Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - what do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
Was looking at helmets the other day and thinking of buying one.

I don't see that many people wearing them and, indeed, I see more people not wearing helmets than wearing them.

What do you think of helmets?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOL, this is a dangerous little thread! You might end up needing a helmet just to read it! Laughing

Personally, I choose not to wear a helmet. I ski only on piste, reasonably slowly and never during peak weeks. I don't fall over very often (current rate is once in three weeks) and I've never landed on anything other than my butt. As far as risks go, it's one I consider to be very slight.

I totally understand why some people would choose to wear a helmet, but I choose not to. Life is full of risks and it's up to the individual how they deal with the risks associated with their lives. However, I do find it ironic that some people wear helmets when skiing, yet choose to pollute their lungs with cigarette smoke!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mmm what flavour popcorn today.
salted I think.
<munches>

Tux
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, i think the bigger question is can you take it on baord as hand luggage and what happened with your other half when you went awol for a month ????

Its not a fashion accessory - its for safety rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, You are a little tease aren't you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
helmets are for parks + (some)people who started skiing in the last 5-10 years
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For all the interests that I have and am a member of a forum for, there's a different subject that comes up regularly that involves a large can of worms and a lot of popcorn.

For cycling it's equipment... Shimano V Campagnolo. (Surprisingly not helmets but then cyclist have been using them longer and the debate has died down now)

For kit cars it's engines... Car engine V Bike engine.

I guess this is the one for skiing Puzzled

adrian

ps. I don't have one but am thinking about it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Normally I wouldn't go anywhere near this thread wink , but I'll chuck in a quick comment as I happen to have just finished putting away my kit from a quick outing last weekend...

While I was away, I had a very low speed fall right on the edge of a piste (ok, I was off-piste at the time, but only by 2 feet!). My tip caught in a crusty rut, I went straight over the handlebars, and my other ski followed me over and cracked me on the back of the head. Nothing serious - I had a bit of a headache, but the helmet took the brunt. It was only 10 mins ago when I came to put the helmet away that I noticed the crack in the shell and depression in the polystyrene padding Shocked

I think I'd have probably been ok without the helmet (but then I'm not a doctor, so who knows), but I'm pretty sure it would've hurt like hell. One of my general aims in life is to avoid things that hurt a lot. So I'll carry on wearing my helmet snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ChrisWo wrote:
My tip caught in a crusty rut, I went straight over the handlebars

Out of context and on a mountain bike forum that statement would be priceless!

... need more popcorn

Tux
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tuxpoo, priceless Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970,

My [last] tuppence worth on the subject.

I don't like popcorn.

Helmets are inherently dangerous...... create far too may boring threads on forums such as this.
Try searching.... you'll find plenty....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surely the wearing of a helmet should be personal choice.

i bought a helmet at the end of last season so have only worn it a few times (yes it has a visor, next!!) and it was fine after ages just with a hat.
only problem was my earphones kept falling out..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

mugen, you should have bought one wired for sound. Like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRO-Bad-Lieutenant-Snowboard-Ski-Helmet-TUNE-UPS-AUDIO_W0QQitemZ280429679183QQcategoryZ36260QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

mugen, you should have bought one wired for sound. Like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRO-Bad-Lieutenant-Snowboard-Ski-Helmet-TUNE-UPS-AUDIO_W0QQitemZ280429679183QQcategoryZ36260QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

solved it by buying plugs that actually fitted my ear rather than using the standard iphone ones
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970 wrote:

No idea, prefer a bit of muff myself Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
jb1970, I have one, along with body armour, but don't usually wear either unless racing. However, last week I was hit from above 3 times in 2 days. The last one could have been a life changing collision (a GS racer on a warm up run while I was almost stationary) so for the rest of the week I wore both.

But I'll probably revert to type next time out.
snow report
thefatcontroller, oooh missus!

It's important to get a good fitting one - you don't want a wobbly helmet. I have a helmet and I clean and polish it after every sliding session wink
ski holidays
jb1970, you naughty little troll... snowHead

I wear one - have done for about 7 years now.

thefatcontroller, Laughing Laughing Laughing (although in these days of massed waxing - do young people still call them that?)
snow report
jb1970 wrote:

I think you need to use the search option and allocate a long weekend to reading the answers.
snow conditions
I wear one, and have for 5 years now. Not because I might crash, but because stupid idiots who think they are gods gift cos they can go fast (but cant stop of steer) ram me accasionally from behind. Also it keeps my head cool (I can feel the air being blown through it (Giro G10), or warm if I close the vents, and it makes my goggles far more comfortable by taking the strap off my head (I wear glasses)

Can I start a flame war by stating many of the morons are wearing blades!!!

Last year the same french woman wiped me out twice on one run, which was well beyond her skill level, she would push off, blast 200m till she hit someone, then repeat. I made the mistake of skiing off first after the first time she rammed me!!!

This is probably why so many folks skiing lean forward with the sticks stuck up in the air behind them. They are not trying to do a bad tuck, they are warding off folks from above. Mind you they are often the one out of control
snow report
The greatest advantage of wearing a helmet in bad weather is to stop your goggles steaming up after you put them up on your head in a gondola.

No-one is too good a skier not to need a helmet. Anyone can fall and hot their head but worse than that every year in the Alps, in resorts I've worked in, deaths are caused by collisions where there is a clash of heads.

Someone has got to say it. It's time to make them compulsory Twisted Evil

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 5-12-09 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FWIW I've bought one, and will be using for the first time in a few weeks.

Main reason for getting it, 5yo daughter will be skiing for the first time, and will have to wear one. I didn't want to have to answer the question as to why I don't wear one.
snow conditions
DaddyLouLou, very good reason and don't worry it's getting to the point that those who don't have them that look out of place.
ski holidays
gravystuffing, when did you start skiing??
I have to disagree with your last comment
Quote:

it's getting to the point that those who don't have them that look out of place
latest report
thefatcontroller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Blimey, now they want to put cameras on them Shocked

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57958
ski holidays
I want to know if you can fit a helmet with snowchains?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood, No, but you can fit snowchains with a helmet.
snow conditions
aldoyle, I think the tipping point came after the Natasha Richardson incident last year. At Hintertux a couple of weeks ago I saw very few without helmets on and in a sports shop in a supermarket type mall in Worgl I couldn't believe how much shelf space had been allocated for helmets. More helmets than you could shake a snow chain at Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

No, but you can fit snowchains with a helmet

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
In all seriousness its whats others can do to me that makes me wear a lid, well that and the fact that the kids would quite rightly say.....if you are not wearing one why should I.

Even the best skiier gets wiped out by the "snowplough of death" ramming them from behind.
snow report
This is unreal. bar shaker made a very good point, so I shall highlight it! Toofy Grin

Quote:
I think you need to use the search option and allocate a long weekend to reading the answers.
snow report
Quote:

I wear one - have done for about 7 years now.

That must alarm your patients, stoatsbrother Laughing Laughing
snow report
In Austria it is law (which is also quoted by the AA and the Michelin restaurant guide) that snow chains must be carried in the helmet if the piste has a blue sign.
It is not, however, a legal requirement to carry helmet-chains at all times... only on designated routes. It is law to ensure that from November to May you have helmet treaded tyres carrying the H & S or the little (^) sign.
snow conditions
aldoyle, I have skied for 25 years - spend a fair amount of time in the trees and on steeps... I wear a lid.

I think asking people when they started skiing is irrelevant

and
Quote:

is rather a silly thing to say.

And yes - if you were skiing in the US or Canada without a lid you probably would feel a bit out of place, but that too would be a silly reason to wear one.
ski holidays
jb1970 wrote:
I don't see that many people wearing them and, indeed, I see more people not wearing helmets than wearing them.

Basing a decision on what other people do is so teenage! rolling eyes

I'd say go ahead and get one. As others follow in a few years time, you'll be able to say you were the one who had better fashion sense early on... Cool

As for the protection bit, it's pretty evident you don't need it on your head. What's in there you've got that's worth protecting? Skullie
ski holidays

Oh dear.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I think asking people when they started skiing is irrelevant

and Quote:

is rather a silly thing to say.

I speak purely out of observation of the last 20 years and how skiing / the people who have come into skiing have changed

Quote:

I have skied for 25 years - spend a fair amount of time in the trees and on steeps... I wear a lid.

I'd suggest your an exception, rather than the 'rule' (as quoted from 'He's just not that in to you')
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

Oh dear.
I just fell off my chair laughing. That video is truly brilliant! Thanks for making my day. Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy