Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FLAINE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Flaine on 4th Jan ( Webcams already showing lots of snow)

Have decided that this year I am going to miss the lessons out ( good intermediate - and beginning to think
i need a run around on my own to progress a bit)

Any one recommend some good blacks in the area ?

also anyone recommend a nice LONG easy to work out route ( lots of pistes) that will take up all day
and take a lot of the area in so i can get eound as much as possibel

Many thanks

34 sleeps to go !!!!! ( does it count to miss out whole sleeps to get it to arrive quicker ?)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's open (it goes low), you should do Cascades from the top of the Flaine bowl down to Sixt - it's a bus back to Samoens, and then a few lifts back to Flaine. But you could turn it into a whole day quite easily, visiting all of those three plus Les Carroz. The ski area is quite compact so if you do run out of time it's easy to skip one and get home.

As for the blacks, the Gers and Veret bowls are fun if it's snowed - they're marked and lift served. Gers was only open for a couple of days when I was there (too much snow, not enough visibility) so might be good to get it in while you can if it does open. Both Gers and Veret are wide, offpiste areas, and it might be worth getting a lesson, at least for Gers, if you've never skied powder before. There's a red out from Veret so you can always check it out on the lift up and take that if you change your mind, but Gers is a long way down if you get into difficulties.

And for a restaurant recommendation - the new one at the bottom of the Gouilles lift above Samoens was superb last year. Table service, 4.50 for a large beer, lots of reasonably priced omelettes, but invariably busy so get there early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DIAMANT NOIR.

Ski this and you will have no need to fear any other European black run.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HI gazza2, . Would second EdC, comment on the Cascades run. It is a nice on piste tour round to Samoens.

Never quite got round to the black runs though. Forgot to bring bottle with me Sad

Enjoyed some of the reds over towards Morillon and Samoens more than the main Flaine bowl, but have only been once.

Marcellus lives out there, so am guessing he will be along soon. Have a great trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tada!! someone mention my name?

Blacks pick one and try it (subject to usual disclaimers about own capability and risks associated)

Possibly as a 1st try Agate or Aigle Noir as there are some quite easy bail outs if it gets too much, DO NOT try diamond Noir or Corblanche as once you start you have to finish.

For a day out... 265km of pistes give it a bash I've not yet met anyone to do it in a day.... from a Flaine start I know how I would plan it but that's half the fun of the challenge....

Cascades - I still can't decide whether I like it or not...... yes it's very pretty, yes there's a wonderful restaurant half way down (call for the skidoo lift), yes it's off the beaten track, yes it is possible to ski it all without skating and yes it's a "pleasant" morning....................... BUT it ends in Sixt (which is quite pretty and has a few interesting runs) and to get back to yur start point you need to catch the bus by 14:30(ish)..................

(btw check out this topic and add your details; http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55843&highlight=)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus, I'm guessing you might find Cascades a little more favourable now you're in Morillon? For us it made a pretty decent route back from the Flaine bowl at the end of the day, skiing back to the Giffre valley in reasonable time. The last bus to Morillon is much later, although I can't for the life of me remember when it is. But if you managed to ski Cascades without any skating or poling then you can schuss far better than me-which I'm sure you can anyway!

13 sleeps and counting until first trip. Really can't wait. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mfj197, it's not the quality of my schussing it more about knowing when to..... having done it virtually once a week all last season with clients it was a pain if I didn't as then I ended up feeling obliged to pull them.. great for the quads but gets a bit tiresome.

I was thinking that it might be different now I haven't got to get back to carroz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy