but you have to go past it on the dual carriageway and then turn back at the next lights (I usually drive about 100 yds up the side road on the left, turn round at the entry to a furniture store and come back again).

supernatural, I would expect the Salvenbahn to be running out of Hopfgarten, for even if one can't ski down to the village there, the lift (second section) now runs to the top of the Höhe Salve, so it would be the obvious way for Hopfgarten skiers to get into the SkiWelt.
snow report
espri, turn off at the parking place immediately after the railway bridge and you get the road directly to Obi - - it's just before the entrance to the big Mercedes car place (Inntal Porsche-Zentrum)! The road goes back on itself and over the main road and round to Obi! Signposted to Frauendorf-Nord

Will be in touch about the Haggii! (says she licking her lips greedily! Razz
ski holidays
Avago wrote:
milky, We are there too! Where are you staying? Very Happy

Hey Avago, we're staying at the Waldrand. How about you? Hotel Alpin, hmm? Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milky, It would be great if you could post up a report while your away. I hope you and Avago, each have a great time.

supernatural, if you do go to Ellmau, there are three ski schools, Hartkaiser, Top and Skischulle Ellmau. I have lessons booked with Hartkaiser, not sure who Jnr is booked in with as we did it through the TO.
ski holidays
milky, A work colleague (who isn't on Snowheads) is staying at the Waldrand, for the week starting 2nd January.
ski holidays
milky, We're at the Gasthof Dorfwirt in Going, but we are putting Little Avago in the Kinder Kaiserland Ski School in Scheffau. Very Happy

If you see a crazy lady in a fluorescent yellow jacket and white salopettes, that'll be my Mum............. I'll be the other crazy female infront of her Toofy Grin

Have a great time milky, & hammerite, ...............oh and Happy Christmas Very Happy
ski holidays
Avago wrote:
If you see a crazy lady in a fluorescent yellow jacket and white salopettes

Sounds like she's quite easy to spot Laughing Have a great time.

alex_heney - FWIW I think it's a great hotel (stayed there this time last year), they should be well looked after wink
snow report
hammerite, as promised...

Snow conditions in Scheffau and on the rest of the Skiwelt are pretty good at the moment. Not been any snow here while we've been in resort, but the temperatures have been generally well below freezing so most areas have retained good coverage. We headed over to Westendorf today and the pistes were brilliant, noticed on the way back that some areas in the scheffau bowl are showing the mud a little bit though Shocked . Also, it warmed up alot today so there's been a bit of a meltdown in the valley.

That said, most pistes are open and in good condition - Should be no problems for you on the 26th, more snow expected this week and freezing levels set to fall again, no need to worry!
ski holidays
milky, only those who have the stoicism to tolerate a bit of mud should be allowed to go to the Tirol - do the 1000's of enormous Bavarians complain about the odd blade of juicy alpine cow food poking through the piste - I think not!ll!
snow report
Excellent, thanks for the report milky, hope you are having a great time!!
snow conditions
red 27, Laughing And cheers hammerite, we certainly are!

Had some grrreat snow this morning which really freshened things up for the rest of the week. Loads of fluffy powder at the top although it was a bit rainy under the middle station. This kept lots of people indoors so pistes were practically deserted! Took some pics, apologies for size/quality/content in advance but you get the idea of general conditions...

More forecast for Friday apparently Smile
snow report
Glad you're having a good time milky, and thanks once again for the update. Conditions look great with some fresh snow tomorrow forecast so should hopefully be perfect on Sunday when we get to ski Very Happy . Are the runs down to the villages open given the warmer temps over the last couple of days and rain? Or is all the action up top?
ski holidays
hammerite, valley runs are open and have been all week... looking a little bit threadbare in places but perfectly skiable at the moment.
Freezing level falling again at the weekend so more snow cannoning should see them remain so even if no snow falls between now and then Smile!
ski holidays
milky, great pics - I love it like that when you have the slopes all to yourself snowHead
latest report
Been a good week so far, but similar as milky had last week, now it's got warmer today some of the slopes could be in better condition - they deteriorated quite dramatically in a couple of hours. Lovely white groomed pistes this morning turned into browny stained pistes with thin sugary mounds in between. Very spring like according to the more experienced OH.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy