Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which driving route from Eurotunnel to Skiwelt?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having had a quick look on google maps, there is a choice of two routes from Calais to Ellmau/ Going (Skiwelt). One goes via Reims, Metz to Karlsruhe, the other one goes via Brussels, Koln to Karlsruhe and then the rest is fairly straight forward. The timings given for both are the same, so my question is which way IS best in your experiences?

We will be arriving on the french side of the Eurotunnel at 23:00 on 18th December and am to be in resort for a late breakfast/ early lunch if possible.

Thanks in advance for you help Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've done both Brussels-Koln-Frankfurt-Nurnburg-Munchen and Reims-Karlsruhe-Munchen.
Theres a 3rd route - Lille, Mons, Namur, Luxembourg, Saarlouis, Pirmasens, Karlsruhe, Munchen. No tolls and cheaper gas in Lux, but single c'way around Permasens.
Overnight, the Brussels route might be quickest/cheapest (there are tolls in France and speedlimits) and personally this is the route I'd choose, cos it worked ok for us, but thats my preference and I dont think theres a definitive answer. I think it comes down to weather and traffic on the day. Traffic can sometimes be bad south of Munchen down to Kufstein, but depends on number of locals going down to the mountains - come off the motorway one junction before and you dont need a vignette.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avago, I'll be just a couple of hours ahead of you going to the same area. My plan is to stop though at a Brussels Airport hotel and then saunter down on Saturday to arrive in time for dinner. As you can gather, I go Calais / Ostend / Brussels / Liege / Aachen / Cologn / Frankfurt / Wurzburg / Nurnberg / Munich / Kufstein... it is slightly longer than some of the fiddly routes but it is simple and all motorway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeh, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that a lot of it is down to preference but as we haven't done this route before, I thought I would ask the ever reliable snowHead 's for input, just incase there was some hidden problems ie like roads that are a real nightmare or closed during certain times. Smile

I would prefer to avoid France as we got caught by Gendarmerie in March and narrowly avoided 750E fine!! Shocked

Bode Swiller, Like the sound of your route Smile Just entered it into SatNav and it appears to take the same amount of time as the other routes suggested. Obviously we cannot account for traffic build up or poor weather this far out etc. but that goes for any journey! Where abouts are you staying?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are doing this trip in Jan so I would appreciate your feedback when you have completed the trip.

"Theres a 3rd route - Lille, Mons, Namur, Luxembourg, Saarlouis, Pirmasens, Karlsruhe, Munchen. No tolls and cheaper gas in Lux, but single c'way around Permasens."

In the summer We done this route in reverse in my vw camper van at 55 mph max! (stopping along the way a few times so dont know how long it will take at a good pace) but then diverted from luxembourg to Brussels instead of going to calais. I seem to remember a stretch of road about 20 miles long before we got to the last stretch of motorway before Luxembourg that was single carrige way and also through a hilly area so it might attact snow. It was more likely that its the stretch around Permasens as mentioned above.

I can confirm that Fuel is a lot cheaper in Luxmbourg than in Germany and France, It is also a bit cheaper in Austria than Germany so a good idea to fill up there before your return journey
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No probs Avago - I think Bode and I have the same preferred route - it really is dead easy to follow, but it does get a bit boring..................... We're in Ellmau in Feb, but we're flying to Salzburg this time and hiring a car. Safe driving
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr, I'll let you know how we get on. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we are doing the same journey jan 2017 can any body give me an idea on toll charges.any advice much appreciated
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@leferret, we can update you closer to the time if you remember to ask. There will be a lot of improvements on the routes made since the original suggestions (2009) as well as changes to border controls. For example yesterday and this weekend will be hell on wheels going around Brussels because of the heightened security controls.
I live about 30 minutes from the SkiWelt resorts of Sceffau, Ellmau and Söll, and there are several of us who use different routes on a regular basis between Austria and the Channel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're doing Calais to near Memmingen next Friday and were planning to go Lille, Namur, Lux, Pirmasens and Karlsruhe. Would we be better going through France atm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mikeh, depends on the day. That's my route back next sat/sun but if sat nav says France is better then I'll do that, as I did yesterday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mikeh, security levels in that neck of the woods is mega high right now both terms if entering/leaving France/Belgium as well as entering Germany, so be prepared for delays following the Easter break
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy