Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here goes.
I was reading Fall line magazine this month and they had a website in it called ski4cheap.
This website is new this year and advertises independent ski instructors.
I'm off to Mayrhofen in January and was looking at getting a few private lessons.
I'm kind of intermediate (been boarding last 12 years but back on skis now) but really want to progress with my skiing into the realms of fast carving, off piste and even freestyle.
On this website they have an instructor who is BASI 2 qualified.
What does this mean in terms of teaching profficiency and will they be able to teach me everything I want to know.
I know I'm not very good, but I don't want to book a crap instructor and then wish I had booked a better one.
Cheers
Stu
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stu330, Basi Level '2' is the 'entry' level BASI qualification for teaching in the mountains, however in 'old money' BASI 2 was the next level up.

Your best bet is to be very clear about what you want to work on and drop him an email asking about his expertise in that area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure you can contact them that easily, will have to look into it.
Thanks for the reply.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stu330, depends on how not very good is not very good! wink BASI Level 2 (new money) isn't really a very high qualification. A BASI Level 2 should be good enough to teach you up to several weeks of skiing experience or much much further if you have lots and lots of bad habits and skied a lot but not really progressed. A BASI Grade 2 (old money) should be pretty proficient for most levels but may not be fully bought into the new carving style of the last decade or so. All imho Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I can carve, and can get down anything (although I can't carve down blacks). I haven't ever done moguls, and would like to try basic freestyle stuff. I'd say I'm on a par with most recreational skiers (the kind who do a run then have a drink, then do another), but would like to progress further.
Hope this makes sense.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stu330, I'd say you'd benefit from a more advanced lesson, or at least get a recommendation for an instructor. Not all L2s would be able to teach moguls, or even ski them very well. A L2 instructor would also not necessarily be able to carve on anything steeper than a blue run.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1 wrote:
stu330, I'd say you'd benefit from a more advanced lesson, or at least get a recommendation for an instructor. Not all L2s would be able to teach moguls, or even ski them very well. A L2 instructor would also not necessarily be able to carve on anything steeper than a blue run.

But then again, I know quite a few Level 2's and can do all those things but have not yet got their L3, or decided not to pursue it for assorted reasons.

The only way to be sure is to contact the instructor and see what they have to say. A testimonial or two should put your mind at rest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys
that's great advice.
Can't wait to get on my skis now!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, of course, that's why I said not all, and hence why you need a recommendation. If you go with a higher level of instructor you know what their minimum standard will be without needing a personal recommendation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy