Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy Pass - can i travel from Tignes to LaPlagne, Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are staying in Tignes from 19th Dec and I see that the weekly Espace Killy lift pass covers 1 day in Les Arcs / La plagne

Q: Is it practical to spend a day in the other resort and, if so is there a quick way of getting there? If anyone has tried it any pointers would be hepful

I am skiing with my 4 teenagers so great to hear the snow is alreday excellent.

Are there any bars restaurants in Tignes that will have anything secial going on for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Any ideas very much welcome

Thanks
NehNeh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought the ski areas were linked, so if you follow certain lifts etc you end up on the VDI side - and if your pass doesn't have Espace Killy but just Tignes you can't get on those lifts.

Of course I don't know for definite, but worth checking out the piste maps.

Out of interest, anyone know anywhere to get cheap Espace Killy passes? We leave next weekend and will need 8-10 6 day passes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nippers, in theory you can ski there on a long off-piste tour, but it is unlikley to be skiable that early in the season. The easiest way would be to catch a bus from Tignes to Bourg St Maurice then take the funicular to Les Arcs. To be honest though, I can't see the point of doing this if you're only in Tignes for a week, unless you have friends in Les Arcs or La Plagne that you really want to meet up with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nippers, I'd agree with rob@rar. The Espace Killy has more than enough skiing for a week - why waste time travelling around on buses when you are in one of the biggest ski domains in the world? Have a great holiday. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, ignore me, I didn't read the question Smile Assumed you were talking about Tignes to the rest of Espace Killy, not La Plagne/Les Arcs.

So, cheap lift pass advice for me who can't read?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you find out the answer of cheap tickets that would be great! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheap lift passes for Espace Killy? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I believe certain T/Os may have negotiated some deals for "quieter weeks". Eg. Buy 2 lift passes, get the second one half price. A saving of about £100. Madeye-Smiley

Pigs do fly!!!

Nippers, There will be plenty going on in Tignes. Your teenagers will probably enjoy the Loop Bar. And the free Wi-Fi in the Alpaka. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to everyone - that was really helpful. We will probably stay in VDI / Tignes then.

Yes, cheap ski passes would be great but apart from the Famille deal, i did not know there were any other deals
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, only deal I can find for a bunch of adults is if they buy the Tignes pass for 10 Euros, and then charge the pass up. It doesn't save much the first time you use it, but a mate who's got one from a previous trip has just saved 5% off his pass and carre-neige. Which is about £10 saving.

Ho hum. At least we're going to get in before the cut-off for early season - high season starts the day we leave!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a bus between Tignes and Les Arcs (Bourg st Maurice and the funicular).

Here's a link for you www.altibus.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you get to Tignes, check out the Mountain Echo for your week (you can pick up free copies in most bars). That will have a list of what's on where.

You can ski (off-piste) to Paradiski from Tignes - ask about the Tarentaise Tour at (for example) Evolution2.

Cheap Espace lift-passes? Only if you have a contract for the season/are a resident.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
When you get to Tignes, check out the Mountain Echo for your week (you can pick up free copies in most bars). That will have a list of what's on where.

You can ski (off-piste) to Paradiski from Tignes - ask about the Tarentaise Tour at (for example) Evolution2.

Cheap Espace lift-passes? Only if you have a contract for the season/are a resident.
Thanks
Iwill try to speak with Evolution 2 as soon as we get there - they were very helpful last time. Smile Madeye-Smiley Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redski3, hello, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Good first post!

Must say, we did have a very good meal in the restaurant on Santons a couple of years ago... but you're right about the walk out down (or mostly across, it seems) into Val - it's a pain on skis as well. Best to eat in the lovely restaurant half-way down the Face instead!

We're in Tignes 12th-19th December, so any EK discussion is very welcome at the moment - it all adds to the excitement! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
redski3, Welcome to snowheads, great 1st post. But I have to quibble with:-

redski3 wrote:
ARE TIGNES/VAL DISERE AND LA PLAGNE/LES ARCS LINKED? Unfortunately not. The only way so get there is by road, which takes about 90 minutes in good weather/traffic (or, I suppose, 15 minutes in a helicopter, if you could afford it!). Some tour operators used to run a bus service for the day, but I haven't seen this for a while.

You must drive super slowly to take 90 minutes for that journey - it's no more than 45 from Tignes down to BSM (Maccy D's roundabout) and no more than 20 up to 1800, although you'll probably park easier/get skis on quicker if you park at the funicular in Bourg and get the train up the hill. Drive from Tignes Les Brevs round to Villaroger and you're probably down to about 20 minutes in the car.
snow report
bertie bassett, I agree with you about the timing of the journey. I regularly drive from Arc 1800 to Tignes and it takes just less than an hour driving at regular speeds. It is possible to ski from Tignes to Les Arcs, along the Tarentaise Tour, but I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

redski3, welcome to snowHeads! Smile
latest report
How long does the funiculaire take between Bourg st. Maurice and Arc 1600?
ski holidays
redski3 wrote:
The Tarentaise Tour rings a bell... Didn't somebody do that for TV? I could never work out how he did it...made no sense to me form the piste maps I had!

I believe you're refering to when Graham Bell raced Top Gear style Ed Leigh from Val d'Isere to Val Thorens.

Leigh took the touring route it crossed the Vanoise national park, it wasn't the Tarentaise tour as it went to Val Thorens not to Champagny (apart of the Paradiski). I believe there is a lot more uphill element to getting to Val Thorens compared to Champagny on skis.

Bell took lifts and skied through Espace Killy, Paradiski and then the Trois Vallees and also caught a lift with some seasonaires between the areas.

I can't remember who won.
ski holidays
redski3 wrote:
...I would crawl across broken glass to get another Bob Sled run at La Plagne (if it's till there). If anybody out there gets the chance DO IT!

Ooh yes, did it a couple of years ago, very good! I expected it to be a bit 'theme-park ride', but it was rather more fun than that Toofy Grin

redski3 wrote:
What's the name of the restaurant half way down The Face?

La Tanière
(I shamelessly stole this from another thread - I couldn't remember either. I do remember the lovely food, though Very Happy )
ski holidays
redski3 wrote:
OK, OK, I agree... 60 minutes by car...

That day trip to La Plagne was a long time ago, on a coach, and I think on a transfer day for most of the TOs. I didn't think of going to BSM and getting the funicular in Bourg - that would be kinda cool!

So I may have exaggerated it slightly (OK, a lot), but if you had a week in Tignes for Christmas, with a full area pass, would you want to head over to La Plagne/Les Arcs for a day? And if you get to Arcs 1800, what's your chance of even getting a glimpse of the best bits of La Plagne and Les Arcs in one day? (1950 has to be seen to be believed - I thought we'd gone to Disney!).

Much as I am a Paradiski fan then no I wouldn't bother leaving tignes/EK for LA/LP If I was only there for a week with a Tour Operator - might perhaps consider a day trip to Ste Foy with a guide if the off-piste is fab, but other than that why ignore the goods that are on your door step.

If you're in Arc 1800 you can do a lap of the main bits of Les Arcs, and probably a trip from the top of the Ag Rouge to Villaroger in around 2hrs 30 minutes, then a nip over the vanoise and up the roche de mio, trip down a couple of the blacks on the way towards Montybear and then skates on to get home. Will you have had a glimpse of a few of the best bits of Paradiski? Yes but you'll be limited to one run down most of the runs you want to ski, and then go elsewhere. Not even coming close to scratching the surface of the resort as a whole - need several seasons to do that.
I'm not sure I'd try it in a peak week however as the timings would just fall apart because of the number of people you have to dodge downhill and then stand behind in lift lines.
latest report
bertie bassett, Unless you have a jet pack on your back and no lift queues anywhere your timing is just not possible even on a very quiet Jan day. Villaroger, all points of les arcs and back to van express in 2hr 30min, even i could not do that. Sorry mate, keep it real. As for getting over to Roche du mio and a couple of blacks towards Montybear in the afternoon and still make the lift home. And they do not know the route. This just could not be done in this time frame. They would end up stuck and having to pay a huge taxi fare back to Les Arcs. Do be careful with your advice.

Nippers, to be honest if you are only in Tignes for a week, you have more than enough even if the conditions are not great to keep you busy without doing the same stuff twice for a week. It is not worth coming to Les Arcs as well unless you do the Off piste tour from Tignes and for that you need really good snow conditions. Maybe in late feb or march.

Have a good holiday.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
bertie bassett, Unless you have a jet pack on your back and no lift queues anywhere your timing is just not possible even on a very quiet Jan day. Villaroger, all points of les arcs and back to van express in 2hr 30min, even i could not do that. Sorry mate, keep it real. As for getting over to Roche du mio and a couple of blacks towards Montybear in the afternoon and still make the lift home. And they do not know the route. This just could not be done in this time frame. They would end up stuck and having to pay a huge taxi fare back to Les Arcs. Do be careful with your advice.

Nippers, to be honest if you are only in Tignes for a week, you have more than enough even if the conditions are not great to keep you busy without doing the same stuff twice for a week. It is not worth coming to Les Arcs as well unless you do the Off piste tour from Tignes and for that you need really good snow conditions. Maybe in late feb or march.

Have a good holiday.

We were doing in January last season.
latest report
Kenzie, If you were doing the route bertie descibed, then sorry but I just do not believe you did this trip in a day. Just the lift times alone would make it impossible. I think I know the paradiski lifts and ski areas well and I could not do it even skiing at my fastest and be safe to other piste users. So, sorry but unless you were skiing extremely dangerously then, this is just not possible. I am always up for a challenge Twisted Evil so PLEASE come back here any time and take me out and prove me wrong skiing safely off course. Until then best not to give this type of advice that could lead to accidents or expensive taxi fares. The Villaroger Challenge is enough and that takes a whole day both ways on it's own done safely.

If you are talking about the Tour from Tignes to Les Arcs then I agree, last winter with all that snow I new a few people that did it in Jan, but in a normal year, doing that trip can be quite rare. We had an amazing amount of snow in Jan last year. I bet it was a good trip and wished I had not hurt my knee or I would have done it as well with my friends.
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments - especially Redski although his post seem to have disappeared .

looks like we will hang around tignes / VDI then and at least we won't waste time next week checking out about going further afield.

Temperature is seriously dropping ut may be less cold by 19th.

We were going to use Ski Republic for hiring which we might still do but we wont be parting with any money in advance in light of their financial problems.

We all cant wait Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
The Tarentaise tour is a very long day (no time for sit-down lunch so take sandwiches). It goes from Tignes, leaving the Grande Motte to your left, to the back of La Plagne (with a small taxi link) then accross the La Plagne area and drop over the back of Bellecote. A very short taxi link to Plan Peisey and accross the Les Arcs skiing area to Villaroger. Taxi home.
It would be shorter, now there is a lift linking La Plagne and Les Arcs skiing, to miss the back of Bellecote - but you would also miss the best skiing. It is worth doing if you like off-piste.
ski holidays
snowcrazy - see snowball's post.
snow report
Kenzie, sorry not sure what you mean. If you mean you did the trip snowball did then that is great, but you should not have highlighted the Les Arcs route mentioned as this made what you did very unclear. If you are saying you did the Les Arcs route then my comment still stands.

snowball, great desciption, I agree greaat trip if snow is good. Also it can be done with other variations to end up in nancoix from la plagne side and bellecote but going the easy off piste roure and through the forest not on the north face. Also can be done by various routes down to Villaroger some very easy others very hard. but with all of these. Take a guide if you fancy doing this trip anyone that is reading this.

snowball have you got any good trips planned for this winter.
latest report
snowcrazy, Yes, the finish of the Tarentaise depends how much time is left at the end (and how well you ski). The Classic is Via the Grand Col, around behind the Aiguille Rouge, but often there isn't enough time left and you just go up the Aiguille Rouge and down the famous piste to Villaroger. I've not done the tour for quite a few years ( since the link-lift in fact) and never done the forest variant.

Two holidays booked with guide Zeb Roche - his own Haute Maurienne, plus Montgenevre (The Milky way plus possibly a day each at Serre Chevalier and Puy St Vincent). Basically places not much known for their off-piste. Then a week with SCGB in Andermatt (where I have never been) in late March.

How about you? Looks like we probably won't get to ski with you again this year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, my problem is that there are now slightly too many people in our regular group for the 2 holidays (6 places in each) which I organise: this year I had to tell 2 people who wanted to come on both that they couldn't. On the other hand, if I try to organise a 3rd trip it has always been a really big struggle to fill the last places (even calling on a few extra people such as you). Perhaps I will have one more try next season (210/11) at doing 3. Possibly Zeb in Verbier, Philippe André in La Grave and Graham Austick in St Anton, or perhaps Andermatt if it is as good as I suspect. We almost always do 8 days of skiing - 2 with just the group and 6 with a guide. I'll let you know in about 8 or 9 months Shocked

Might you be interested? When do you tend to decide what you are doing?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy