Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choice of resort for the first week in Jan 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Im looking for to book up a trip the first week of Jan could possibly go from the 2nd week my friend is looking at Tignes as it is snow sure and a big resort but it is not my favourite place, have you peeps got any sugestions af better resorts that may tempt him.
I like St Anton for a big resort that is pretty snow sure but i dont know how good it is that early on in the season.
Any info would be great.
Darren
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nibbley-uk, Can fit you in 2nd >> 15th Jan. Twin room in the B&B.
Or
S/c appt, sleeps 6, from Sunday 10th to Sat 16th. £500 snowHead 's price.
PDS should be large enough for your friend Smile
Contact Nina via site below for a price in the B&B.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nibbley-uk,
You often get more resposes in the Resort Review sections for this kind of question.

Anyway to answer your question St Anton has a reputation for being good early season which judging by my several visits is a well founded reputation.

To expand on the answer I always point out reliable for snow does not equate to being at all sure about where will have the best conditions.
In january conditions often vary considerably geographically with one year Tarentaise having great conditions another year Haute Savoie another year Tirol etc. Tignes can suffer from cold wind swept icy slopes, or you may get the very best snow.
Your best bet going in January is to wait and see where it has snowed and then book. You may well be able to get a significant last minute discount as well.

'Better' resorts are in the eye of the beholder but resorts which offer large areas and good skiing would include amongst others. Porte de soleil, Alpe d'Huez. Les Arcs, Serre Che. Zermatt, Verbier, Davos, Flims, St Anton/ Arlberg, Ischgl and literally scores of others. Which will offer the best snow is anyones guess, personally if I needed to decide now I would rather choose a resort which offers a bit of tree lined skiing as well as height but I would rather wait and see.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Your best bet going in January is to wait and see where it has snowed and then book. You may well be able to get a significant last minute discount as well.

Agreed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replies, and i know it is a hard question to answer as everyone has their favourite places.And Pam i make you right but im getting itchy fingers and a lot of places seem to be getting booked up for the first week, not sure if this has to do with the school hols.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nibbley-uk,
Quote:

a lot of places seem to be getting booked up for the first week,

Unless a resort is holding a major alpine skiing event I cannot see any resort being booked out for the first week of january. It is concievable that individual tour operators may have their allocation in one or two resorts booked out or if you have to fly from a low capacity airport I guess flights could sell out from them but no resort will book out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nibbley-uk, what exactly do you mean by "first week"? and what kind of accommodation/holiday are you looking for? I really only know about France, but certainly the first week of January is one of the most deserted weeks in most resorts there.

But sure, if you want to book now, nothing stopping you! But be aware that right now there are plenty of really good resorts with very little snow about. So unless you want to go somewhere extra high, like Tignes (which could be pretty bleak, windy, cold and miserable if it's a very cold January) there are good arguments for waiting.

And when you say "better resorts" if you give us an idea of the kind of thing you like, and dislike, we could have a go! Otherwise, we're rather in the dark as to your needs...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First week in Jan is the Russian New Year so 4*/5* hotels in places like Zermatt and Courchevel could book up quickly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beeorchid, good point! You don't find a lot of Russians where I ski, possibly because there aren't any 5 or even 4* hotels. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
nibbley-uk, what exactly do you mean by "first week"? and what kind of accommodation/holiday are you looking for? I really only know about France, but certainly the first week of January is one of the most deserted weeks in most resorts there.

But sure, if you want to book now, nothing stopping you! But be aware that right now there are plenty of really good resorts with very little snow about. So unless you want to go somewhere extra high, like Tignes (which could be pretty bleak, windy, cold and miserable if it's a very cold January) there are good arguments for waiting.

And when you say "better resorts" if you give us an idea of the kind of thing you like, and dislike, we could have a go! Otherwise, we're rather in the dark as to your needs...

Like i said at the start of my post i am looking to book the FIRST WEEK of Jan and could even do the 2nd week of Jan, ideally i would like catered chalet as got used to Ski miquel and Mark warner type hols, my friend is quiet at work just after the new year and is off with his wife skiing later on in Jan so the start would be best for us to go somewhere.
I prefer tree lined runs and not open baren resorts but i do understand that generally no trees are found generally at the higher resorts and more snow sure where as some of the resorts i have been that have tree lined runs and have been lower generally have been bad for snow just after the new year IMV.l
So i would like to find a resort that has 200 or more kms of piste, tree lined runs,plenty of snow early Jan, catered or full board no more than a 3hr transfer, and does not break the bank.
Should be easy to find dont ya think wink Razz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nibbley-uk, It is basicaly take your pick on resorts! Where do you want to go and no doubt we can find a place at a decent price. First week in Jan (ie Sat 2nd January) will as pam w, said be nearly deserted! Let us know where you want to go and leave the rest to the snowHead s!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok definately pinned it down to St Anton now, on either the first or second week of Jan as we are all ok for either week.
It will be a good place to test the skis i got from Kiwi as i have only had a little tester on them at MK snowdome.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ps if anybody else fancies going it would be nice to meet up with some peeps from this site.So far we are a group of 3 x 40 plus year old males with more than 15 weeks experience each.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 13-12-09 23:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pps best price i have so far for catered chalet is £550 including flights and transfers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its snowing here in Les Deux Alpes...not trees but other than that I think we would fit the bill!!!
snow report
Cheers Alex but just talked them into St Anton, mind you Les Deux Alpes is somewhere i have never been and would be keen to try sometime in the future.
snow conditions
Hi Darren! Are you still looking because I think I have spaces on a trip that exactly fits your bill.

January 3rd-10th to fully catered luxury chalet in Meribel with ski passes for the entire 3 Valleys for 520. Flights are organised individually so you can fly to chambery from whereever is local and convenient for you. Most flights from uk arrive to chambery within about an hour of each other so we're all going to meet up there and transfer to the chalet as a group. Return private transfers will cost no more than 50 quid apiece and will run to our times. Flights cost as little as 30 quid return if you're lucky!

The chalet is a matter of yards from the main ski lift. It comprises 8 bedrooms, some double and some twin, all) suite, a large living area including a sauna and a hot tub on our private veranda!

Our group is a range of ages from 23 through to 40 with males and females alike. Mostly skiers but one or two boarders. We're looking to hit the slopes hard and enjoy the apers ski too. The chalet is fully catered with standard tems so one day to eat out. Full breakfasts, afternoon tea and cakes and the evening 3-course meal is accompanied by free wine!

Would you be interested in this as an option? How many of you are there?

Regards,

Richard
snow report
RB6 wrote:
Hi Darren! Are you still looking because I think I have spaces on a trip that exactly fits your bill.

January 3rd-10th to fully catered luxury chalet in Meribel with ski passes for the entire 3 Valleys for 520. Flights are organised individually so you can fly to chambery from whereever is local and convenient for you. Most flights from uk arrive to chambery within about an hour of each other so we're all going to meet up there and transfer to the chalet as a group. Return private transfers will cost no more than 50 quid apiece and will run to our times. Flights cost as little as 30 quid return if you're lucky!

The chalet is a matter of yards from the main ski lift. It comprises 8 bedrooms, some double and some twin, all) suite, a large living area including a sauna and a hot tub on our private veranda!

Our group is a range of ages from 23 through to 40 with males and females alike. Mostly skiers but one or two boarders. We're looking to hit the slopes hard and enjoy the apers ski too. The chalet is fully catered with standard tems so one day to eat out. Full breakfasts, afternoon tea and cakes and the evening 3-course meal is accompanied by free wine!

Regards,

Richard
Hi - just looking at this info from Richard - I'm possibly looking to get a week's skiing in first week in Jan !! Wonder what the situation is now regarding spaces ?? I've skied about 14 years, bit of a late starter, but competent - been to 3 vallies a few times too. Thanks
snow conditions
Thanks Richard but we are now all sorted, we are booked to fly out on the 10 of jan to St Anton with Mark warner to the chalethotel Schweizerhof.
This is a catered chalet with ski leading, which is really handy for getting to know the resort.
The price at the moment is £545 with flights and transfers so not bad for such a good resort, there are places left at the chalet and the snow is looking good so if anyone wants to book give Mark warner a call.
snow report
Any other snowhead members going to be in St Anton from the 10th of Jan ????
The snow is looking to be good for that date so really looking forward to it.
ski holidays
RB6 wrote:

Regards,

Richard

Hi

Just wondering where this chalet is ? £520 including ski passes seem like a really good price and wouldnt mind keeping this in mind for when we book the next ski trip! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy