Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report for La Rosiere and La Thuile 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
Update for the new season, snowing today with 120cms depth already on the mountain and 60 cms at village level. Meteo forecast is for more snowfalls on Thurs down to 1100metres and continuing low temperatures, looking good for the resort opening on the 12th.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to put a damper on this, I was there a few days ago and it does not look anything like you are saying and after the rain of today which was across the whole valley the depth which they post on the web page are way off what it really is. I will be up there next monday so will take some pics as well next time. On the other hand, you should all be positive and say yes!! it is going to be really good by next week as it is snowing again tonight in la ros so my mate that works there has just told me.

David L, are you out in resort or just getting this stuff from the internet sites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can we add la Thuile to this thread too?

I'm not going until March but nice for me to stay updated.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given that this is the village slope, it looks pretty good...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After the snow we had in this area last night I think I have to change what I have said. Yesterday it was pity much still the same as I had seen when I was there last. Today there must be at least another 20cm on what I saw the last time I was up there a few days back. I will take some pics early next week when I am up there again. Let the snow keep falling.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are coming to la rosiere on a package (we had to rebook at last minute, long story.....) and we've never been to the resort before. I was really heartened to read what you said about the snow out there yesterday. snowcrazy, as I'd looked at the La Thuile snowdepths and they seemed to be quite low Shocked. I guess there could be more on one side of the mountain, but I was starting to suspect some creative reporting on the part of la rosiere's resort management!!

Can you tell I am desparate to be back on the snow again??! Have missed out on my fix the last few years due to being pregnant and then having a little one to care for. She is of course the light of my life Little Angel , but I really miss my skiing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robertsnerys, that area is affected by different systems sometimes which accounts for the imbalance in snow coverage between La Ros and La Thuile on occasion. It's not a bad resort for getting back into the swing of things and it is very family orientated. No doubt you already knew this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Thuile is also, I think a bit lower, no?

Anyway, all looking good and roll on Sunday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chasseur, that would explain things. Thanks also for the positive words about the resort. We will enjoy it no matter what - hey, someone else is going to be cooking for us (and preparing my daughter's fish fingers/spag bol for the week) Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Rosiere is great - but fairly tame skiing on the French side. Lots of good easy and accessible off piste to try.
Hope the long drag link to Italy is open .... and you don't fall off it !
Much more interesting skiing in La Thuile with some great tree lined blacks with some short, steep pitches.
Make sure you go for Pizza at the Rascard on the Petit St Bernard pass road piste just as you come into La Thuile.
Petit Danois is good in La Ros too...... Roll on Red Eric.
Have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PBJ, you've obviously never skied off the north face of the fort, if you know where to go there is some seriously challenging skiing to be found. Cunners, La Thuile is about 1400 metres but because their pistes are north facing there are different ski characteristics, the best way to think of the area is to disregard the border and consider it as a single domain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi David, have done that both down to Ecudets and to Petit Bois on the pisted side ..... I am a fan. But not sure seriously challenging is the right description.
The La Thuile side is more challenging but there are occasions when the link is closed - it was for my entire first week there. If it is closed, the French side is more limited.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ThanksPBJ: we are crap but enthusiastic skiers so the blacks will probably be a bit too much for us...DavidL, we won't be skiing off the north face of the Fort, unless we get seriously lost Embarassed . Tame skiing on the french side sounds absolutely fine. Plus, god only knows what's happened to my ligaments since I had my baby - think that's probably cause enough to avoid anything too ambitious. thanks very much for the restaurant recommendations - we will definitely be up for a few long lunches.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David L wrote:
La Thuile is about 1400 metres but because their pistes are north facing there are different ski characteristics, the best way to incessantly market the area is to disregard the border and consider it as a single domain.

fixed that for you
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor, hmmm, not quite so IMHO. Yes the col can be closed in bad weather but I/we consider it to be one area. Much the same way as Meribel is to Val Thorens, Tignes to Val d'Isere, Orelle to Val Thorens, Zermatt to Cervinia etc etc
snow conditions
Ah, you know the season's started when the "greatest resort in the universe" thing gets going again Very Happy

For what it's worth I'm fairly impartial and as long as there's a couple of lifts and any snow at all I'm usually happy anywhere, so I'm sure it'll be splendid, but i shall give my unbiased (and franky worthless) opinion upon my return. If either side wishes to bribe me, of course, I accept beer.
snow report
robertsnerys, the tartiflette from the self-service restaurant at the bottom of the Fort chair is also worth taking in... round it off with a shot of genepi Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Cunners, I am with you on that one - one lift and a bit of snow will do me too most of the time - I once lived in this town where there was a tiny local ski area just up the roadand had some of my best ski days ever there. The ‘resort’ was quite basic and miniscule, but there was something lovely about it. Never minded doing the same runs again and again, even when I went a couple of days in a row. Wish we had a local ski area near us in surrey (guildford dry slope does not count) ...oops, going a bit off topic here.

Are you going there independently or with a TO, cunners?

Thanks talltone for the foodie recommendations. I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly had tartiflette or genepi. Not skied in france or French-speaking country since I was about 16.
snow conditions
robertsnerys, alors, Bonnes Vacances!
latest report
PBJ, you obviously haven't skied off the north face of the fort , it's not a piste and it should only be attempted with a guide, petit bois is a good piste but IMO is best classified as an Italian black although having said that pistas 2 & 3 down into La Thuile are extremely steep and quite hairy when icy.Guvnor, rest assured when I need an editor you won't be contacted, if you don't want to read about La Rosiere in a post with the title 'La Rosiere snow report 09/10' then you're a tad dumb.
snow report
David L, Bless, I love you - can I have your babies when I am in town on Monday?
ski holidays
Gopping green bonfire jacket, gopping red salomon falcon boots, boring black troosis. If you point at the sky near someone fitting that description and say "hey, is that uranus?" I'll say hello.
ski holidays
We're arriving in La Rosiere on Sunday 20th - although the snow looks OK (not brilliant, but OK) I see that fewer than half the pistes are open and only 23 out of 38 lifts are running with the link to La Thuile closed. Is this just a first week of the season thing or do they need more snow to open up the whole domain?
ski holidays
agw, Sorry to say that it is the lack of snow. The poma link to Italy has very poor snow right now. The area down to the chair below La Ros has not opened at all either. The area below the new development also does not have enough snow to open. BUT the main ski area had good snow until the wind picked up and blew the top layer of powder away, now it is very cold and hard packed everywhere. I hope it snows again soon.
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
agw, Sorry to say that it is the lack of snow. The poma link to Italy has very poor snow right now. The area down to the chair below La Ros has not opened at all either. The area below the new development also does not have enough snow to open. BUT the main ski area had good snow until the wind picked up and blew the top layer of powder away, now it is very cold and hard packed everywhere. I hope it snows again soon.
Sad
- ah well there might be some snow Sunday into Monday so fingers crossed, forecasts not all in agreement yet. I'll need a couple of days to get my legs back anyway. Hard pack I can cope with. Not keen on ice, though.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:

the main ski area had good snow until the wind picked up and blew the top layer of powder away

Booooooo! Why is it so damned windy in the St Bernard area rolling eyes

Well, I'll be out over the weekend...will try to report on conditions when I get back.
latest report
There's some nice but limited piste cruising to be had, as pass still closed, absolutely gorgeous views
with this weather but it is a little firm. One day lost to wind but one great pow day and no one here!

Bit chilly with these clear blue skies though.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:

How much of the link is not open because there's not enough demand on the Italian side? Seems to me that the two drags are running but nothing Italian on that side of the moutain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Off the La Thuile website this morning

Quote:
From Saturday, December 19, 2009 will be opened at other plants and thus runs the gateway to the French La Rosière

But live lift reports don't show them running as yet, only 3 weeks to go..... not excited honest.
snow conditions
Just back from a fab week in La Rosiere; IMHO snow was great - good groomed skiing, and yesterday and Friday we were skiing perfect pistes with a nice thin layer of light powder on top. Visibility was a bit iffy but it was great to ski that kind of snow - I never have, really, before.

God, it was cold though. I had about 4 layers on, one of those snood things, hoody with hood up, and a helmet, and my ears still went numb. ON some days it was about -19 c at the top, not accounting for windchill Shocked Shocked

The slopes were extremely quiet, but guessing that was because it was first week of season.

The link to La Thuile wasn't open at all yesterday, saturday 19th. I spoke to someone at the lift company and she said there wasn't enough snow on the La Thuile side (she said about 25 cm at the top Shocked ). Not many runs further down on the La Thuile side were open in any case ...

HOpe anyone going out soon has a good time. Anyone who is heading out there imminently will have great snow conditions, notwithstanding a freak heatwave...I think about 15 cm snow fell at resort level (la rosiere) over the night of friday/ saturday, more during saturday day. When we left this morning at 6.30 am, it was like a huge frozen winter wonderland.
ski holidays
robertsnerys, I am pleased to hear it got better after the 15th when we were there. But I did not hear that the link to Italy had opened at all yet or that the bottom lifts have opened so although I agree the snow in the main ski area is now very good. It is still only a very small part of the whole ski area that is open. I will be back there in a week and hope to report the whole area is open at last.
snow report
snowcrazy, it's true - quite a lot of the terrain was closed, but I looked today (feeling sad about being back Sad Sad ) and more runs and lifts seem to be open/ opening, including the link to italy.
snow report
Just back from a long weekend (complete with Eurostar-based shenanigans, will try to write a TR later...). As robertsnerys says, there was a fair bit of snow on Saturday. Sunday morning was a dream...grippy but forgiving pistes, and plenty of untracked powder. There were still some wind-blown areas where the surface was crusty (particular around the as yet un-made boarder-cross on Traversette), which were fairly tricky to spot (that's my excuse anyway...). The freeride zone Zittieux (sp?) was open (I think) and skiing well, as was the area under the Eucherts chair.

On Sunday afternoon the clouds drew in and then by 6pm it was chucking it down...small flakes (still very very cold), but lots of them. Very disappointing to be going home with that much snow falling... Sad

The link to La Thuile was open on Sunday, but we couldn't be bothered to head over (we knew where the powder was in La Ros Cool )

Cunners, I think we may have seen you a couple of times...but I'd forgotten what you said you'd be wearing, and didn't fancy siddling up to a random and asking about uranus (guy and girl in green jackets, followed you from traversette to Plan du Repos on Fri). Apologies...will be more brazen next time!
ski holidays
Heh! Yeah, that was myself and another snowhead. Think I saw you - did you have ARVAs on?

Life improved immensely when Plan Du Repos finally opened last week, another vital hot chocolate stop. That wind crust over the fort side was killer on the Friday, every third turn was like being rugby tackled. Glad you got the goods on the saturday and sunday though - sadly I was heading home saturday AM, had to make do with the powder at the start of the week.
snow report
Cunners, yep that was us. Plan du Repos was a godsend...we spent so long sat in front of their fire over the weekend that by Sunday the staff were greeting us like friends Smile
snow report
Off to La Ros in 2 weeks are there any updates on snow conditions? From the website most of the La Ros side seems to be open but not the La Thuile side are conditions over there a lot worse?
snow report
Looks like they are due a few wet days Sad. Out in just under a couple weeks too so hope those temps drop
snow report
Rob_Quads, when are you out? We're flying 10th Jan stopping with Ski Esprit in Arnica.
snow conditions
I'm flying out on the 9th with Skiworld. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Rob_Quads, who knows might see you there Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy