Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

my son has asked for a Garmin for xmas to use skiing.
He wants to see how far he has travelled & max speed etc. as oppossed to using for orienteering.
Anybody had any experience using these, if so how practicle & user freindly are they?
The model i was thinking of was the Foretrak 205.

Many thanks

Marc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the foretrex are okay, they sit on your wrist though that might be a pain for gloves and pole straps. Battery life is pretty short aswell.

if its just speed and distance and not mapping then try ebay for a navman A300 snow easy to use, simple and just gives, speed, avg, max, distance, total dist, vertical, its meant to know when you're on lifts, but i found it suspect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Preswylfa marc, ...i have the suunto core which logs all the details he will need i.e. altitude, distance travelled, time taken to travel a certain distance, altitude ascended or descended and in what time, speed of ascent / descent etc etc...it will also predict incoming storms, which is handy in the b/c, tell you the temperature and has a compass...oh and it tells the time!...you can then download all the data onto your laptop...pretty nifty and a cracking looking watch which is also important....i think you can pick these bad boys up for approx £150 these days....unfortunately, these watches will not give you a bl0wj0b...as soon as they bring out one that will, i'll be getting it................

okbye
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi - is there a device that will track where i have been, GPS, that Ican then download to say a google map etc so i can see where i have been on the mountain. And then if I want to go and do the same route the next day will the device be able to show me the route on the day so that I can repeat it.

Basically, looking to use it when I go on day guiding off-piste (in Europe) and so that I can remember where those great off-piste routes are when with friends.

Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowpatrol, I have one as well, it looks as though i need to get the instruction book out tonight re ascents descents etc, when they bring out the b-j version I'll be first in the queue!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi papasmurf, just done a search on the navman & they appear to be obsoulete.
Snowpatrol- the suuno looks the dogz but how user freindly is it( my boys 12)

Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah, thats why I mentioned ebay, they sometimes pop up on there.

the other option is something like sportsdo if you got a compatible phone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Preswylfa marc, i haven't used mine to anywhere near its full potential as i got it just as the season was ending, but just had a look through the manual and it didn't seem like double dutch (and i'm not the sharpest at the best of times)...you know kids and electronics, i'd say he'll pick it up ok...i got mine over the interweb in the states...thats where they're cheapest...try ebay.com and compare to british prices...you may have to pay a little duty but usually it still works out much cheaper...BTW...suunto have fantastic customer care service...if your watch breaks down, they send DHL to pick it up from your doorstep, and normally dont even bother fixing it...they ship you out a new one!.....your kid must be a bit of an adventurer if he's after this sorta thing for xmas...when i was 12 i think i got an action man or sumfink.....way to go junior..........

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a foretrek - 405 I think. Downloads over IRDA to google maps and works OK. But need bare hands to use the touch bezel. Buttons are better in the cold e.g. the Core. I always wear my watch on the outside of my jacket as can't get to time easily with gloves on. The Foretreks do scratch more easily than the Cores. Good for touring. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Suunto Core....can one of the owners tell me if the stopwatch does cummulative timing. By this I mean that I like to track after my workout times on a weekly basis (currently my Polar does this). If I use the stop watch for a run and do NOT reset to zero, then go back to the default watch function would I then be able to go back to the stopwatch (with the saved time from the run showing) to time my 2nd workout and so on?

Edit: I just realised that I could use the altimeter function to log/time every workout I do, but would that also show cummulative time for the week?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 7-12-09 11:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowman,i'd say probably yes but i'm not sure off the top off my head..... i will check the manual when i get time.....try googling it in the meantime... you should be able to find the info you need.....

okbye
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowpatrol, I googled already (see my edited post). Thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowpatrol, did you buy off ebay? I've been watching (sic) prices for some time and this year the ebay USA mob seem to have some very nice prices, (just re-checked all the USA prices seem to have shot up/stopped???) just in time for XMas...

Which colour faces to folk have? I read on the facewest.co.uk site:

Positive faces watches (Black numbers on clear background) are easier to read in poor light (all watches have back lights).
Negative faces (White numbers on a Black background) are easier to read in bright sun conditions.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 7-12-09 12:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use a Garmin Edge as I cycle as well and it slots onto handlebars - just turn it on in the moring, leave it in a pocket (or even top of a rucksack) and download info in the evening. Need to make sure you have the Altimeter version . . .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Marc
Garmin GPS are pretty easy to use, and favoured by runners - I use a forerunner 305.
battery life is approx 1 day, but recharges when plugged into computer.
it's very easy to use, and has buttons.
I've used it successfully for skiing, as well as running - you can see nice pics and graphs on the unit, and the included s/w will show you graphs of elevation, pace etc, and there is other s/w (sports tracks, for example) that will track other things likes equipment, weather etc)

I was also looking at the Core - it's an ABC (Altimeter/Barometer/Compass) watch - quite big (50mm dial), but a proper watch, rather than a GPS unit.... longer battery life being one important benefit, and it doesn't _need_ a computer.

windiskisurf
- most GPS units will remember your route... the 'runners' watches let you store the course so you can re-run it at a later date (and compete against yourself). you can either do this by skiing the course, or designing it on something like 'map my run.com' and uploading it....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy