Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving over the Jura tomorrow??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, v quick question for snowheads in the locality (or just in the know)!

I'm driving out for the season tomorrow, normally travel over from Besancon to Lausanne via pontarlier. Should this route be okay or, given the snow that's been falling today, would I be better sticking to the motorways via geneava, ie longer but perhaps better conditions? Puzzled

Any informed comment welcome.......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gilo, not very local knowledge but from what I can see (and not knowing those roads) - I'd think you'd be OK. Isn't there a Jura road conditions site you can check?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my quick googling didn't get me anywhere (french not my strong point sadly Sad ) still trying though.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main routes around the area are all usually cleared quite quickly so you should be fine....the Swiss roads can be a bit tricky as they don't clear the snow and it can get a bit packed. As long as it isn't actually tipping it down with snow I'd plump for the route via Pontarlier....it's a very long way round on the autoroute! We took that route last year soon after a fall and it was fine. You can check out conditions at Bison Fute

http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/listeflashs.do?langue=fr&idCarte=3
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, thanks, we'll see how I go.... Was so busy being excited by the webcams I never stopped to think it might affect driving, D'oh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is the website for traffic in the Doubs department. it shows conditions as "delicate" between Pontarlier and the Swiss border at Valorbe

http://www.inforoute25.fr/

Hope this helps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gilo, do you have snow tyres? Might make a difference to the decision. Having to put on chains would be a right faff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't driven across to Lausanne - but I've encountered quite snowy roads on that col which drops down to the motorway east of Geneva airport. I was quite glad to have had snow tyres, and it was a pretty slow drive - but very beautiful. We stopped at one of the little resorts for coffee and enjoyed watching a little French girl of about 9 years old playing around on her own, on cross country skis - climbing a little bank and skiing down, doing little turns and hops - impressive skiing and lovely to see her just amusing herself so happily. Same café, I found out how to pronounce "Gex" (I asked someone!).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gilo, sorry only just saw your post. If you have not left yet. Roads in Jura are clear right now and should remain so. There is only snow down to about 1200m on the Jura right now. The Swiss get there side cleared very quickly on the main road across the Jura. The side roads are packed down hard so having snow tyres are a big help on those ones. But for your route it should be easy driving..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm... Had my one of my more 'interesting' car journies across the Jura last December. Were driving out to Geneva from London.

Blindly followed Satnav off the motorway, going up, and up and up, and the rain turned to snow, quite a lot of it, but we were past the point of no return! As we were planning on getting snow tyres in Geneva, we were still on summer ones. Let's just say the ABS was working a lot of the time whilst we were up there! Thankfully is was late, so the roads were quiet. Fine once down though, and the rain started again.

Bit of a newbie mistake that... Live and learn! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope you made it Ok. Roads on our side were fun at 07.00 this morning, but quickly cleared by the time I came back up from geneva.
Have a great season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Blindly followed Satnav

not a good idea anywhere, but particularly not in the alps, and particularly not in winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Blindly followed Satnav

not a good idea anywhere, but particularly not in the alps, and particularly not in winter.

Yup - a lesson we learnt very quickly!

Our Satnav seemed very keen to take us through Mt Blanc at every opportunity too. No, we'll go the way where we don't have to pay an extra 50 quid (or whatever it was - can't remember price now).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, roads were fine but more snow than I've ever seen on that route at the start of the season, hope it's a good omen snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi again Very Happy

Quick bump to this thread as I'm off again, you guessed it, driving over the Jura. I've checked the links above and think the hardest bit will be leaving the uk...... rolling eyes but if anyone has any local info I'm gonna be hitting besancon-lausanne rout on friday afternoon

many thanks, roll on the snow (once I'm actually there)
snow report
Be careful there is a lot of snow. If you can avoid any high cols until Monday do so.
snow report
gilo, Jura was on alerte orange for snow this morning (Wednesday), but that's now cancelled and forecast is for light snowfall. If you have appropriate tyres and/or chains you should have no problem.
snow conditions
Snow in Geneva and Bison Fute says conditions on the N57 down to Vallorbe are difficult. Stick to the autoroutes unless conditions improve over the next 24 hours
latest report
Hi gilo. I often take that route, and wished I had taken it last week. I drove 26 and 27th, but chose the autoroutes via Geneva. It snowed all the way, and I came off the A1 abeam GVA airport, because of a multi-car pile-up being reported at Rolle. But once I was past Lausanne, there was hardly any snow, and the more easterly route would probably have been better. It is a main road, and the forecast for Thu and Fri is good.
ski holidays
BergenBergen, That's a useful website. I've just bookmarked it. gilo, Don't take my advice: I got it wrong last week. Check the night before.
latest report
thanks all, gonna keep a careful watch and decide on the day. have tyres/chains but dont fancy doing the journey at 20mph Sad

any local knowledge, keep it coming.
snow report
gilo, There is loads of snow here right now. I was up in the hills above geneva last weekend and the roads were passable, now there has been a very big dump and it is still snowing now so my advice, go the long way round unless you like driving in the snow. Geneva Airport is still closed due to bad weather. Having said that, the roads are ok as they keep them in good condition for those with winter tyres and you do not mind a very slow drive. If you do not have them, forget that route while this weather lasts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy