Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Denver Int Airport - Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Colorado for 10 days in Feb and will be hiring a 4x4 for the duration. Have been getting some quotes and the best value at the minute is either AVIS or DOLLAR, both of which are roughly £385 for 10 days.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of hiring from either of these companies in Denver and whether one is better than the other?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
Used both in the past without problem. Go with whatever is cheapest.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not answering your question but.....
I think all the car hire companies will be competent & professional. I booked through Netflights (no vested interest) & it was a bargain compared to UK car hire. They booked my car with Thrifty who offered a small 4 wheel drive - Toyota RAV 4 or similar at a small premium over standard car rate. The other companies only offered larger SUV's at a very high premium over standard. When we went to pick the car up they said it would be a Dodge Nitro but he couldn't find one readily so he gave us a Hummer ? - no extra charge. We had taken the 'gold' option for extra drivers and a tank of fuel which turned out to be a bargain as the Hummer had a massive fuel tank. I was a little worried about fuel consumption but gas is ridculously cheap in the states.
I would definitely go for a four wheel drive unless you have time to wait out a snow storm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickr wrote:
Heading to Colorado for 10 days in Feb and will be hiring a 4x4 for the duration. Have been getting some quotes and the best value at the minute is either AVIS or DOLLAR, both of which are roughly £385 for 10 days.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of hiring from either of these companies in Denver and whether one is better than the other?

Cheers

Avis
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
used dollar from jfk and dollar from denver....they couldn't have been more helpful....we didnt ask for it, but they gave us a massive upgrade for free, as our flight had been delayed into denver.....however, i would still go with another company if they were cheaper.....

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooof that seems steep.

I booked a 4x4 for 10 days from Denver last December (over Xmas) I used an agent and they sent me a voucher. The company was Alamo. We just got the bus to the car hire terminal place and handed in the voucher - nothing extra to pay CDW included etc

Try www.usrentacar.co.uk - just done a quick check and an intermediate SUV costs £246 for 10 days in Feb. We ended up with a spanking new Nissan Xterra. It was really cool to drive - the lady basically took us to a row of cars and said knock yourself out Haha. There were all types of 4x4s in the row, Jeep Liberty I think and Toyota RAV 4s.

BTW US rent a car was who we used.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have used Alamo out of denver several times via Holiday Autos (you could use the virgin 15% discount link, though i didn't at the time).

More recently have used dollar out of LAX via Autoeurope (with 8.5% cashback) on Quidco, I was getting a full size SUV for £30 a day compared to full size sedan for £18 per day, so worth a look.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickr wrote:

Cheers
Either, they are all much of a muchness there, but keep hunting for the price. I normally find Alamo offer the best deal but then try and sell you up more agressively.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't worry about car rentals agencies too much here in the States. I find I find decent deals on carrentals.com and expedia.com. And with neither require upfront payment!

Good Luck! It's a haul to the resorts from Denver, but very pretty!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It's a haul to the resorts from Denver, but very pretty!

redhead0209, most people this side of the pond would consider it a short transfer. "Pretty?"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Man I just love this website! Thanks for all the great advice guys.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

It's a haul to the resorts from Denver, but very pretty!

redhead0209, most people this side of the pond would consider it a short transfer. "Pretty?"

Yes, I think the drive from Denver up the foothills to the resorts is pretty! Sorry, I think 2 hours + is a long transfer...not like Utah, where you can be in a resort town in under 40 minutes.

Anyway, back to car rentals.....just go with the cheapest.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was very impressed by Alamo service out of DIA after we broke one of their cars - oh look at that big rock bouncing towards us, we can just miss it, OK maybe not, big bang underneath the car, wet line in the road, holed the fuel tank. After getting a tow back to Durango at about 8 at night our replacement car was delivered to the door at 3 am.

Went with them because they were cheapest.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm hiring from Avis at Denver in March. I'm presuming that winter tyres and/or chains are standard. I can't find anything on their web site. Anyone know?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cars are fitted with multi season tires....so, they are not changed from season to season, given that mega salt is poured on the roads to keep them from packing. As for chains....not sure....I would ask.
snow report
You can request chain, which will cost a few dollars extra. But of all the times I skied in Colorado Summit Country area, I've never encounter the situation that needs it. They either close the highway altogether or cleared it quickly enough to render it unneccessary.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy