Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal - Gerlos

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm off to the Zillertal, which I haven't been to before, and I am using Gerlos as a base.

Are there any tips out there? Firstly, any useful information about Gerlos and good places to go to eat and drink? Also, how easy is it to get on the public transport and get to Mayrhofen? How long does it take?

Many thanks,

Phil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gerlos is the most out of the way of the main bases in the Zillertal.

The ski buses are good, but it would still take quite a while to get to Mayrhofen. You do, of course, have the Zillertal Arena as your "local" skiing, and that is quite a decent sized ski area by itself.

Ski bus timetables are here http://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/seilbahnen_skibus.html?PHPSESSID=23f962768ae1d9c65f80fc628c00cfc0

The only time I skied over that far (I was staying in Zell am Ziller), I had a lunch of spit roast half chicken while sat outside the Larmach-Alm which was excellent value at €6.50.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see your point. I picked Gerlos because it had one of the larger 'linked' ski areas, so I may be happy there alone. I was just curious to see whether exploring was on the cards!

Anyone been to Gerlos and have any feedback on the place?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pallen, Would be interested to hear how you get on, as I was a whisker away from booking for this years family trip. http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/ is a cracking website and should give you plenty of lowdown on the place. Matt Brown is a fellow Very Happy and raves about Gerlos and Koenigsleiten.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pallen, I've never stayed in Gerlos but I've skied there a few times. I've no idea what the village is like to stay overnight but I've driven through it. It seems to be quite compact with everything along the main street. There's a bar with a massive Beefeater stood outside - called London Pub or Scotland Yard or something similar. Presumably, that's the obligatory "British pub" although I was surprised to see it as the most common visitors to that area are German and Dutch.

For skiing - what kind of thing are you looking for?
In Zell am Ziller there are a lot of red pistes, that are often bumpy in the afternoon.
I've just looked for a piste map on the web and found this interactive map...
http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal/index.asp?chn=zoom3&Aktuell=Lifte&lang=de
My favourite piste in Zell is Red 18 - twists and rolls through the trees, if you're feeling hungry go to the Schnitzlhuette near the bottom of that piste for the biggest schnitzels.
The Krimml X-press is possibly the coldest chairlift ride in the world! Don't plan to go on it if the weather is bad, and if you do, wear ALL of your clothes!
In Gerlos, it is possible to download on the chairlift if you don't fancy skiing Black 36. It's not a difficult black piste, the problem with it is that they have a line of snow cannons down the middle of it, so there's a tendency to get scraped "icy" patches to the sides of the snow cannons and push pile mounds of soft snow in the middle of the piste between the cannons... Not very enjoyable if you're a bit nervous and struggle to adapt to changing snow conditions.
Blue 34 is a massively wide blue piste, very flattering and fantastic for beginning intermediates.
In Koenigsleiten, there is plenty of easily accessible, 'just off the edge of the piste' off piste. The pistes and edge of pistes from the Falschbach are great but the chair is very slow.
The Fussalm restaurant has the best apple strudel!
Koenigsleiten is quieter than Zell and the pistes mostly are with rollers and corners which make it more interesting.
Krimml is a nice little area, blues and easy reds.

If you wanted a day in a different area, according to the bus timetable it takes about 40 mins to Mayrhofen. In the opposite direction is an interesting little resort called Wildkogel. It's included on the Zillertal lift pass, although it's not in Zillertal. It's a great little area with two fantastic valley runs. Be wary of the piste maps though - they may have changed them since last year, I don't know, but last year several of the lifts were marked on the map as though they ran in the opposite direction...

I hope that helps...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi SaraJ. Well you certainly know the ski area. My question relates to getting there! I am also booked to go to Gerlos and wonder if you have any suggestions about transfers from Munich? Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wib, There was a thread asking exactly the same question earlier in the summer
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1290177&highlight=gerlos#1290177
I've just had a quick scan through it and it seems that the options are car hire or maybe Four Seasons Travel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the thread. Have already looked at 4 Seasons. They seem pretty good but as always it always pays to get a "local" view. So what will you be doing on 31st January? Only if you just happen to be passing Munich.................. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks SaraJ,

That is great information. I am a fan of massive Schitzels, so will defintely go to Schnitzlhuette! I had seen the hotel/bar with the bearskin-hatted guy out front. I might avoid that.

I would like some more challenging terrain, so I think I might err towards Zell, but I have a week to explore so I will see where I feel happiest - like you say it is as weather-dependant as anything sometimes!

wib - we're going from Innsbruck, but the same theory might apply in that we're getting the train and it is cheap as chips. The route Innsbruck to Jenbach to Zell-am-Ziller to Gerlos (bus) is only 25.20 euros per person return! Compared to the £250 for a hire car, that makes much more sense!

Cheers,

Phil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wib, Pallen, I hope you enjoy the skiing...
If you have any more questions give me a shout and I'll try and answer them.
It's pretty unlikely that I'll be passing Munich on the 31st January though NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy