Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best energy powder/supplement for 2.5L Hydration Pack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, got myself a dakine heli bag for this years ski trip, and my hydration pack fits in, so im defo going to take advantage of that, but dont really want just water and from my road biking days i dont like the SIS stuff flavour wise plus didnt feel like it was doing a great deal,

so just looking for any advice/tips please?

Cheers Andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hydration pack + energy drink = yucky growth! Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was going to say SIS. Have you tried it recently? Flavors have improved.

As abc, says, watch out for bacterial growth in hydration pasks when using energy drinks. Use Milton solution or similar to clean them out.

adrian
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers for advice agt i can see how easy that could happen!

what do you put in yours then? or anyone for that matter, no havent tried sis lately.

I may just have to get some barley squash and a couple more snickers, just thought may be able to mix with energy at same time

clarky id love too put sopmething stronger in there but im a light weight. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's wrong with good old water for the average holiday skier???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pokari Sweat

(http://www.pocarisweat.com.ph/)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aw-hicks, I tend to be "old-school" when on the bike and stick with water or Robinsons Peach cordial. When I was racing I'd use SIS Blackcurrent flavour PSP22. You could always get a small sachet to try the taste.

When I'm skiing it's just water or coffee... when I can afford it.

adrian
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maximuscle Viper is good
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use the blackcurrant SIS, I really like the taste. I don't make it anywhere near as strong as the lable says to though. I found just having water was ok, but having a drink that I really like encourages me to drink the full 3 litres throughout the day, and I think my energy levels benefit from it too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
squash and pinch of salt Electrolytes sorted ,dead cheap Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For hot weather some of this......

http://www.torq.ltd.uk/acatalog/TORQ_energy_drinks.html

OR in cold weather, allsports winter training formula.. chocolate flavour.

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/allsports.cgi

Both tried and tested over thousands of miles on a bike. The winter training formula was great for skiing last Easter, first time I'd tried it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just put water. Too much hassle with the cleaning bit.

Even then, watch out for the drinking tube to freeze over.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aw-hicks, Use Miltons fluid to sterilize the packs after use.

I prefer water and take some sachets of glucose gels for energy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
guys thanks for this advice, very helpful, not sure on the viper or muscle stuff just want the energy really

will give the SIS a go again and defo watch out for bacteria dont want to be hit with flu, as for freezing my pack has an anti freeze sleeve so should be ok,

Cheers Andy
snow conditions
serious question, but unless your doing multi hour slogs up hill, why do people feel energy supplements are needed when skiing?
snow conditions
I make my own energy drinks - you can buy a box of glucose from Boots which will last quite a long time mix it with fruit cordial and a pich of salt. A lot cheaper than buying tubs of Isostar powder. I used to do this in my bike racing days. Another simple tip I got from a Mountain guide to stop the tube freezing is to simply blow back down the tube once you have finished drinking - it does work, I have a fully insulated tube and bladder and that did use to freeze up on particularly cold days - below minus 10c.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
serious question, but unless your doing multi hour slogs up hill, why do people feel energy supplements are needed when skiing?

I don't know either. When he said in the OP that he "dont really want just water" my first assumption was that it was because of taste.

It was only afterwards I realised he was thinking of taking an "energy" drink.

It's always plain water in mine.
ski holidays
I use SIS when cycling/running but don't use it very often. Nuun is good and tastes nice if all you are wanting is to avoid dehydration, especially good if you have a bit of a hangover!

I've never put any of this stuff in a bladder though and just use a normal bottle. I just stick to water skiing.

You could stick to water and just carry a few energy gels.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

A few years ago I would have agreed - but if I am doing a fair bit of powder/off-piste/bumps I do find that hydration and food intake does have an effect on my performance and fatigue levels. Having said which - for me it is Water in the Camelback, and Twix bars for energy,
ski holidays
I go for water or Oasis (pomme cassis). Anything that is not water goes in a bottle and not the bladder as I know myself well enough to know that the chances of me forgetting to clean bladder at some point is not unprobable.
snow conditions
To minimize cleaning needed daily, you can also leave your bladder outside (if it's pratical) at night. That should discourage growth quite well. Thaw it out insdie once you get up in the morning.

Depends on the temperature, even the sleeve may not prevent freezing. Same with the bladder. On really cold days, I wear my Camelpack INSIDE my jacket.
ski holidays
Hopefully with your dakine bag you got a Hydrapak which is so much easier to clean than a camelbak as you can turn the blader inside out. Once I got one of these and saw the difference I sold all camelbak stuff and switched to Hydrapak.
latest report
snowrider, da kine bite valve sucks though... and freezes more easily than the CB one - I have both.
snow report
snowrider, stoatsbrother, cheers for that bit of info, just baught a Dakine Heli Pro DLX 20l this afternoon but no bladder yet. Is the CB really such a pain to clean or is it not too bad?
snow conditions
Again - just rinse with the stuff they use to clean babies bottles... shifts all the gunge and is safe.
latest report
Latooijboy, not a huge problem if you just use water in it. You can get cheapo cleaning brush kits. I MTB a bit and use one a couple of times a week.
snow conditions
Camelbak is a pain to clean if you use sticky juice. Dead easy with the latest Hydrapak. Hydrapak valve easier to clean too as can be disassembled.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange squash, lemon squash. Supermarket own brand is cheaper. It's really no different to "energy" drinks. Add a pinch of salt if you fancy, and extra sugar if you really fancy it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy