Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VFM bars\ beer in Les Arcs 1800?

Poster: A snowHead
In most ski resorts drink prices are generally high. Sad At the Viking in Val Thorens prices were helped by 'happy hour' and a chance to 'Toss the Boss' to get free round of drinks. wink Is there an equivalent establishment to Les Arcs 1800?

Following an extended dice winning session, 5 rounds of pints out of 6, (although Megamum only remembers 4!) Laughing i'm certain she wouldn't want to miss out on such an opportunity. With only 6 weeks to go before our trip I expect she will have been practising! Toofy Grin

The Minimums owe me a few beer vouchers for their ski servicing, it may well be a way to extend their pocket money too! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All you could possibly need to know about Les Arcs here....
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1275161&highlight=les#1275161

Obviously last season, which bars are doing what for the coming season is a matter of conjecture until they open for this season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bar-King-Mad near the kebab shop in villards is quite popular with seasonaires, so the prices won't be too steep. Come off the font-de-neige below the vagere, and then there's a main drag with intersport etc, go through one of the archways heading away from the slopes and there's a whole terrasse of restaurants/bars etc that people can miss. It's on the right hand-side, can site outside in deckchairs if sunny. The kebab shop is also a great cheap lunchtime fill up - nothing quite like blasting down the piste with a slight tang of chilli sauce floating about...

If you're staying in 1800 then you should have the slightly odd layout locked down fairly quickly, but if you just ski-in then it's easy to miss bits. Le Charvet & Villards are 2 totally different sections and it's not unknown for people to spend there whole week in one without even discovering the bars/shops in the other.

Boredsurfing, In Peisey-Vallandry the Mont Blanc and the Squirrel are open already...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you get to Arc 1800, go to the Before Bar also in Villards. They do the kind of games you are talking about and it is more of a seasonaires hang out than the Bar King Mad earlier in the evening. Also Bar Chez Bo Bo in Charvet is a pity cool bar. Right near the tourist office by the piste. They are all open now. Prices in Les Arcs are about 2.50 for a small beer. But happy hour is great in most places and you can go from bar to bar as they do not all have the same happy hour time.

Which bit are you staying in, then I can tell you more places. I am in 1800 quite a lot of the time during the season. Sounds like you enjoy a good party. For that Arc 1800 is the place to be Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcrazy, well it has to be said that BMF_Skier, wasn't going to be happy until he had shoved my halo sideways. He's been looking for an opportunity to tell the tale about the dice for a long time. Yes, I guess I can be pursuaded to party, but its not so easy to do when we've got the kids in tow rolling eyes I reckon he'll end up dice rolling himself and leaving me looking after them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, what are the dates when you are out. Do you know which bitof 1800 you are in, it is very stretched out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, wow, it's just as well you weren't around when my ski buddy and I were in Les Arcs (staying at rob@rar's place, where I believe the MegaBMF clan are staying) last season, looks as though you might have led us seriously astray! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good luck, the ones I went in were all robbery and unsurprisingly mostly empty when I was there in March. The supermarkets were doing a good trade on tins though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, it's Chalet St. Bernard, in the Alpage du Chantel part of Arc 1800. Without a map I haven't the foggiest where that is in relation to other places though. We are looking for a foot of fresh powder on top of 3 foot plus of properly bashed based by the last week in Jan. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, http://www.lesarcsapartment.com/Les_Arcs/Location.html
There is no question on earth that your landlord hasn't anticipated. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, Very Happy I am pleased that you report so highly of your stay there. As you know I have been going to VT - the only big resort I've experienced since being able to ski a bit better and I don't think its any secret that I have a really soft spot for it and I've got really comfortable there. I am looking at Les Arc's with mixed feelings - I guess it will be very good for my skiing confidence to ski somewhere new, and I hope that we are going to have a really good time there, but I am giving up my beloved VT to go there (though I didn't have much option as I couldn't afford VT this year as a family holiday and won't be able to do the EoSB) and I very much hope that I end up enjoying it as much as I do going to VT.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, you'll *definitely* enjoy Les Arcs. The skiing is absolutely superb. We were only there for four days in March and despite skiing long days didn't get to cover everywhere - it's massive, with lots of variation too. I'd say out of the five Embarassed resorts I visited last season, I enjoyed the skiing in Les Arcs the most. (It was hot sun every day, mind you!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, With your level of experience there's something very reassuring in going back to where you know. You will quickly find that, although it will take you a bit of time to find your way around, generally everything works just the same and you will fall in love with many resorts as you try more locations. It's a ski resort, what's to go wrong. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, there are tons and tons of gorgeous runs in Les Arcs, many of them easier than the stuff you will have skiied in Val Thorens, there's no need at all to be nervous, unless you get dragged down something really gnarly, and who would do that to you? wink One word of warning: please don't be tempted to ski Malgovert (which Bertie Bassett describes well - his TR is incredibly comprehensive) 'cos it SO isn't red! Shocked

I'm a huge fan of the Three Valleys, but I absolutely loved the skiing in Les Arcs and am sure you will too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, If I am around when you are out we can all get together for a cruise and see how you ski. That way I can point you in the right direction for stuff you will enjoy on your own. I tend not to suggest to much until I have seen how people ski as I could make a mistake and they can end up out of there depth. As I said Arc 1800 is a great place to party so it will be even more fun to show you a few spots as well.

Hurtle, Malgovert is only a red!!!! Sorry no way is it a black. It is unpisted and they now call it a Natur ride like in Tignes, but the kids love it. My neice is 9 and only wants to ski that run all day if would let her. You have to be able to turn to miss the odd rock or tree but in nice snow it is one of the safest fun routes to ski or board in the resort. The biggest problem is all the ski school groups that do it.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, yes, I know it's marked red (bertie bassett says that, and IMV his assessment of the run in the TR which Boredsurfing links above, is spot on) but at least on the day I skiied it, it was extremely difficult, with huge moguls, and the additional hazards of random rocks and bushes to avoid. I found it pretty testing and I'm a much more experienced skier than Megamum. I was also disconcerted - it was a beautiful day - by the number of spectators picnicking on the high rocks and no doubt observing my less elegant turns with some amusement! Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks for all the comments - I will try to keep an open mind and not to keep hankering for VT {sob} which just isn't going to happen this year. I guess I should think myself lucky to be able to afford to go to such a well known area anyway as an alternative.

I have read Bertie Bassett's TR and Hurtle's, comments and def. feel that if there is soooo much skiing there that I cannot see there being a need to to try Malgovert - I have already marked it with an X on my piste map. Can it be seen from another run or lift? - I found in VT that I was beginning to get to the stage of picking runs from the lifts and seeing them from other runs that I was then able to say yes, or no-way to and did several new reds (that to my mind has some respectably steep sections in them - top of Portette with no soft snow on it springs to mind) last year. I think I could probably tree dodge, but Moguls are something that I have had very little practice and certainly no instruction in doing - I would sooner not encounter them if I could avoid it and if Malgovert is prone to them that seems like a good reason to avoid it unless I can see it from a different angle beforehand that its in good condition. No point in giving spectators a free comedy show if its not necessary!! Laughing

Snowcrazy If you are around when we are it would be good to meet up - I am much better than I was, but still have loads to learn and lots of confidence to find on steeper/mogully bits. Neither of us have visited the resort before and if anything it would be handly to know what [u]not[/b] to try!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, Familiarity breeds contempt - quit whining ( wink ) about not going to VT and try something new, it's the only way to get on and improve

Also, pouring over a piste map weeks before you go with a big red marker pen to scribble out anything 'black' is only going to hold you back when you get there - you need to relax, feel the breeze, and play the conditions when you get there......and besides, there are really not too many 'no go' areas around Les Arcs anyway which are not clearly marked from the top of any lift
snow conditions
snowcrazy, I guess the Canadien is out of the question for Megamum, but I hear she done some off piste in Val Thorens Cool
snow report
Guvnor, It's only Malgovert that I've marked - anything black will go under consideration once I'm there and have seen snow conditions and the slope. I have done the odd one or two easy ones in the past and got down then unscathed (not prettily, but unscathed) so they are not off the radar.

Boredsurfing, I've jumped off the edge once or twice - yes, but not huge amounts and only with an instructor. However, the day we hit a considerable quantity of unbashed powder in Switzerland last year I might as well have been off piste for how it skied!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy