Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you still learn to ski or board if there were no lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Further to the other thread. Anyway it got me thinking i've no problem going touring for my turns. Last winter i spent the best part of a week in Wicklow ski touring when we had the snow. However i can't see any set of circumstances in which i'd have learned to ski without lifts.

So could you see yourself borrowing your eccentric grand uncle's planks who spent time in canada/norway/the alps (delete as appropriate) if there was never the possibility of a lift system & pistes to learn on?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first skiing experience was on a patch of snow that was about 30ft by 10ft next to the Glenshee Carpark.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learned to ski without lifts. I grew up on XC skis in Norway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I learnt to ski 'cos my 'rents did. If there weren't lifts I imagine the industry would be a helluva lot smaller, and I wouldn't really have thought about it, or even known about it! I like to think I still would have, but in all reality I would probably have stuck to other sports that the UK is more conducive to, whitewater kayaking, MTB etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good question, I'd be more likely to ski if there was no uplift ever available (I learnt to ski before boarding anyway) and I imagine I may have got into it eventually although probably at a later age. There's a fair few cases of climbers (e.g. Al Rouse, Rab Carrington) who learnt to ski as it made some of their objectives easier so I imagine with the less easy access that would be how I might get into it and hence why I'd be more likely to ski: easier travel uphill etc.

That said I certainly wouldn't have got into it for skiings sake and while it seems a reasonable assumption it's also quite likely I wouldn't have been arsed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have, still. I started x-c at the same time I started alpine skiing. Enjoyed both. Still do.

Though my first attempt was alpine, I didn't "take" to it on the first outing. But I was in school at a place where winter last 6 months and 5 1/2 of that was snow covered! So I was really motivated to do SOMETHING during the winter. Cross-country skiing was the next option. And I quite enjoyed it!

After a few x-c skiing outings, I got a bit more comfortable with sliding about and thought maybe I'd give downhill skiing another try before conceiting defeat. The second time was considerably better. Though I didn't fall in love with skiing per se. 5 years of long winter was enough to got me into the habit of skiing whenever I see the flying flakes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Knowing what I know now - yes.

But, I'd never have got started if there were no lifts. I was bullied into going on my first ever trip as it was (didn't want to be forced into rubbing shoulders with a load of snobby gets for a week) so I just wouldn't have bothered.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yeah i would never have bothered but if all the lifts vanished over night i would still be going out
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just go cat skiing instead. snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I learned to ski on a dry slope at Pontins. No lifts (or kids skis) spent the entire week lugging skis twice as tall as me up the slope for a 10 second ski down. I loved at the time, but I'm not sure I'd do it these days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

My first skiing experience was on a patch of snow that was about 30ft by 10ft next to the Glenshee Carpark.

Ditto - circa 1960. Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy