Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private lessons at Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
'Morning all

Does anyone have any experience of the 50 minute private lessons at Chill Factore please? I'm considering it as a Christmas present for Mr A (he can ski but due to injury has not for a while, and is lacking confidence). At £99 it seems expensive but if considered worthwhile, I'll organise it rather than my first plan, which was just to book the couple of hours lift pass so we can have some slope time. Opinions and recommendations welcome. Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might wish to wish to consider the new group lessons, Improver Individual Levels 4, 5 or 6. These are group lessons (max 10) (individual refers to the fact that teach lesson relates to an individual level), although there may only be a couple of people on them if you go during the day, and cost £60 for 1 hour 50 mins. This is a main slope improver for those with some skiing skills. I suggest you contact the main number for the Chill Factore on 0161 749 2222 and discuss which level might be appropriate. The private lessons are OK, especially if you want to learn something specific, e.g. carving, but 50 minutes are over very quick and as youy say, not cheap.
Dixie Dean
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen, I think it rather depends on what is wanted from the lesson and what instructor you get.

Warning!! Shameless plug coming up:
Why don't you consider both coming to the "Cautious to Confident" week in LDA? It includes small group tuition for people who are cautious for whatever reason, including those who are coming back from injury. There's plenty of time to ski together outside the lessons and family/friends of those in lessons would hopefully enjoy skiing together too. The precise details are not fixed until later so that as far as possible they suit the needs/desires of those going.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DixieDean, (Mr A would love your name, being a fervent Blue Very Happy ) and Butterfly, many thanks - both great ideas.

Butterfly, we are actually skiing as a family in late January, so another trip wouldn't be possible this year (more's the pity), but a great option otherwise.

He has attempted to ski for each of the past three years, but had to give up pretty quickly on the first day, due to ongoing pain from compartment syndrome. This was caused by running and the orthopaedic surgeon he was referred to was not hopeful of being able to repair it, without causing further damage - the pain only occurs after a lot of walking, or when trying to ski, so I did wonder if technique may play a part. Luckily, he doesn't mind sitting on balconies or at pavement cafes, reading a book or listening to his iPod, in gorgeous mountain surroundings, whilst the rest of us ski Very Happy , although he would prefer to join us.

I'll investigate the option DixieDean, suggests, in case the instructor has a view. Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anniepen,
Can I suggest that you contact Dave down at Hemel. He is a BASI trainer for adaptive skiing. He is the most knowledgeable person I have met when it comes to skiing with any form of reduced mobility or injury. Worth a phone call at least.

Edit.
I think there is a BASI adaptive trainer who works with ChillFactor - give them a call and ask for advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, thanks so much, will investigate
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Following Wayne's suggestion, the following may help someone else.

I rang Chill Factore to speak to the BASI instructor but was diverted to the Disability Snowsports reps who are based there. They were very helpful and their Development Officer advised that they offer a 1 hour lesson which includes an assessment of Mr A's current ski ability and how the injury affects it, which is what I think is needed, at least initially. They have various bits of kit which may help alleviate the pain and so mean he can ski again. This costs £36, which is very reasonable, especially if it can give him some pointers to work on, which will mean we can again ski en famille Very Happy

I'm going to organise this, and then we will also get advice on whether the group lessons which DixieDean, suggests, will be a useful next step.

Thanks - SnowHeads to the rescue again snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Result!

Good call, Wayne.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UPDATE

Mr A and I went to Chill Factore today for his private lesson with Disability Snowsports UK. It was very successful in that the cause of his pain has been traced to his own boots! He has very muscular calves and his boots (Salomon) are too high, causing the muscles to be constricted on exercise. After trying a couple of short runs on the practice slope, the instructor (John) tried another pair of hire boots (rear entry, single buckle and shorter than the Salomon) and voila! The usual excruciating pain didn't kick in and he was able to ski the lesson, with some additional technique tips. We are going back on Monday for another lesson, this time concentrating on technique, and using the same hire boots.

The cost for today was £36 and we'd recommend the exercise for anyone in a similar situation. John spent a good while talking to my husband, before going near the slopes, to get background info. it may be that he will also need some custom-made footbeds (he also has high arches rolling eyes .....it may be kinder to shoot him) but if it means we can all ski together again, well worth it. Wayne, thanks for the tip and John says hello (knows you from Folgarida apparently Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, fantastic, I bet he can't wait for your holiday now. Hopefully he will be able to get some skiing in with you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, Thanks! The children are delighted! Dad has only been able to ski with them for the odd half hour so far, so we're all very excited!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anniepen, that's great news, glad it went well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy