Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting the "Old Dear" on skis

Poster: A snowHead
Similar to another thread I have just read, my mother seems quite keen to learn to ski. She's obviosuly realised that she's missing out on something.
Even after chatting to Admin at the Birmingham ski show she wasn't put off.

For christmas, I'd like to get her some ski lessons. I think to begin with, one of the snow centres would be ok.
We are close (ish) to the snowdome in Tamworth but I'd be quite happy to drive her down to Hemel on a snowhead night. (Then I can do abit of skiing.)

Can anyone recomend an instructor who would be able to help? I rather ask a snowhead rather than a random person.

Cheers

Pete
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wingman, your "old dear" is, presumably, at least 78 to qualify for that title. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think, 'an older person' would probably not see the 'point' in skiing in the UK, TBH, even I was a bit like that, and to make things worse, was told in the UK that I would never ski, due to my knees- fortunately, I get by OK, but, funnily enough, still can't snowplough forwards.
I'd be hard pushed to recommend whether someone learns to ski [aka plough] before they go on hols, or not. In the case of my Mother, that's an absolute no. When you're in a resort, you're taken in by the spirit, atmosphere, et all.

What's the plan..?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think she'd enjoy some lessons with rob@rar. I'm old (albeit not a beginner and definitely not an old dear by pam w's definition rolling eyes ) and I'm enjoying lessons with him, even though I too thought it would be horrible skiing in a snowdome. Rob doesn't seem to mind teaching an old biddy either, or he's very good at pretending. wink wingman, see here: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ and/or P/M him.

[Edited to get Rob's screen name right!]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-12-09 0:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think, 'an older person' would probably not see the 'point' in skiing in the UK

They might. Some people of all ages can't see the point, some people of all ages can. It depends on how technical their outlook is - if they are quite keen to master the technical aspects then some lessons in a fridge would really appeal to them, so that they could make greater headway on their short holiday. If they just want to swan about in the gear and have vin chaud etc, then no. I think a couple of private lessons would make a great Christmas present - but then I am that kind of learner. My daughter bought me a private windsurfing lesson for my 60th birthday and I enjoyed it very much. I had done a bit many moons ago, but the gear has changed a lot - easier to learn now. Just like skiing, in fact. I looked up the RYA windsurfing stuff before I did my lesson, so I had an idea what the guy was going to be teaching me. Similarly I first learnt to sail a dinghy commuting to work in London. When I went on a week's course in Salcombe I knew the basics, having mentally been tacking and gybing from East Croydon to Victoria for a week or so. wink

I agree with Hurtle that rob would be excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, pam w, Point taken, 'they might [see the point]'. Not sure though (don't mean to hijack this thread, but thread OP was referring to was probably about my Mother). I don't think a 70+ will necessarily want to 'master the technical aspects', more likely just want to 'get down', peoples aspirations are different. Difficult.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
allanm, fair enough, but a modicum of 'technical' stuff does assist greatly in 'getting down'! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, I know........ but if I took my Mother to Hemel, I think it may well put her off. Back on my story for a sec. as it may be pertinent, after the lessons I had in the UK, I would have not gone skiing had the holiday not all been paid for.... but I've turned out to be an 'OK' skier, 'suppose you can read that either way. Really don't know, I/We could take her to Hemel, but if she then decided sking wasn't for her, she'd be up tight about the week in LA. If she just goes and sking isn't for her, she'll enjoy herself anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

a modicum of 'technical' stuff does assist greatly in 'getting down'!

absolutely. It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with learning styles and personality. I have friends who have skied for decades, and who are no better now than they were 30 years ago. they just want to "get down" . I have other friends (like the other OAPs with whom I spent a super week on the glacier in LDA in June) who are very interested in the "technical stuff". They've been the same since we were in our 20s - some keen on learning, others not a bit. I have just started editing videos and joined a local club where I am one of the younger members - some of them are well over 80 and most definitely interested in the technical stuff. Geekery, indeed, is the word that springs to mind. wink

Older people are remarkably like younger people, you know. They vary. The OP presumably has some idea what sort of person his mother is, and thinks she would enjoy some private lessons. He may very well be right.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
allanm, pam w, yes, one thing's certain, the would-be skier has got to decide for herself how she'd rather approach things.

I do also think that the UK venue has got to be attractive for this to be a runner. Years ago, almost as a beginner, I had one session on a dry slope and I hated it so much that it nearly put me off skiing altogether. The venue was just horrible, the uplift was difficult and I fell painfully, more than once. I went to Hemel with only a partially open mind, and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the snow and of the whole experience, including just mooching about in the bar or pottering around Snow & Rock. Add to that an exceptionally competent teacher, who isn't going to push, nag, or discourage the learner in any way, and I think you have the makings of an OK hour or two. In short, there's nothing that is likely to put her off.

What exactly did put you off in your UK lessons, allanm? Your answer to that might help the OP to decide whether his mother would react in a similar fashion.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Agreed! Very Happy

My Mum and Dad bought an iMac recently... Now my Mum cannot use a computer at ALL(despite working with mainframes for years - but she hated them because the software was so ridiculously difficult and non user friendly). Now she knows that some people she is friends with(younger mostly) can talk to her via email and send photos etc. So she WANTS to learn how to use her new computer. Dad has always been a learner also. They both enrolled in the year of lessons Apple give you($100 with a new computer) and she is happily going to lessons and learning about email and internet for the fisrt time in her life (76) Dad at 78 could already use email but is learning spreadsheeting(wine collection, and share portfolio I gather).
They have a surgeon friend who watched me building website with video etc and wants me to teach him so he can post his teaching videos for thoracic surgery. Other friends look and say "too hard". The learning ones have been that way all their lives. Surgeon is also planning to recreate an early doctor's house- like 1st century - part of which will mean he will need to create replica bronze instruments.

I have noticed it is very evident in these folks when they retire. Some do the same things they always did. Others are madly doing even MORE things as they have more time to learn more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, Basically I can't snowplough, my knees simply won't do it. I was told in no uncertain terms to find another sport after spending a small fortune on private lessons. It was miserable, especially with a booked holiday looming.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
allanm, ah. Perhaps some prior communication between the would-be learner and the chosen instructor would be a good idea. If I had physical problems (you presumably knew from the start that your knees were a bit dicky) I'd want to discuss them with the instructor first, to see if he saw them as an insurmountable problem. Learning to ski is bound to be more difficult if one is completely inflexible, but - personally - I'd rather find out about the difficulties here, and not in resort, thereby saving myself the time and expense of having to buy lots of kit. I might well decide to go and have a jolly time with my son(s) in the resort anyway, but not bother with the skiing and associated expense.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Nooooo I didn't know I had a problem, the problem only manifested itself, at least initially, learning to ski. It wasn't insurmountable, in fact, in France they do not necessarily teach snowplough as a first stage as they do in the UK. Reason I'm 'ranting' on this is I suspect it may be more difficult for older people to snowplough - it does do your knees in, IMHO. if you know you have a problem, you can perhaps, as I did eventually, forget snowplough and go straight to parallel.

Perhaps the bottom line is I had cr@p instructors (in the UK) who didn't realise I was really struggling to do the most basic skiing 'exercise'. Even after XX weeks I still can't plough forwards to even check my speed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OMG!!!! "Even after XX weeks I still can't plough forwards to even check my speed.[/quote]" Shocked Shocked
snow report
allanm, yes indeed, I think quite a few 'mature' people find it difficult to snowplough. My guess is that Rob would find other ways around a problem like that, it does indeed sound as though your instructors weren't the greatest. It's wonderful that you were able to surmount the problem yourself and continue skiing. Very Happy
snow report
allanm, This thread might be of interest as the support for people with problems does seem to be catered for with this approach.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1393489&highlight=chill#1393489
snow report
allanm wrote:
scootsman1 wrote:
OMG!!!! "Even after XX weeks I still can't plough forwards to even check my speed.
" Shocked Shocked

It's not all that bad - it hasn't stopped me doing much else.

geepee, Yes, interesting link, my problem has subsequently manifested in running too, but only started after the aborted ski lessons. Funnily enough as long as I don't attempt to snow plough I'm fine. Gave up the BASI preliminary instructor course last year because of this. I'm never going to be an instructor. Oh well.
snow report
allanm, snowboarding is enormously easier on the knees (if not on any other bits...)
snow report
My dad had a computer, he didn't do a lot with it but enjoyed surfing the net and sending the odd email. My mother said it was "his toy" and never touched it. When he died she took it up, did all her banking on the internet and most of her shopping (she was disabled and couldn't get out on her own, so it was perfect). She was already exceptionally competent on a keyboard as she had earned her living as a typist and teleprinter operator for many years. The day she got one of her grandsons to show her what buttons to press to write an email, he got her on the right screen, then she started typing away at XXXX wpm. "Wow Nana!" he said "you learnt that really fast!". She was 80. It's old and/or disabled people who REALLY need computers. Several of my friends who never bothered before have taken up email and skype/webcams to keep in touch with grandchildren.

Skiing is obviously completely different kettle of fish, because physical, but I think quite a lot of older starters will want to learn really gently, and properly. The great thing about a snowdome is a controlled environment - not cold, windy or foggy.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
allanm, snowboarding is enormously easier on the knees (if not on any other bits...)
Yes, but you fall over more as a beginner (legs locked together).
latest report
wingman, I think you ought to meet a couple of my friends before using the term "Old dear". CaistorSkier celebrated her 70th birthday last May and a friend of hers and mine began skiing in his mid-60s and still goes on solo holidays at 85 Madeye-Smiley .

I think rob@rar would be a great choice at Hemel and to follow it up there is the "Cautious to Confident" trip to LDA towards the end of March which would be ideal - see my sig for the link. That attracts a wide age range of those who want to take things gently for a variety of reasons. Margaret is early 60s and came for the first time last year - she can't wait to do it again.
snow report
Wow , this must be the most patronising thread title ever. Or is it a wind-up?
latest report
snowball wrote:
Wow , this must be the most patronising thread title ever. Or is it a wind-up?

OOPS! old fart alert Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

The great thing about a snowdome is a controlled environment - not cold,

?!? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled ?!?

A controlled environment it may be - but in my opinion a VERY COLD controlled environment wink
snow report
Hi everyone - thanks so much for all the helpfull comments.
The term "old dear" is mean't in a nice way. Mum is even getting used to it now.

I shall try and get in contact with rob@rar and see what he can suggest.
Failing that - is there any snowhead instructors based at the SnowDome - Tamworth?
snow conditions
All the instructors I've seen in action at Tamworth, (lessons with 2 for me and 5 different for the kids plus loads seen with other classes) have seemed really good with people of all ages.
I did the learn to ski in a day there and the group I was in ranged from 20something to late 60something (or maybe early 70something) at a guess and everyone got the tuition they needed to have a great fun day learning to ski.
snow report
Quote:

A controlled environment it may be - but in my opinion a VERY COLD controlled environment

Hardly! It's quite common to have minus 10 plus windchill even in quite low level Alpine resorts - Canadian ones, I understand, get a whole lot colder and the high parts of the Espace Killy are frequently -35 with windchill.

Hemel might be - 5 on a bad day, with no wind - except that provided by the clients. And it doesn't snow down your neck.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowdome runs at around 0, windproof fleece over a tshirt, unlined ski trousers and I'm plenty warm enough skiing there, often with the fleece unzipped. And am still trying to find some gloves thin enough not to give me hot sweaty hands in about 20 min!
snow report
Speaking as the mum of some snowboarders, I learned to ski at 50 and love it. Give her lots of encouragement to go for it. Book a holiday and a few individual lessons with plenty of practice time in between. She'll be hooked in no time.
snow conditions
I think I will book her one private lesson to get her started and some confidence and then group lessons after that.
Hopefully that will do the trick.
ski holidays
Don't forget though private lessons are harder work as she will be skiing a lot more than in the same length group lesson. To put in context my youngest daughter is doing the kinder lessons at the snow dome, they say typically it takes 4 or 5 sessions for the littleies to go through each level and talking to other parents they estimate 3 or 4 lessons per level. Chloe's first level 1 lesson turned into a private lesson as the other kids booked in didn't show, she finished level one and got well into level 2 by the end of it and talking to the instructors it was purely down to the fact that she got lots more time to practice than if shed been in a class with 4 or 5 other kids.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy