Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

really dippy question - wax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just bought my first skis - do i need to get them waxed, or are they ready waxed?
I did warn you it was dippy Embarassed - but genuine honest
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bitoffluff, I bought skis from Kiwi1 last year and his advice was to ski on them for a few days to get rid of the factory wax before getting them waxed again. As he is supplier I took his advice. Cool snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They will have some minimal factory wax on them but most techs advise at least 1 hot wax cycle on new skis. The truly obsessed will do up to 5 wax and scrape cycles to get the base structure full of wax but IMO this is overkill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bitoffluff, best to get them waxed, they should be cleaned with a hot wax to clean them out and get rid of the bits left behind from the factory, then a base preperation wax followed by a wax with a standard wax, i'm sure a fellow snowHead can recommend someone in Scotland to do them for you, the edges won't need doing. geepee, has agood point that you could ski for a few days and get them done out in the resort, but getting them done before hand saves you going round the resort finding someone who will do you a wax overnight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cool, thanks for the advice - anyone know anyone in inverness rolling eyes Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
New ski's have a very thin layer of liquid wax wiped on by machine in the factory. I consider it more for protection than actual skiing

My new Nomads I got a month ago, got a dewax, 4 Base prep waxes and scrapes, 4 all temp waxes and scrapes, then the edges checked and tuned. I still think they could do with more wax

You want as much wax IN the ski as possible to protect teh base and keep it water repellant

My experiance of shop machine waxes are again they just wipe some on in a machine (it ski's off as quickly)

There is no substitution for HOT waxing and scrape/polish by hand. Its dead easy to learn and very satisfying to do. Start by visiting www.skituning.com and looking at Jon's guides
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy