Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Times Winter Sports

Poster: A snowHead
Once again The Times is publishing a load of Garbage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-12-09 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which bit? All of it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
Wintes Sports

There's a word for typing of that quality.

Quote:
Once again The Times is publishing a load of Garbage.

Here are their suggestions ("Garbage" according to you):

1. Red Mountain, Canada
2. Serre Chevalier, France
3. La Clusaz
4. Arosa, Switzerland
5. Gulmarg, India
6. Lenzerheide, Switzerland
7. Arcalis, Andorra
8. Baqueira-Beret, Spain
9. Nassfeld, Austria
10. The Highlands, Scotland

Which of those have you skied personally? Which are you defining as "Garbage"?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gulmargs not underated, its just miles away and not really mass travel friendly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Mountain is incredible and a real gem in the Canadian to do lists. There is a reason why the majority of Canadas most succesfull racers are from Red Mountian.

Serious terrain real local village atmosphere and nobody arround even by Canadian standards the place is empty most of the time. You will either come back skiing like a god or in serious pain after visiting.

Nassfeld, We got a sneaky weekend in there once great resort with loads to do and lovley powder conditions when we where there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a list of underated resorts it's fine, and only an opinion. If, as a result of reading it, you went to any of those places you'd probably be happy that you did.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nassfeld is my "home" ski place Smile Even if it's in other country it's still just a bit more then 100km away. And to be honest, I'm glad it's underrated. This way it can stay with zero queue lines and quite empty courses. But even then, it has one of newest lift system of any ski places I have ever been, and considering my work and my history, there hasn't been little of them ranging from middle/south Europe to Lapland up north in Scandinavia. But apresski is almost not existing there.... not that I would care Smile
From other on list, I have been in La Clusaz, Lenzerheide, Serre Chevalier and Arosa. I might be weird, but I prefer such "underrated" resorts over any fancy but crappy ski place like St. Anton/Lech, Kitzbuhel, St. Moritz (have been skiing in all those)... Night life might be better there, but skiing in general is much better in those "no-name" resorts. And I come for skiing anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swiller, I reckon you're underrated.

By the way, there are two Rs in underrated
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nonstop and Propaganda both getting a mention here!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
Swiller, I reckon you're underrated.

By the way, there are two Rs in underrated
That's the kind of pedantry we used to get from that David Goldsmith
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So its a list thrown together with lazy journalism pulling some Press Release hype from vested interests but IMV some of the selections are good.

Red is absolute class but many Brit skiers would hate it so the oxygen of publicity is a little wasted. Serre Che is a great and interesting area with the added benefit of being only a short skip from many other great places. The Highlands on their day are some of the most beautiful places to ski on the planet yet most Brits wouldn't consider the hassle of a train ride.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought it was a pretty reasonable list and decent enough article!

I particularly liked the comment:
Quote:
When conditions are good, Cairngorm could be Whistler, Chamonix and St Anton all rolled into one for all I care.”

Bring it on snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, When conditions are good they missed out but the are usually just icy and windy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ lol, but if you ski 'em you can ski anywhere wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of the list I've only skied The Highlands (Cairngorm and Glenshee) and La Clusaz. I would say that La Clusaz is probably underrated since it is not a resort that features often in the press or on here for that matter. I thought it was a great little town and fantastic skiing. I don't think the Highlands are underrrated (note the use of an extra Scottish 'r') I would say they are highly rated - if the conditions are right (but that would apply to any ski area surely Confused )
latest report
Shhh, don't tell people Arosa is good. We don't want the masses clogging up the slopes. It's CRAP I tell you all. wink
snow report
Serre Chevalier is a bit under the radar when compared with the likes of the household names of Espace Killy, Paradiski and Trois Vallees. Thats how I like it. Prefer it when there is only the odd English voice and that you feel like you're abroad.
ski holidays
Christopher, well said - quite agree.

Serre Chevalier is an awful place, hideous. Don't go there.
snow report
Chasseur, The snow record is awful and it is constantly overcast. Don't bother.

Very Happy
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead wrote:

1. Red Mountain, Canada
2. Serre Chevalier, France
3. La Clusaz
4. Arosa, Switzerland
5. Gulmarg, India
6. Lenzerheide, Switzerland
7. Arcalis, Andorra
8. Baqueira-Beret, Spain
9. Nassfeld, Austria
10. The Highlands, Scotland

Which of those have you skied personally? Which are you defining as "Garbage"?

ALL. Next ?
snow report
Sorry - is that "ALL" to the second question, the first question, or both questions?
snow conditions
stanton, So you have skied all and they are all garbage? What are your top lesser known resorts then?
ski holidays
I've received a PM from stanton concerning the points above. It would be quite wrong to reproduce it here but his key point is that he's skied all the above ski areas "two or three times".

So, we'll take it that he skied them once, decided they were garbage, and went back at least once to check that they were garbage.
snow report
The Abominable snowHead, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy