Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shorter ski for dryslope?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been getting some practice in at Bracknell and have got the hang of pivot turns albeit very skiddy ones. Now I am trying to move on to a more edged, carving turn but find this tricky on their surface as it is very tricky to get an edge on (at least for me it is).

So I was wondering whether a different length ski would help. Would a shorter ski turn quicker and easier or would it have less edge to hold on to and just skid?

I'm about 176 cm tall and normally use a 170.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tiffin, Length is not everything! Most regular dry slope skiers ski on shorter skis than they do on snow, they also tend to prefer skis with a narrower waist and a smaller turn radius. If you are you are using the slopes own skis the edges are probably not very sharp. Having your own skis which you can keep sharp certainly help when trying to carve on plastic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tiffin, perversely it helps when the surface is not too dry. Getting an edge is 50% confidence. Gradual application of pressure helps, as does a slightly wider stance. You do need decent edges on the skis, but do not need to be obsessive.
I am 180 tall and 80 kilos and use a 155 cm ski with a 10m radius at Bracknell. I have also used a 165 with a radius of 12m, but you should be able to get three or four longer turns in on the 170s.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tiffin, I'm 5' 10" and ski plastic on either 150 or 160 depending what's left one the rack. On the subject of shorter ski's, a run on blades might help you get the feel for more edged arcs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin, ... if you can arrange it, try either the Hemel or one of the other dryslopes near you. Bracknell has a carpet like surface that does not give you much help with your edges. Slopes covered in Dendix (Aldershot for example), will support an edged ski much better. Probably best to have a ski (to get used to it) and then have a lesson. Once you've learned how to do it, it is possible on the carpet, but not easy.

170cm sounds long, I'm 170 (ish) and 60 kg, and I use 155 to race on (just the same as every one else).. but sharper edges probably more important than length.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, Aldershot isn't much further away from me, just a bit more awkward to get to.

Is the Dendix better to learn on or does the carpet has it advantages? I guess the carpet is a softer, flatter, more even surface (ignoring the places it has rucked up) which is better for freestyle?

I have tended to use a 170 because even though only I'm 5' 10" I am unusually dense and weigh 95 kg Smile. But I guess weight is not such a factor on a dry slope.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffin, I've not skied the carpet style stuff but I imagine it's good for freestyle (burns aside). Dendex will be a better bet for your carving etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm 65-70kg and ride a 170 and find carving fine on dendex on them. You just need to exaggerate your movements slightly more than you would so on snow.

Quote:

But I guess weight is not such a factor on a dry slope.

Weight and ability are still the most important factors for choosing length for dryslope skis as the extra length is not just there to help you float in powder but to support your weight through the turn and stop the ski from breaking loose.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy