Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Professional boot fit in UK is the way ahead

Poster: A snowHead
I have just had the expereince of a lifetime and I want to share it with you. For those of you who have put up with ill-fitting ski boots and beleive that is the norm. Think again.
I have pronounced (sticky-out) ankle bones and have crammed them into boots for years and put up with the pain. Boot fitters in resort never fixed this situation and I was recommended on Snowheads to vist a proper clinic like ProFeet in the UK. They have a shop on Fulham high street and the difference between what they offer and that of the resort shops is a world apart.
After 2 1/2 hours of being measured, videod, analysed and having footbeds and boots moulded to fit. I now have boots more comfortable than my slippers. The total cost was less than some of the fancy resort prices and I look forward to a ski season sans pain. This is not an advertisement - just bl**dy good feedback for all snowheads with strange feet. Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
keshvane, I bet you 10p they'll feel different on that oh-so-telling first run!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, thee of little faith.

My new ones were spot on, that CEM knows his stuff. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to www.solutions4feet.co.uk in Bicester for my new boots and they are still comfy after 6 weeks of skiing Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

My new ones were spot on, that CEM knows his stuff
Ditto.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd suggest a better way to put it would be that professional boot fitting is the way. The fact it's in the UK is incidental. In fact i'd go so far as to say you're probably more likely to find such a service in resort than in the UK but that's another story.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh my goodness, it's a while since we've had an argument about UK fitting v resort fitting. wink Where's SMALL ZOOKEEPER, anyway?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr D just scored for a pair of cheap Nordica Sportmachine booties via a bloke who bought them in an end of season sale last year, found they didn't fit properly and traded them in for more new ones in a resort shop. Always worth having feets which fit right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
frank4short, But in the UK it is so easy. You ask on snowHead who to go to (or just wait for a thread such as this) and you take a day trip to either Bicester, Leamington or a few other places and it's sorted.

In a resort it's a bit different: You ask on snowHead who to go to in resort X, and if X is one of a small number of resorts, you'll get a decent recommendation and you'll be happy. But there are many many resorts where the number of snowHeads visiting is quite small and the majority of those won't have had boots fitted there, so you go by second-hand rumours and out-of-date information. This of course is complicated by the fact that many skiers don't have a car in resort, so can't pop down the valley 20 miles to the one place that does (or did at sometime in the recent past) have a decent fitter. Of course you could ask in resort, but who are you going to trust? The local instructors will probably just consider you a punter and direct you to their friend's shop, and the tour operator's staff (if you used one) wouldn't know even ifthey understood the question.

If you want to get fitted with a pair of boots in resort, then the only way I can see this working reliably is if you choose your resort based on where there are known trusted fitters. Only one who gets mentioned regularly here has already been mentioned iearlier in this thread.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, There are ways around asking about on here & waiting for someone to give a recommendation.

You could do what i did last time i bought boots. Email Footworks in Cham telling them i'd bought my previous pair of boots off of them. Saying i'm in the market for new boots but can't make it to your shop can you recommend someone in La Grave/ Serre Chevalier proceed with that recommendation to get perfectly fitted boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

off of them

Please don't do that. Where is the *wince* smiley?

RobW, makes perfectly good points regarding accessibility of shops and reliability of information. You could indeed ask for a recommendation from the last shop you bought from, but what if you bought boots in Austria and you plan now to ski in Spain? What if these are your first boots? If you know someone in resort who can make you a good up to date recommendation then fair enough, but if not then buying in the UK from a fitter with a good reputation isn't a bad option by any means.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
keshvane wrote:

I have pronounced (sticky-out) ankle bones

For some reason a Lilly the Pink verse just came into my head

Old Billy Wankles
Had sticky out ankles
His thighs would really bu uh hurn.
So they gave him
Custom Footbeds
Now he schusses and never turns

Oh weeeellllll drink a drink a drink to lilly the pink the pink the pink...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
keshvane wrote:
........I now have boots more comfortable than my slippers........

They'll be too big then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At this point I feel obliged to say that I bought my boots in a sale seven seasons ago, have never had anything done to them, am still skiing in them, and they are still (as they have ever been) as comfortable as slippers. So there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, but presumably you have webbed feet?
snow report
spyderjon,

Yeah I was gonna say - my boots feel great when I ski in them, but not so great when out of skis - i certainly wouldn't say they fitted like slippers!! More like a glove. Mine were fitted at Footworks in Chamonix.
snow report
Just an update for you all. Just returned from a week in Flaine and the boots were fantastic. I recommend Profeet and their UK based-fitting service. looking at the in-resort prices I would reckon they compare very favourably to anything in resort. Confused Razz
snow conditions
Hurtle, I'm here in Chamonix Skiing and working in our new shop. Toofy Grin
latest report
Think the point worth remembering in this post is that finding a bootfitter is critical, resort or otherwise, many pros to having boots done in resort, but in the end you guys decide where and when you spend your money and time. I clearly see the benefits of doing the job in resort having done it both in the UK and abroad, I think in that respect I'm alone.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I would certainly opt for resort, just because I've never had boots fitted where i've not needed to go back a second time for adjustments. If i had to wait until i got back to the UK, it would ruin my holiday, and i wouldn't want to go and pay some random boot fitter you will then go too far with the adjustments.
snow report
beanie1, profeet have a deal with Freeride in Meribel and if you need any work done in resort the local guys do it FOC. seems a nice solution to me. get em done at home, break em in and if any probs they get swiftly sorted in resort. Myself i wouldnt want to be in brand new boots for a week away nor sit in a bootfitters chair when im on hols...
snow report
skimottaret, that sounds like a good set up.
latest report
skimottaret, beanie1, I must admit that does seem an excellent idea - perhaps one that some more of the UK might consider as an idea - it certainly sounds the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
Wherever you have it done you need to be prepared to spend loads of time and as much money as it takes. And be in a position to go back to the same fitter for further tweaking as necessary - and have not only a professional fitter you trust but one with whom you share a common language to a high level of subtlety. For some people that will mean in the UK, for others in a resort. My current boots (from CEM in Bicester) are a full size smaller than any I've had before, which tells its own story, really.
snow report
For sure, I'm sure we would offer that with Colin, have done with Lockwoods in the past.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Hurtle, I'm here in Chamonix Skiing and working in our new shop. Toofy Grin

Whats the new shop called and where is it ? I have some time to waste in Cham in feb Very Happy
latest report
for a touring gearhead like me, there is no choice but to buy abroad because all the UK shops are about 2 seasons behind. pros and cons to both but buying and initial fitting from SMALLZOOKEEPER and getting the odd tweak out of season from CEM has served me pretty well
snow report
I would have thought professional fitting in the UK is the best option for most people. But it's a risky business if you can't try the boots before heading off to the mountains. Last time I had a pair fitted in the UK I broke them in at the Snowdome and all was fine. But I had my current pair fitted in resort, but with the proviso a) I know the shop and fitter well b) I ski in the same resort regularly c) I was there long enough to afford a day off skiing to get them fitted properly. If I was heading to resort X for a week of skiing I certainly wouldn't consider going through the boot fitting process while out there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As no two feet are the same, therefore combinations of feet shapes and shells are near on infinite there is no way i could be as precise as I can be in the UK. Falling on the side of too precise is only possible with you here in resort, back in the UK you have to edge on the side of caution as to not ruin somebody's holiday. Having fitted boots both in resort and in the Uk and seen the difference in my work and the happiness of my clients I am certain the job is best seen in resort, not every resort, not by every bootfitter fo sho'.
ski holidays
I agreed with skimottaret about that method. I went to Surefoot in Verbier, got the full heat/foam treatment thingy, tok them out on the hill and went back about 3 times for tweaks, now they fit like very well fitting ski boots (not slippers, you need some feedback). There are Lange Fluids, 4 years now and never a problem apart from a bit if shin bang on the first day of a new season, but that's no bad thing because it reminds me to keep my technique as true as possible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy