Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage Allowance - with boots?

Poster: A snowHead
as I'm flying with Easyjet in January, my checked-in baggage allowance is 20kg.
I am planning to put my boots in my suitcase to avoid the potential problems with putting them in hand luggage, but wondered if anyone else has suffered with going over the 20kg allowance by doing this?
Im a little conscious of the fact that ski boots weigh a fair bit!

any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always have my boots in my check-in luggage and it's never over 20kg. But then I don't know what else you pack in your bag. Pack it all up and weigh it, then you'll know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always pack my boots in my main bag and have never been over 20kg. Maybe it's because I'm a scruff who doesn't take enough clean clothes with me!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As with the previous two posters. I always pack my boots in the main case, and have never gone over the 20Kg, although I have usually been within a Kg or so.

Pack the case, stand on the bathroom scales without it, then with it, and you will know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hand held digital scales are great christmas prezzies wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
aldoyle, it depends on the mood of the individual check-in agent. They tend to be more picky on your way out than on your way home from what I have seen. With Ryanair's generous 15kg, and boots being forbidden in handluggage through Grenoble, they seemed to be letting anything up to 16kg through without question on our way home last year. If you're concerned pack a few heavier things like books & indoor shoes in your hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots in Hold Luggage you can do easily under 20kg.

The key if you want to take a lot is to buy a lightweight Case & on day of travel wear all your heaviest items i.e your ski gear !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like the other posters, I carry my boots in my hold luggage - as stanton points out, make sure you have a suitable bag/case. With a avalanche gear and othee kit/clothing, I am pretty close to the limit, which is why I don't fly Ryanair. Weigh before you go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aldoyle, I always pack my boots, what airport are you going to, if its Grenoble you won't be allowed to have your boots in your hand luggage, and its the same at some other airports
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aldoyle, are you taking skis?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, not taking skis, nope

I'm going to buy a rucksack type bag for handluggage. Anyone any recommendations on those?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aldoyle, you're having us on now, right? You've been skiing for 20 years and you want recommendations for a carry-on rucksack? Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had my boots and my helmet in my suitcase and it to 19.2 kg (oddly enough the same suitcase weighed 17.3 on way back and I didn't forget anything...), I had some shoes and salopettes, gloves, camera etc. in my hand luggage and some other stuff including hair dryer in my ski bag which came out at approx 10.3 (easyjet allowance for skis is 12).

I agree with previous posters 20kg is not a problem. And I bought stuff like shower gel, shampoo, sun screen etc. in Boots after going to security to circumvent the fluid rules in hand luggage and not getting that stuff to add to my luggage weight allowance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do you have to check your boots into your hold luggage? Does this depend on the airport?

I'd rather not if I can get away with it. 20kgs is barely enough for me as it is.
snow report
v1cky24 wrote:
Do you have to check your boots into your hold luggage? Does this depend on the airport?

It depends on both airport and airline.

And changes from season to season.

Some airports say it is up to the airline, others ban them regardless of what the airline would say - Grenoble being the best known example. Last year Bristol banned them, but I believe that has changed this year.

But the bottom line is that you need to ask both your airline and both airports if you want to be sure - and print off your responses to take with you in case of some jobsworth on security.
latest report
Bah.. thanks for the info.

I hadn't even thought about checking them in the hold Sad
ski holidays
I've just run a test pack in our holdall. My boots 2 jackets pants fleeces 2 sets of base layer enough socks to keep Eskimo's happy for a year, the same for my wife and six year old came in at 'bout 18kgs. then another case for all our other stuff, my ski bag.
You know what, I think it might be easier to drive!!!!
snow report
cathy, yeah Smile I've never used a rucksack before (as I've never needed to take hand luggage).... I always use a suitcase type bag for handluggage for my business flights, but dont want to use it as well as a full size suitcase...
snow report
aldoyle, back pack thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58085#1392207
snow conditions
are you taking a helmet ?
snow report
Smokin Joe, I don't think I will be. I'm yet to be converted, although I will certainly use one off piste / on the park, however most of the skiing will be on piste in Jan having a beginner / intermediate with me.
latest report
I put my boots in the hold luggage and then take my boot bag filled up with all the heavy items, no problem for two weeks gear.
ski holidays
My holdall weighed 11.6kg last year. Ski boots were in a separate bag weighing 5.8kg. So under 20kg should be easy enough, but my holdall is very lightweight, a heavy case would probably weigh a few kg when it's empty!
snow report
riverman, Why take a boot bag if your boots are in hold luggage?
latest report
Depending on your accommodation, squishy style bags can be better than rigid suitcases. Some people travel with those absurd great cases you could live out of for a year - and I've been in alpine bedrooms where there just isn't anywhere to stow them. A bag you can stuff under a bed is easier.
snow report
I've just read that Monarch's luggage allowance of 20Kg INCLUDES a hand luggage allowance of 5Kg. This is bad news as I had been hoping to put all my heavy gear into a cabin bag, and have a 20Kg holdall.

Can anyone tell me if one must now place hand luggage on the scales when checking in? Or is that only if one's main luggage is close to 20Kg?

Has anyone else discovered that hand luggage is no longer 'free weight'?

I think I'm going to have to fill my ski jacket's pockets with all my heavy items like transformers, etc. And wear 'cargo trousers' with all the pockets full.
latest report
crosbie, all these rules depend on the carrier, the airport and the side of bed their respective representatives got out of. If you'll excuse the pun, it's all got quite out of hand. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:

'cargo trousers' with all the pockets full

Don't forget, you'll have to empty them to go through the x-ray machine/scanner.
latest report
Hurtle, yes but, no but, the fear is that if the check-in clerk says "Computer says no...." I suddenly have to reduce my 20+5Kg baggage into 15+5Kg.

5Kg is quite a bit to wear, squirrel away in coat pockets, or cough up £60 for (@ £12/Kg).

There's not much point in hand luggage if it's included in the weight allowance. I guess they've realised they have to do this so that people are more inspired to purchase duty free booze (for which there is no doubt no weight limit).
snow conditions
alex_heney, well i need to take hand luggage and my boot bag is about the right size and easy to carry. Also it gets security excited and disappointed when they find no boots in the bag.
ski holidays
DaddyLouLou, not a problem. With 3 hour check-in times, there's plenty of time to unload and load.
latest report
crosbie, these things you say are true, o sage. And the duty free scam also justifies a large whisky bottle not being classed as an offensive weapon (so long as it's bought in duty free). All extremely irritating.
ski holidays
People say these things are dependent on the airline and TO, but it's not helpful when the airline refers chartered travellers to the TO, and the TO's luggage FAQ keeps on referring punters to dead-end links for further information, i.e. the critical info. Mad

I notice ski boots also come out of your 20Kg limit along with hand/cabin baggage. The £18 ski pack charge just entitles you to take an extra boot bag, but doesn't give you any extra weight allowance for it (except for 1 board or pair of skis+poles).

Indeed, on scheduled flights the skis also come out of the 20Kg. Yikes. Glad I'm not scheduled.
snow conditions
aldoyle, like the others, we have managed on 15kg and 20kg allowances with boots in hold luggage for a while now. Just nice to not have another bl00dy bag to pfaff on with TBH. Stuff smalls and socks inside them - no problem.

As for hand luggage - just got a 15litre ish rucksack.
ski holidays
aldoyle, No , always managed to be within 20kg (well on or two kg over but never been done for xs)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy