Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice sought for ski holiday Feb 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
1st post here....

Just new a bit of advice/recommendations from experienced skiers....

Basically me and OH went to Flaine this March and really enjoyed our time. We were part of a large group and not involved in the booking process, therefore no knowledge of websites/what to book/etc. We are still beginners and do want to improve.

What do you guys recommend in terms of websites/what to book???? We don't mind going to Flaine again as it is perfect for beginners and very convenient.

I have checked sites like crystalsky, inghams, nielson, etc - but they seem overpriced when booking the extras, i.e., equip. hire, lift pass, lessons...

Is it better if I just book just flights+accomodations with these guys and source myself lessons/equip.hire/lift pass???

I've also read that it is advisable to wait till New Year to check/book as price "seem" to have already been cut, etc

Any comments/reccomendations are much appreciated.

Depart: London any
Period: 1 week - any in February 2010
Destination: any for beginners (lessons a must)
Board: preferably full
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redbaron51, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You probably won't find that booking ski lessons and lift passes etc is any cheaper doing it yourself - the current weakness of the pound against the euro is making things very expensive. You can easily check the prices on the flaine website - and book it all online if it's cheaper. If you book yourself, don't forget there's is a choice of ski school. I've seen several instructors from this independent school http://www.skiflainemoniteurs.com/ over in Les Saisies, where we ski - they bring their pupils over from Flaine sometimes, for a change. I've seen them in action with English clients and I get the impression they're very good (even if the colour of their jackets is truly horrible... Small groups - which makes a big difference. they will probably be more expensive than ESF but if you want to progress quickly, spending on lessons is well worth while.

When in February are you thinking of going. All except the first week is peak French school holiday times - and Flaine gets pretty busy. If you can't do the first week in February it might be nicer to wait until the second week of March, and quieter pistes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads - I would have suggested you were looking in the right places if it's your first time. There's talk of more over-capacity so if you're only going as a couple I'd leave it till after xmas and see if the tour operators start lowering prices. If you're happy booking late and being flexible with places there's probably some cracking deals around if you book on Monday to fly the following weekend - the likes of ifoyuski.com and igluski do a good job of advertising these deals

Oh and if you're going to France, try and go the 1st week of the month, definitely DONOT go from 14th Feb as that's english 1/2 term week and is the busiest most/overpriced week in all French resorts. Personally I'd look for mid-late Jan and March 7th onwards (upto easter) as that avoids the peak weeks when the Frenchies are on holiday, and again will help to keep prices down, lift lines lower and less queuine for an apres beer.

Enjoy the trip
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally, I would take a note of the tour operators price for lessons, ski hire and lift passes, then do a bit of searching on google to see if I can beat any of them snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi redbaron51, and a warm welcome to SH I'd check for deals that include liftpasses/lessons as part of a package and also consider booking everything separately, flying with a "budget" airline. Depending on your level and the resort, some places have different lift passes covering a greater or lesser part of the area - you might save by buying a more restricted one.

If you might consider March, there is a trip that would suit your level that will be good value and have great instruction in small groups (max 4).

I am sure you will get a whole host of replies on this!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
redbaron51, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Check out http://www.bookableski.co.uk/ they seem to have some good deals for Flaine, but they lift pass eqp hire etc is probably not to bad from Crystal etc, if you do some searching online you may save a little bit but I wouldn't of thought you'd save a massive amount.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hiya, ive booked with www.fasttrackski.co.uk this year (Avoriaz resort). they were cheapest. previous year was www.directski.co.uk (mottaret 3 valleys) they are also cheap. i dont think you will save much on passes. skirepublic do a 2for 1 offer which worked out cheapest last year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First Choice (part of Thompson) mailed me last week to say they have taken £100 off everything. I have used them for the past two years and they have been good, with good prices.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

Thanks for all posts they are really helpful especially for a noob like me.

@ Butterfly: I quite like the idea of this trip. Will check this thread out carefully.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
redbaron51 Top - Tip
Following on from EasyJet's closure of it's East Midlands base the availability of low cost flights = none (at what you would call a cheap price, on the dates that most people will want to travel). Don't even think about it.

Best bet would be to try a tour operator and ask what they have. But do it now. Not a plug to book with us BTW, we're full.

This forum is full of people who will tell you to wait until the last minute. Don't listen as this way lay's madness and desperate scrabbling around for the last few rooms and flights.

I'm not saying there ain't the odd trip that comes up at a ridicules price and this will be chatted about ad-infinitum in forums like this, but these are few and far between, contrary to popular (loudly voiced) opinion. If you want to go on a skiing holiday, then book one, as soon as you can.

The general rule of thumb is that the sooner your book, the more choice you have and the lower the cost. This is as true now as it's always been.

Oh, and it's almost always cheaper to book your holiday through a tour operator than it's is to try and book all the constituent parts yourself wink Shocked wink Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

This forum is full of people who will tell you to wait until the last minute. Don't listen as this way lay's madness and desperate scrabbling around for the last few rooms and flights.

I'm not saying there ain't the odd trip that comes up at a ridicules price and this will be chatted about ad-infinitum in forums like this, but these are few and far between, contrary to popular (loudly voiced) opinion. If you want to go on a skiing holiday, then book one, as soon as you can.

The general rule of thumb is that the sooner your book, the more choice you have and the lower the cost. This is as true now as it's always been.

Oh, and it's almost always cheaper to book your holiday through a tour operator than it's is to try and book all the constituent parts yourself

This is frankly drivel, it may not be simple that booking with a tour operator is invariably more expensive it depends on circumstances but it certainly is the case that DIY can be cheaper and often considerably so. There are frequent last minute significant discounts in low season weeks these are not few and far between but commonplace. They can certainly be more difficult to find high season though people do seem to find them.
Perhaps the reason why the forum is full of people suggesting booking late is because it works for them. It certainly can ensure you miss the worst of the snow.

PS
'Following on from EasyJet's closure of it's East Midlands base the availability of low cost flights = none (at what you would call a cheap price, on the dates that most people will want to travel). Don't even think about it. '

Ive just looked at easyjet flights from London where the OP is from for the last week of Feb (sat-sat) and the flights appear great value to me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Oh, and it's almost always cheaper to book your holiday through a tour operator than it's is to try and book all the constituent parts yourself

Sorry I'd have to disagree when it comes to skiing. This year I am taking wife and three kids to Les Gets over the dreaded February half term.
We booked an independent chalet and are driving. All in (hire, lift pases & lessons) comes to £3000. The cheapest I could find via a tour operator was around £4500.

I would agree with you about more choice when booking early, but I'd say only for peak periods. We booked the chalet back in May.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sbirring wrote:
Quote:

Sorry I'd have to disagree when it comes to skiing. This year I am taking wife and three kids to Les Gets over the dreaded February half term.
We booked an independent chalet and are driving. All in (hire, lift pases & lessons) comes to £3000. The cheapest I could find via a tour operator was around £4500.

Was that self drive with the TO? Otherwise, you are not comparing like with like.

Although I would agree with you that whether it is likely to be cheaper via a TO does depend a lot on numbers/time of season. For a family of 4-5, who are prepared to drive, DIY will more often work out cheaper, particularly at peak season.

For a solo who wants to fly and who goes in low season, the TO is always (IME) cheaper.

And there is a huge range in between those two extremes, where sometimes the TO will be cheaper, ans sometimes not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I normally agree with a lot that Wayne, says, but this time T Bar, is correct. If you are not particulary fussed where you go and there are only a couple of you, last minute can be a great way of doing it.

Last year we did 2 last minute holidays in a chalet. Not including flights and transfers which we booked with Ryanair a long time in advance and got cheap flights, we had fantastic chalets in Meribel and Les Menuires for €210 and €240 fantastic value.

So if there are many of you book with Wayne, or some other TO to guarantee places if there are only two of you and you are not travelling at high peak times leave it to the last minute every time. BTW as pam w, said if you go first week in March you will miss out on the French half term holidays dont go at the end as this is peak season!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

said if you go first week in March you will miss out on the French half term holidays dont go at the end as this is peak season!

no - month confusion - the first week in march is still French holidays - so go either the first week of Feb or the second week of March. If you decide on your week you could book flights now - there are flights available without paying an arm and a leg, and you can book accommodation later. At the very least there will be heaps and heaps of apartments available, and you can eat out in your choice of restaurants.
snow report
Welcome redbaron51, I'd think about booking through a TO as nearly beginners but try a different resort / country. We went to the same place three times as beginners and now I wish I'd started trying other places sooner.

It's true that you won't need the full 3Valleys 600km pass but you could try exploring another resort. Lots of places have some great beginners slopes. Nip in to your local travel agent and pick up some brochures to thumb through then try to get a better deal on-line, then don't be afraid to call back the original and ask them to match the internet price... Blush

We've had some great snow going the last week of Jan, which usually counts as low season but this year starts 30 Jan. Smile

Also have a look at http://www.rocketski.com/ and http://www.miquelhols.co.uk/, some great value holidays in some excellent but quiter resorts. Also look at http://www.silverski.co.uk/
snowHead
latest report
Puzzled
Forgot to say, also have a look at Balkan for Bulgaria... Free lift passes and learn to ski for beginners in some resorts.... Not exactly Flaine and the food and accommodation can be a bit dodgy, but who cares when you're skiing all day.... Take a star and half off their guides and you'll get the idea. Also some good hotels quite cheap compared to France and the Bulgarian snow is just as slippy.

But I wouldn't go to Chamonix until you've got at least three weeks under your skis.. wink
snow conditions
Please would everyone stop recommending waiting for last minute deals? If everyone starts doing this it'll be harder for me to find any! Toofy Grin
snow report
Jumper, I'm sure youll manage. And you dont need the money! With the amount of southern registered cars gone up for the shopping you guys must be awash with the moolah!
ski holidays
wink wink wink

ski holidays
Wayne,
Fair enough. Very Happy

As a matter of interest are you confident enough in your products ability to sell that you will give a guarantee to anyone booking in advance that if any other holiday that you sell is reduced in proce you will give anyone booking early an identical reduction?
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Wayne,
Fair enough. Very Happy

As a matter of interest are you confident enough in your products ability to sell that you will give a guarantee to anyone booking in advance that if any other holiday that you sell is reduced in proce you will give anyone booking early an identical reduction?

ha ha ha dead easy - yes

The reason being that I only book whole hotels so our price can never be matchd for that hotel.
And I have never reduced a holiday in my life.
Why ? Simple. It would REALLY P***off the people who had booked at full price and as these will always be the majority, it’s just bad business (IMO). So basically we set a price and everyone pays that. I know that some TO's will be able to offer cheaper prices as they own their own planes, coaches, etc. But I really do think that we offer a good package (but I'm bound to say that ain't I ?). And, as I'm working at the ski school in resort when the client arrive they can tell me (and I want to hear) if we don't.
Oh and this ain't an advert as we're fully booked for 2010

But - getting back to the oringinal post - I still that TO's can run a holiday better than DIY - I know, I know, I know we have been here before. Little Angel (as the people who booked EZY from East Midlands are finding out)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy