Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste this weekend, Zermatt, Ischgl or Laax?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've got flights booked to arrive in Zurich noon Saturday 5 December and leaving 1 week later. The original plan was to go wherever has the most fresh snow, but things are looking slightly more complex. According to the various reports, Zermatt and Laax only have a small proportion of the pistes and lifts open. Also, although Zermatt is famed for its off piste, when you look closer it seems that the best area only really opens in January and that many of the other areas need a lot of snow to cover the crevasses and rocks, so maybe not such a great idea.
So Zermatt has more snow but needs more to cover the rocks than Ischgl. Laax seems to only have 10% of the lifts open.

Given the fairly limited amount of snow about (at least compared to this weekend last year), please can someone throw in some opinions about where we'll get the best off piste this weekend and next week.
Or indeed just opinions about where offers the best off piste in normal conditions at this time of year for 'punters'.

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andermatt looks like it got dumped on. Not sure if its open yet though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"early season off-piste"

I don't know any of the specific areas. But I always thought of "early season" and off-piste dont' often go together all that well except for the lucky few (year).

As a punter once said "resort xx may have just gotten 120cm of snow. But its slopes are littered with 130 cm rocks!" rolling eyes

(I'm sure there're resorts that aren't full of rocks. Good luck! Wink )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, I very much look forward to prove you wrong this weekend. Toofy Grin

Offpiste November skiing in the last two years was niiiiice....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TheGeneralist wrote:
We've got flights booked to arrive in Zurich noon Saturday 5 December and leaving 1 week later. The original plan was to go wherever has the most fresh snow, but things are looking slightly more complex. According to the various reports, Zermatt and Laax only have a small proportion of the pistes and lifts open. Also, although Zermatt is famed for its off piste, when you look closer it seems that the best area only really opens in January and that many of the other areas need a lot of snow to cover the crevasses and rocks, so maybe not such a great idea.
So Zermatt has more snow but needs more to cover the rocks than Ischgl. Laax seems to only have 10% of the lifts open.

Given the fairly limited amount of snow about (at least compared to this weekend last year), please can someone throw in some opinions about where we'll get the best off piste this weekend and next week.
Or indeed just opinions about where offers the best off piste in normal conditions at this time of year for 'punters'.

cheers

I enjoyed some very good off piste early December last year in Ischgl, but it (and the year before) both had well above average early snowfall. This year the Alps suffered high temperatures all through the second half of November, so conditions are unlikely to be quite so friendly.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon wrote:
abc, I very much look forward to prove you wrong this weekend. Toofy Grin

Indeed, perhaps you could add some value to that by stating where you're planning to ski off piste? Probably Whistler at a guess!

Anyway Andermatt does look like it got a lot of snow but I went there 2 years ago and couldn't really improve on the experience so I'm keen to try somewhere else. I got my Swiss Transfer Ticket ordered today so it looks like we're off to Zermatt.

Indeed last year was something else. The weekend of 5 December in St Anton was amazing, absolutely amazing

yehaa
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
whistler
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow-forecast.com says "Engelberg cut off by snow,"

This says http://snow.myswitzerland.com/requests/MySwitzerlandWinterSearchRequest.jsp?rkey=723&banner=false&lang=en

Depth of snow on upper runs
3020 m 122 cm
Depth of snow on lower runs
1050 m 40 cm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TheGeneralist, a number of people I know are converging on Zinal Saturday. Not sure about Sunday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt looked rocky last weekend except on the glaciers where the crevasses won't have filled in yet - so be careful if you go there
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of snow in Andermatt, an avalanche knocked a train off the tracks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You probably there now. Off Piste at this time of the year is very dangerous ! Thin base, warm ground , new snow Skullie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy