Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's Largest Ski Area?

Poster: A snowHead
I notice that Kitzbuhel are now promoting themselves as "Europe's Largest Ski Area" - there are banner ads running on various websites. I know that the whole of Kitzbuhler Alps (includes places like Westendorf and Soll etc) is fairly huge now it's all kind of linked up but I'd have thought it still wasn't as big as Ski Amade or a few well-known places in France. Just noticed it and thought they were making a bit of an odd claim.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dolomiti Superski. No Doubt.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there needs to be a clear differentiation between 'linked' and 'un-linked-but-reachable-by-bus-or-car' ski resorts. Chamonix, for example, falls very definitely into the second category, but places like Portes du Soleil may be in the first category. Also, does 'largest' mean most kilometres of piste, or largest square footage which would include un-skiable terrain like closely planted forests, cliffs, rock...

ps: Portes du Soleil used to advertise itself as the largest in the world.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
enaikay78, there are also bus links in the PdS, notably Super Chatel to Linga. For what it's worth I believe that Les Arcs and La Plagne combined is the largest linked area, if that sort of thing is important to you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neither the kitzalps area nor the Dolomiti superski area are anywhere near all lift linked.

Dolomiti Superski claims 1200km of pistes (in 12 ski areas). Kitzalps claims 1081Km of piste + 83Km of itineraries (in 7 ski areas), which makes Dolomiti larger purely in terms of piste kilometres.

But if you start looking at total skiable area including accessible off-piste, I suspect Kitzalps has rather more off-piste, so could be argued to be bigger. But there isn't really very much in it, TBH.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
By Kitzalps do you mean the SkiWelt (Westendorf/Soll/Ellmau etc) and Kitzbuhel, or are there more resorts linked in now? I seem to remember reading (probably incorectly lol) that SkiWelt had 250km of piste (although frankly apart from Westendorf most of it's a fairly tedious 'blues cruise'), and Kitzbuhel surely can't have 750km of pistes?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, The ad is a banner ad on www.onthesnow.co.uk - It just refers to Kitzbuhel itself and hitting the banner lands you at the Kitzbuhel website. They are claiming to be Europe's biggest - very strange.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of properly linked areas, surely the Trois Vallee (actually 4 valleys now, though still called 3) and Val d'Isere are the most lifts and pistes totals.
The Dolomites: Sella Ronda and associated lifts, probably come close, but it revolves around a big area with no lifts. Square kilometres mean nothing if most is not skiable from lifts.
Are any of the Austrian areas which claim more piste kilometres really linked?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wikipedia says the Les Trois Vallees is the largest ski area in the world. It has about 660 km of pistes and 163 lifts.
Kitzbuhel /Pass Turn area has 52 lifts and 163km of pistes, unless you count other areas which aren't really linked.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-12-09 16:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, I mean the area covered by the Kitzalps ski pass.

The Kitzalps ski pass covers 7 separate areas

Kitzbuhel
Ski Welt (Going-Ellmau-Scheffau-Soll-Itter-Hopfgarten-Brixen-Westendorf)
Wildschonau (Neiderau-Auffach)
Alpbachtal
Schneewinkel (St Johan in tyrol, Kirchdorf, Waidring-Steinplatte, St Jakob, Feiberbrunn)
Ski Circus (Saalbach-Hinteglemm-Leogang)
Kaprun-Zell am Zee

http://www.kitzalps.com/en/ski-area-kitzbueheler-alpen.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just saw an ad for the Valais skicard covering 2,800 km of pistes...obviously not linked. I guess that would be the most you get on a single skipass.

http://www.valais.ch/fr/navpage.cfm?category=SkiCardVS

Don't know for linked. I thought the Dolomiti Superski has 600km of linked runs as part of its total 1,200km - need to check what it said on my map. 3 Vallees has 600 km and snowball is right, probably more area in terms of accessible terrain. Paradiski has 425 km according to the lesarcs.com website.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, The dolomiti superski area is way larger than Les 3 Vallees (nearly twice the size), but as you say, is not lift linked. The same applies to Kitzalps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, but those areas aren't really linked. Sure you can make an excursion for the day to another area, but it isn't all linked tightly together like the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah well if we're talking about most kilometres from a single pass, the Tirol snowcard must be fairly high up the list - 77 different resorts, including the likes of Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt, St Johann, All the Innsbruck area (Axamer Lizum, Stubaier Gletscher, Schlick2000), Mayrhofen and some other big biggies. Not bad for 590 yoyos for the season, that's less than just the St Anton pass (which I'm gutted isn't covered, that would have made it one of the best passes of all time!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
Of properly linked areas, surely the Trois Vallee (actually 4 valleys now, though still called 3) and Val d'Isere are the most lifts and pistes totals.

Lift-linked KM's of piste then it's 3v, Paradiski then EK..
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Ah well if we're talking about most kilometres from a single pass, the Tirol snowcard must be fairly high up the list - 77 different resorts, including the likes of Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt, St Johann, All the Innsbruck area (Axamer Lizum, Stubaier Gletscher, Schlick2000), Mayrhofen and some other big biggies. Not bad for 590 yoyos for the season, that's less than just the St Anton pass (which I'm gutted isn't covered, that would have made it one of the best passes of all time!

And there is also the similar Salzbugsuper ski card. Except that one is available for shorter periods too, not just for the whole season.

But with both those passes being based on political divisions, they don't actually map all that well to ski areas, and you get oddities like the Zillertal Arena being on the Salzbuger one, while none of the rest of the Zillertal is.

And the Schneewinkel area being part on one and part on the other. (Waidring-steinplatte & Reit am Winkel being on the Salzbuger card, the rest bing on the tirol card)

http://www.salzburgersuperskicard.com/
snow report
Salzbrg Superpass covers all of Salzburg region plus other resorts near the borders. Total of 2200km piste. See http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_2200-km-of-slopes_129446/direktlink.html for all the facts and figures. Not lift linked, but that doesn't bother me too much. Just got my pass at 510€, been testing the last few days and glad to say it works. Some nice spring like piste conditions today, winter must be close Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy