Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes: And just how cold is it? And what about MBR?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry. This may seem to be a really stupid question -but- just how much colder will it be to ski in Tignes on 20-27 Dec? We have only ever skied in March/April in France and Switzerland. How much colder will it be -conditions differ etc. Is there anything else I should be thinking of? We have the usual base, mid layers plus jacket. Gloves etc. I am getting facemasks for kids and myself. Hubby is hard! Are there any 'tricks' to being there at this time of year?

Also , my husband is a keen MBR. Saw on the Tignes website about MBR on snow down slopes...has anybody treid it/know anyhting about it/have a recommendation of a good operation out there to try it with?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tinabf, It really does depend onth weather at the time you go. I have skied early January at La Plagne in a t-shirt and open soft shell but a year later was doing 30 minutes between hot choccy stops at -24c in Austria.

The forecast seems to indicate falling temperatures. A mate skied in Val D'Isere a couple of years ago at Christmas and it was frighteningly/dangerously cold.

Adults tend to manage cold better than kids so be careful wih the little uns. Historical records indicate it will be MUCH colder in late December than at Easter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a thin (silk?) balaclava thing to wear under my helmet - works really well. I've also got a neoprene face mask which is useless - sweaty and cold.

Anyway, there are a couple of tricks for Tignes / Val d'Isere.

Avoid Tichot and Grattalu chairs in Tignes if it's windy - these are notoriously cold.

Get the Funiculaire in Tignes or the Funival in Val as much as poss - underground trains, and therefore a good chance to warm up. Similarly, some of the chairs have hoods which are pretty good for staying warm.

The runs down to La Daille on the Val side are (relatively) wind sheltered - maybe the same down to Les Brevieres in Tignes(?).

Temps aren't really possible to forecast this far out - could be anywhere from +5 to -15 by day and 0 to -25 at night. If it's sunny and non-windy, the cold isn't very noticeable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I off to Val D'Isere this weekend, the forecast is -22°C at the summit -32°C with wind chill, thats serious cold. Ive experience colder in Canada & you have to avoid frostbite, your extremities are at risk but it was very dry & with good kit you needn't be cold. I am double checking I've packed my silk barraclavas, neck warmer, face mask, insulated gloves & marino wool socks. Its normally enough for me. I have considered electrically heated gloves/ boot warmers but carry too many gadgets already. I have experienced cold toes when my boot inners weren't 100% dry. On the other hand mountain weather is fickle and it can be relatively warm, even in December.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

-32°C with wind chill

Shocked Shocked Shocked

[revises packing]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tinabf, we'll be there the same time as you, and hoping it won't be bitterly cold. It was a few Christmases ago when we were out there, and we just had to have lots of stops to warm up. Although that was when the euro was a bit more affordable - hot drink stops might have to a bit more spaced out this year! JT_London's advice is good if it's well below freezing - stay low and in the treeline if possible. I'm going to buy a few of those little disposable handwarmer things too.

Not long to wait now! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Avoid Tichot and Grattalu chairs in Tignes if it's windy - these are notoriously cold.

And I would add to that the Marais chair which is also very old and slow. I spent the coldest 45 minutes of my life on it when it broke down a couple of years ago.

In general though it can get very cold indeed round the turn of the year. -30 is quite normal. But then again as Lechbob says it's fickle too and I've been there when it's barely freezing at village level and a few degrees above in Brevieres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife feels the cold our tips are; as mentioned dry boots- if the chalet/ hotel has a boot dryer use it- if not take your inner boots out and dry them in your room, mitts not gloves (with inner gloves), a toc (fleece round your neck), a spare dry pair of gloves kept inside your jacket- so they are warm- and can be changed with the ones you are wearing, a down vest (a sleeveless down jacket) - packs very small- sized so it can be just put on top of everything else, hot water in your camel back- stops it freezing and acts as a hot water bottle (fantastic), fleece balaclava, spare hat / gloves (per group).

Know when to stop and go inside!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember being there as a young 'un (some years back) in January and recall I became a big fan of some seriously uncool mittens REALLY quickly. Other than that I had a great time as long as I was bribed with sufficient hot choccy as soon I cooled down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all!!Now looking for silk balaclavas! N'other stupid question? As one who has never liked mittens -why them rather than gloves?...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One big air pocket full of toasty fingers with minimum surface area exposed to the cold air.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the last 4 seasons in Tignes.

Silk inner gloves (as used by hikers) - means you can get your outer gloves off & back on without hands getting cold (useful when your nose is running whilst on slow chairs).
Use sun cream - it helps protect skin from cold, too.
Don't spend too long up on the glaciers - even seasonnaires get frostbite!
If you feel cold, stop in a bar for a hot drink.
Wear layers, including on your legs. A hoodie is good for this too, as it can help keep your head warm.
Use goggles not sunglasses. Wear them over all your hoods - helps keep wind out/stop snow getting in.
Remember at this time of year the sun sets early (before the lifts shut).
Slow chairs - Marais, Aiguille Rouge, Grand Huit (not an exclusive list).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

A mate skied in Val D'Isere a couple of years ago at Christmas and it was frighteningly/dangerously cold.

Yes, my son was working out there - he's pretty hard, and never complains, but he said it was fairly horrible. Mitts with silk liners - very good idea. And I find those disposable handwarmers indispensable when it's cold - they're on sale in resort shops. If it's windy, stay low. Try to work out where the sun will be shining, and stay there, not far from a resto.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tinabf, Ditto everyone else.. really cold at Xmas. As far as the MBR goes, there are lot's of routes and hire shops in the summer - including one coming down from the glacier - but I don't recall seeing any in the winter.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My experience at Christmas / New Year in Val D'Isere/Tignes is the same. You will get a great snow base (which, by the sounds of it is already there) and will typically get clear skies (great for bright sun in the daytime but also = exceedingly cold out of direct sunlight) and no freeze thaw effect so the snow stays wonderful all day.

If it gets too windy to run the bubbles on Le Fornet or the top lift on the Grande Motte you probably want to get off the glaciers and down low into the trees - especially with the kids - I got stuck on the drag under the bubble in Le Fornet last year for about 15 minutes which was probably one of the coldest experiences I have ever had skiing. However the skiing once the drag got going again soon warmed me up and it was very soon forgotten.

Take regular breaks for hot chocolate on the mountain and make sure you really warm up at lunchtime and a tip from our guide, if you're not on a chair with a lid you pull your hood up and use your facemasks on the chairs - it really does help.

I seem to run a couple of degrees warmer than many of my friends so usually went out with two base layers, fleece and shell, fleecey hat and scarf and my regular gloves which was mostly pretty good for me temp wise. An I usually go for multiple thin layers rather than thick fleeces/wooly jumpers - they are supposed to be more efficient at trapping heat, you'll look less like michelin man and won't exceed your luggage weight limit.

If you go prepared you will have a great time and I am very jealous!
snow report
Thank you..Thank you...super snow heads! Balaclavas in post; going to buy mittens and disposable handwarmers; children have stolen all my base layers and neck warmers; am prepared to look like Michelin man if necc ; and have managed to resist heated insoles even tho' I get cold feet in the UK...but one day...

Only 11 snoozles to go.. and a pile of Xmas cards to write and parcels to post but...OMG!
ski holidays
And don't forget your hip flask - a lot of purist's will advise against this - but the odd tipple won't do any harm Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy