Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where can we get to from Turin with snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok - just read a very depressing thread on snow conditions in Sauze/Sestriere - and think we might need to change our plans.
We are flying into Turin in 2 weeks time for a long weekend. If we hired a car - where is realistic to get to that has decent snow conditions.
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure what the snow's currently like, but you can get to any of the Val d'Aostan resorts in less than two hours from Turin ( http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/skialpin_e.asp ). Courmayeur hasn't had much natural snow recently but they've been able to run the snow canons constantly so there's loads of artificial stuff. Last week my sister was said the skiing was okay and they keep getting light flurries which, while not adding anything, are slowing down the degradation. I should think that some of the higher resorts are in better conditions.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-02-05 13:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, Cervinia should be fine. If you want to be really adventurous and want to stay in Zermatt, do it with backpacks and ski over the top.
I'd only do it with a favourable weather forecast for the return trip - otherwise you have an expensive and lengthy transfer from Zermatt to Turin. But, really, Cervinia would be fine to stay in for a couple of days!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go through the Mont Blanc tunnel, there are a lot of places in France with snow that are within 2 hours of Turin.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at hour map here for where you could get to within 2ish hours from Turin in the Southern Alps. http://www.alpsun.com/travel_en.htm
Click or hover on the little skiers on the map to see the resorts.

Our local resort Puy Saint Vincent is 100% open and we are expecting more snow shortly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Petel - link does not work..?
but wont all the southern alps be pretty snow-starved? what is Puy St V like - Ice skating scares me. xx
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, edited out the extra full stop for you.
petel, hope you don't mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Helen and sorry Jayne!

PSV is certainly not the best we've seen it, but it is not that icy either. The conditions are quite hard and you do get the odd patch of ice here and there, but generally the piste workers are doing a great job of managing the conditions.

I was out on the resort 3 times last week and enjoyed the conditions each time...much to my own suprise. I was on a board too, which is never a great experience if the conditions are v. icy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from Courmayeur, and the resort needs more snow. The pistes, apart from the seldom open, and short, Youla, are raw by lunchtime - hard-pack base with the snow pushed in to soft "moguls" wherever you go. The red/blue runs around the main lift stations were becoming quite bare, with several large ice-patches showing through. There was no new snow while we were there, apart from an hour of light snow on 13th, and the same on 20th.

Chamonix, on the other hand, was superb on Friday.

Courmayeur is about an hour from Turin, Chamonix probably another half an hour. By car, that is.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jayne,
Check out my posts regarding Val Cenis, easy to get to from Turin (have to use Frejus tunnel around 36 euro return unfortunately, watch out for route software/sites telling you to use Mount Cenis Pass as it's a Green Ski run at this time of year!) + you can get an "extra" to the normal Ski pass which allows you to Ski loads of nearby resorts for something like 72 euros for the week so you can go hunting best snow.

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/valceniswebcam/webcam_panoramique.htm

Conditions on webcam look good but obviously please check yourself Laughing

Rgds

Rich
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayne durham, La Thuile would be within range I guess. Skied there last week, based in La Rosiere, and it was not at all bad. Much more snow in La Ros and the Piccolo St Bernard Pass area and all covered by one lift pass.

CP
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy