Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another newbie question – goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There are loads to choose from but can I get away with buying just one pair for my first trip. I have seen some Trespass goggles with a blue tint in tkmaxx reduced from £45 to £15. Seems a sensible price.

Should I get any particular colour lens?
Will one pair do?
Do you wear sunnies beneath your goggles and if so does this affect your choice?

Any goggle advice is appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there are loads of goggles threads. People will tell you that you will probably die without Oakley goggles but, having skied for 20 years - and for all the last seven seasons - I've never yet had a pair of goggles costing more than about £35 and they last AGES. No, you don't wear sunnies underneath - though I suppose you could if the tint you had didn't cut out enough sunlight. some people who have to wear specs for vision correction have "Over The Glasses" goggles, but they're not too satisfactory. There are other alternatives for folk (like me) who need glasses - I have special inserts that I plug in to the goggles. The main reason you need goggles is if it's very windy, or cold, or snowing, or foggy (some goggles help a bit with definition on the snow etc etc.). In those conditions they do add a lot to comfort - I generally wear goggles all the time as I wear a helmet and you will discover if you cruise around Snowheads a bit that there are people who reckon that the combination of sunnies and helmet is just the naffest thing in the whole world. Actually, in anything but super warm weather, I find that my eyes water at any kind of speed and goggles stop that completely.

There are essays to be written on this subject. I'd say the most useful goggle lens is probably one of the orangey/brown style, which help improve definition in poor light. If you only have one pair (which should be fine, though you can get fancy expensive ones with interchangeable lenses) blue is probably not the most useful colour.

I see from your other thread that this will be your first holiday - and possibly the last for a bit because of your family plans (though you may be kidding yourself there - skiing can be more than a bit addictive and there are ways of doing it with small children). So don't get too bogged down in worries about equipment and remember that there are shops in the resort if you find you are short of something vital.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you want the for - bad weather, wearing all the time, carrying about in your pocket? I have blue iriduim lenses (I think), wear goggles all the time, and find them fine. Pink lenses are good for flat light conditions, but not so much for sunshine. If you wear a helmet, you need to try your goggles with it before you buy - they don't all fit well with helmets.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bolle Sharksfin googles of ebay, cheap chearful nd reliable and look allright if you are a poseur Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike-H, Either sunnies OR goggles, depending on conditions.

You really need goggles if it is snowing, and if you get a pair that are suitable for the light conditions in snow, they will also be suitable for "flat light" conditions genarally, but probably won't be very good in bright sunshine.

I doubt a blue tinted lens will be good for that though. Yellow or pink are generally better for flat light.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H, throughout my entire ski 'career' I didn't own a pair of goggles until March 2006. I really don't like them but when faced with adverse conditions in Passo Tonale I bought the cheapest smallest pair I could find. Cost €22 and do the trick just fine. They are orange tinted suitable for snow and flat light. However, I'd always rather wear sunnies, so much more comfortable than having a nasty elastic thing round my head.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H, what Lizzard says. Helmet compatability is crucial.

You will need goggles if it is really cold, really windy or really snowing. And if you are wearing a lid and don't want to look sad wink

(and yes I do wear sunnies with a lid sometimes)

If I had to have one colour only I'd go pink or yellow. Flat light (bad weather and the end of the day) is the most critical time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like the blue ones I saw may not be ideal. I think I will take goggles in case i need them. Not bothered about anything flash - cheap and cheerful will do as long as they have protection in them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
These look OK-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bolle-Sharkfin-Skiing-snowboarding-goggles-BNIB_W0QQitemZ220442774253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN?hash=item335369caed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blue is for cloud/fog apparently, other lenses it's about the light transmission as much or more than the colour e.g. you can get pink for low light and for super sunny conditions same with orange. If you were sunglasses normally then you'll only want low light goggles otherwise it's a choice between compromise i.e. an all round pair, two pairs or interchangeable lenses.

Generally cheaper goggles are only for use in poor light although you may be lucky and get an ok do it all pair for £20.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike-H wrote:
These look OK-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bolle-Sharkfin-Skiing-snowboarding-goggles-BNIB_W0QQitemZ220442774253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN?hash=item335369caed

Yup, thats what i wear. Paid the same and had em for three seasons now. Find em comfortable and the lenses seam to give better definition to the piste so i can see the tricky bits.

I have bolle sunglasses as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike-H wrote:
These look OK-

Yup, thats what i wear. Paid the same and had em for three seasons now. Find em comfortable and the lenses seam to give better definition to the piste so i can see the tricky bits.

I have bolle sunglasses as well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy