Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One Day in Davos: Where to Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Title says it all, really. I will be in Davos for one day (22 Dec.) with my father, and I'm wondering which sector to ski. I assume the choice is between the Parsenn and the Jakobshorn.

I'm an advanced skier and like blacks as well as any obvious off-piste (or more acurately next-to piste) with powder (fingers crossed) ot bumps.

My father is an intermediate skier who likes long reds.

Parsenn is obviously larger, but bigger is not always better.

Any opinions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Parsenn.

Jakobshorn, Madrisa, Rinerhorn etc are areas to do after you have done the main one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ami in berlin, Parsenn is miles better... Try to ski the long run all the way down from the top cable car right down into klosters - if he likes long reds that will be right up his alley. Brilliant ski area - my favourite I think. If the snow is not good enough to get right down to Klosters stop at the gondola which begins with 'S' - I forget the name, Schifi or something like that

The home run back to Davos is a really top class black too - not scary but nice and steep, usually not bumpy so you should both enjoy that - again if the snow is good enough
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Parsenn thirded. Though if you ski down the lovely long red (quite a bit of which is more like a blue, in truth) and find yourself in Klosters, you might just as well ski Madrisa too, it's beautiful and varied, with good off-piste as well as reds/blacks. Depends a bit on how you're travelling: if you're getting to Davos by train, and want to maximise your skiing time, then again stick to the Parsenn area, which is the most central and convenient as well as being the biggest. It can be a slight slog to get to the other areas, particularly Jakobshorn, unless you've got a car.

I love this domain too. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mmmm Not so sure.
Parsenn gives you a better feel for the area as a whole but specifically for bumpy blacks the top of the Jackobshorn is better IMHO, it also has about the steepest pistes now that they have taken out the ones from the top of the Parsenn. More off-piste at Parsenn if conditions are good though the itinaiare down from the Jackobshorn is excellent.
In terms of access if you are coming by train the Jackobshorn is actually closer to the station (next stop though) than the Parsenn bahn though going to Klosters would save time over either.
For long reds Parsenn much better though the Jackobshorn reds are not bad.
If there are crowds Jackobshorn is usually quieter and a pretty good hill now they have got a few more chairs and are less reliant on T's.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the insight everyone.

We'll have a car. We have a cross country skier with us as well, and we will be going to a hockey game that night. I'd though the easiest thing to do would be to drive to Davos (rather than accessing through Klosters) and park the car somewhere centrally for downhill, cross country and the hockey. Not that I know where that parking would be, but that's another issue.

Moving the car would not be a problem, so we do have some flexibility there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Klosters for powder.

Davos for steeps ('ish).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, what do you mean "now that they have taken out the ones from the top of the Parsenn"?

The piste-map shows two blacks from the top of Weissfluhgipfel. Do you mean these are not longer there, or do you mean something else?

Thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin, The ones from Weissflugipfel are still there as far as I know but here were two excellent blacks from the top of the 2nd stage Klosters cable car 'Drostobel' and something else that have dissapeared. The blacks from Weissflugipfel although reasonably steep are not mogulled.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the clarification, T Bar.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar, the relatively recently "eliminated" runs from the top of the Klosters cable car were Drostobel and Chalbersass. There is also the Wang directly under the cable car, which disappeared many years ago. The three are all great runs - but not suitable for Ami's father.

They usually groom the Gipfel Nord on alternate days, so one day is smooth, second day has moguls.

ami in berlin, I would definitely spend the day at Parsenn for the views, the skiing and the variety. Jakobshorn is fairly limited and full of boarders. Dec 22 will likely be quite crowded. Trick is to ski the upper lifts early then take long runs to the valley (Davos, Klosters and Wolfgang) in the afternoon when the queues for the upper lifts become massive. I presume Kublis will not be open unless there is a massive dump of snow.

The Meyerhof down to Wolfgang is a classic challenging black run (with rewarding lunch to be had at the Kulm Hotel at the bottom), although your father may not enjoy it and once you go past the bottom of the chair lift you are committed. Father should not have any problem on the black to Davos. If you want bumps, head for the Schwarzseealp chair - you ski under it while your father skis round and waits for you at the bottom of the chair.

If there is fresh snow it should be easy for you to find plenty of "obvious" powder.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if there is snow in the valley ski down to Saas for Lunch in the Gaasthof and get the train (included on the ski pass) back. More info here:-

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Davos-And-Klosters
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
if there is snow in the valley ski down to Saas for Lunch in the Gaasthof and get the train (included on the ski pass) back. More info here:-

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Davos-And-Klosters

You may wish to update this report that Schatzalp is re-opening a limited number of lifts starting Dec 19, 2009. It will require a separate ticket and the cable car across the Strela pass to Parsenn is not one of the lifts that will open. I believe the ticket will run 30-35CHF - ideal for a first or last partial day.

If you understand German, see here: http://www.schatzalp.ch/p.cfm?s=58
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy