Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes; Alpine Elements and Christmas!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OMG...it was the call of the snow; the thought that we couldn't go till Easter 2010; and the desire to avoid decorating the Xmas tree - but I have only gone and booked me, the husband and kids (10 and 12) for ski ing this Xmas on the spur of the moment. Now I am panicking...will there be snow? We have never skied this early (earliest we have gone before is Feb half term) and we know nothing about Tignes le lac and what it will be like at Xmas. What's it like for Intermediates? Which Ski School? ESF or Evolution? Any tips? Any good steers for cheap food/drink for kids. And will Father Xmas get to us?...I can't believe I did this. And I know nothing about Alpine Elements...I know thsi will be all too late -but forwarned is forearmed. And I wasn't drinking. But OMG, we will be ski ing at Xmas! Yipppeeeeeee!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'd better have had made a good choice cos we'll be there too in Tignes Le Lac from Boxing Day

Intermediates will be fine

Sorry cant help with ski school but there will be others on here who can
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow Reports here .
Ski School - One of the ESF instructors (based in Val Claret I think) is a SH - Stuart Woodward. PM him for info?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tinabf, woo hoo! Great move, I'm sure you won't regret it.

My experience is that Tignes is excellent for Xmas and intermediates. I've been there a couple of times (1996 & 2006), coincidentally at Xmas time, and from memory there are some fabulously flattering bowls to cruise on to your heart's content over the back of Le Lac towards Val d'Isere then turn right and head up towards Val Claret. If you get stuck in Val Claret at the end of the day there is (was?) a free shuttle back to LeLac. If you get stuck in Val d'Isere - ouch! The taxi is expensive. Dodgy memory moment but I think the buses from Val d'Isere to Tignes stop around 6pm.

Re: instructors; I'd recommend New Generation over ESF. Every time I've skied with New Generation or former New Gen instructors, I've learned sooooo much about my skiing. They've helped me analyse my turns, my head-space for steep and my techniques for different snow off-piste. My understanding of ESF is that they have a very specific (cough, many would say out-dated] teaching style that seems to amount to "follow me, I'm the best skier you'll ever ski with, copy everything I do" without giving you any insight into your own skiing.

I haven't been away with Alpine Elements but I have been very close to booking with them on a number of occasions in the past couple of years. They look like a good outfit and I wouldn't think twice about booking with them.

Re: eating; I presume you're in a catered chalet so there's only lunch to take care of and unfortunately you're at the mercy of the mountain restaurants if you don't go into LeLac or Val Claret or Val d'Isere. You can always picnic on a couple of days (there are a couple of mini-markets - and a chemist, of course [not relevant to eating but helpful to know I hope] - in LeLac) but you won't be able to use restaurant seating (inside or out) so you'll be on the snow for lunch. Also there used to be a fresh food market one day of the week in LeLac so you might be able to stock up on cheese and salami on that day.

No, Santa won't get to you but you can all exchange gifts from each other and imagine that a supernatural being has something to do with 25 Dec - if that's what you're into wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Tinabf,

I have been in Tignes the last four New Years - so a week later than you are talking about but more or less similar.

Firstly, yes there will be snow. Even in a bad snow season Tignes is high enough that there will always be something to ski on!

There is plenty of intermediate skiing. The central valley between Tignes and Val D'Isere has long easy greens and there are more civilised blues than you can shake a stick at. To start with just take the Palafour lift right out of the village centre and come straight back down to get your ski legs going. After that you could go up Paquis and down Piste H to Val Claret. After that just look at the map and use a little imagination.

I would highly recommend Evolution 2 in Tignes Le lac. I have skied with them in classes and in private lessons and have always had great experiences. I have never skied with ESF in Tignes but have elsewhere and I definitely enjoyed myself a lot more with Evo2. In the end it all comes down to the quality of the individual instructor you actually get I suppose but the bigger group sizes with ESF are also a factor.

flowa is right about not getting stuck in Val after the lifts close but having said that the only (!) problem is the cost. It's no problem to find a taxi and they are all geared up to carry skis. It happened to me once and I have been careful that it doesn't happen again Very Happy

There was a thread here a week or two back about eating choices so I won't rehash all of that. Everyone will tell you that the restaurants are expensive and they are right. The little cafe attached to the Spar supermarket offers a more economical alternative for lunch.

You will have a fantastic time. Just don't use it all up. I will be there from the second of 2010. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tinabf,

Hopefully this will ease your worries..... http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm

Tignes is great, I think I'm hooked on the place again after a break of 15 years. Plenty (masses) of intermediate terrain.

Evolution 2 are good by all accounts although it is many years since I used them. ESF was good for my other half last Easter.

Heading out on the 15th.

Are you feeling christmassy yet ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For ski schools you could try 'Ultimate Snowsports' or 'The Development Centre' - both quite small British set ups, but nice people.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tinabf, I've been in Tignes for the second full week in Dec for the last 2 years. Excited at the mo 'cos I'm going again on Saturday.

Last season the snow in early Dec was the best I skied in the season. It already looks pretty good in Tignes already so you shouldn't have any snow problems.

I'd recommend Evo 2 as well. My partner did her first week on a mountain last year and Evo 2 had her skiing a black run by the end of the week.

Have fun!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all that have replied. Now I'm REALLY excited (and broke)! Cheers guys. Only 2 and a bit weeks to go. OMG! New Generation already booked; trying the other two English speaking operations as the youngest hates ski school because of the language difficulties...so thatnks david@mediacopy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tinabf, you'll have a great Christmas and wonder why you've bothered with the half term crowds in the past. Tignes looks like being a perfect choice this year, with some mild weather coming up at lower altitudes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tinabf, Tignes is a great choice. We,re back out there at Xmas having skied for the last 3 years at Newyear. (And many other trips in between Madeye-Smiley . Madeye-Smiley

We have never actually had a bad week in Tignes/Val D'Isere over a period of about 8 years, and that span runs from the week before Xmas to the last week in April.

Echo what Bogusman says.....try not to get stranded in Val D'. Cheapest Lunch in Le Lac is in the small cafe at the Spar shop.(a few doors along from the ESF office)

I think the cheapest mountain restaurant is Marmottes which is adjacent to the snow park between Tignes and Val.

Check out www.tignes.net and www.valdinet.com for current conditions/webcams. Also go to the snow reports section of this forum and check out Tignes. Some recent piccies and video. Also ref instruction.....2 of the posters on Tignes snow reports (stewart woodward & rorie) instruct in Tignes. Try sending them a pm (private message) or check their web links.

My son had snowboard instruction with Evolution2 when he was 13 and he thought they were so cool. Cool

You'll have a great time. ps, try to get along to the Alpaka Lodge at some point. Usually a few snowheads in there Very Happy Very Happy .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski lessons:-
Try Stewart Woodward or Rorie (both have posts on this page, find the photos http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55130&start=200), or look in the Tignes Mountain Echo for schools (should be a few Brit schools in there)/ look at the notice board on the right as you enter the Alpaka for leaflets/ ask Tony or Jill in the Alpaka.

Lunch - try the Brasero in Tignes Lavachet (end of the Digues green run) or the Loop or Tignes Cuisine in Tignes le Lac (opposite side of road to the Rosset chair & Rosset blue run).

Father Christmas will probably arrive apres-ski in le Lac during Xmas week - pop into the Maison de Tignes for what is planned.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were in Tignes for Christmas a few years ago and, as with most resorts at Christmas, the ski school put on a show on Christmas Eve the culmination of which was the arrival of Santa. As I recall it was a torchlit snake down to Tignes Lac with Santa at the back of the snake with red and white flares (the burning ones rather than the 1970's ones - that would have been surreal).

They also give away free vin chaud in every resort I've been to at Christmas. Brilliant.

It is always badly advertised and no one seems to know exactly what time it will happen - especially not TO staff. But it will definately happen. And don't forget - it will be on Christmnas Eve evening not Christmas Day.

The best Christmas show I ever saw was in Avoriaz where they had fireworks and Santa arrived sitting astride a huge rocket with flames coming out of the end of it. Fantastic!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy