Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dec 18-21, where to go and stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A group of about 8 of us have booked flights to Geneva on Fri 18 Dec, coming back Mon 21st. All we need now is to decide which resort to head to, and then to find accommodation. So where has the best snow at the minute with a good forecast for the next couple of weeks and is close-ish to Geneva, and who has somewhere to stay in this wonderful place?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speak to the guys at Mountain Sun, good bunch & they'll pick you up from Geneva, chalet in Tignes Le Lac is the handiest
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jumper, the weather forecasts are all over the place at the moment - with quite a lot of precipitation early next week, but mostly rain rather than snow at resort level in the lower areas. But then it might get quite cold - it's all rather uncertain. Personally I think Cptsideways, suggestion is a good one - if Mountain Sun have any availability. Recent reports from Tignes suggest that the conditions there are excellent. For non-standard periods, especially cutting into the Christmas week, you might do best to focus on a search for suitable accommodation first, rather than narrowing down the choice of resorts too much. Tignes is not very close to Geneva, but if you can get picked up and whisked straight there, what could be better? Otherwise I suppose you'd hire a car to make the best of your short time. If you want to be much closer to Geneva Avoriaz might be a good bet though at resort level there's a lot of rain forecast for Avoriaz early next week. With weather prospects so uncertain, Tignes (which looks like getting snow, rather than rain this week) might get a lot of last minute bookings, so don't leave it too long.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great, thanks for the info. My computer's been down for the last 10 days so I've totally lost touch with the weather in the alps!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to Mountain Sun's website their Tignes Chalet is full that week! I'll ask them anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jumper, you could try La Rosiere, there's good snow at the moment and the resort doesn't open until the 12th Dec. My son has availability in one of his chalets for the period you want. You can find the details on www.morealps.com where you'll also find lots of information about the resort and the skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David. I've e-mailed them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A wee bump - Does anyone else have any ideas? So far Mountain Sun and Morealps are both full, though Morealps might be able to find us something.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jumper, it's always difficult booking odd periods like that, especially at a peak holiday week - because people with vacancies will try to get rentals for the whole week. You'll presumably be hiring cars? One possibility might be to stay in a hotel in the valley - somewhere like Sallanches http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0639-ibis-sallanches-porte-du-mont-blanc/index.shtml

there are a number of good places within an easy drive - e.g Chamonix, Les Contamines, Megeve/Combloux, Flaine

Presumably you'll be travelling on 18th, starting to ski on 19th - which is the main opening day for some of those resorts (snow permitting - fingers crossed.....)

You could also try telephoning the tourist office in, say, Avoriaz and see whether they can offer you any self catering accommodation. They should very quickly be able to tell you what's available - no good looking at their website, which assumes everyone is looking for Sat/Sat booking.

Swiss places may be more flexible - and at the last minute it might be easier to find people desperate to let places or rooms even for 3 nights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Thanks. I thought it would be easier to find somewhere for 3 nights at this time of year. Yet again, I'm wrong! Embarassed

I hadn't thought about hiring cars. I had planned on organising transfers, but it looks like cars might be cheaper.

What about somewhere in Switzerland? Travel by train is the easiest way to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What about somewhere in Switzerland? Travel by train is the easiest way to go.

yes, train would be good, if you can find somewhere in Switzerland where you can get accommodation for those days. No room at the inn - you're not the first to have had that problem at Christmas. wink But I can't help with Swiss suggestions, I'm afraid. If I were you I think I'd be getting on the phone.....

With 8 of you, and just a few days, 2 cars probably would be cheaper than a taxi transfer - and would give you heaps more flexibility if snow conditions are not great.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The group has now grown to 9, with another possible. I'd better get something booked before even more join in!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy