Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine vs. La Plagne off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping for some advice on merit of flaine vs. la plagne for off piste skiing in early Jan.

I've got to make a little bit of a comprise with my partner who is an intermediate skier. We're planning on first two weeks of Jan (first week for her, 2nd week resort more suited for me).

First week aiming to stay with UACP in either La Plagne or Flaine (as UACP have twin rooms in these two centres and keen to keep costs down). These are both great resorts for intermediates (so good for her) although less well known for off piste. I'm an expert off piste skier who gets 4-5 weeks in per year mostly all off piste. From looking at piste hors and other sites plus searching the snowheads both look ok (would prefer to be at La Grave or Chamonix but have to make the compromise).

My one concern with flaine is the fissues/rock holes I see mentioned, how much do these limit the off piste (would be skiing with a guide or UACP off piste group). If you had to choose Flaine vs. La Plagne for off piste which would you choose and why? Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Will be doing the 2nd week of January in Val D'Isere so will get a much better off-piste fix then but keen to try and make the first week as good as possible.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
perthpowchaser, La Plagne off piste website is here http://thermique74.nuxit.net/ Google translate can be used if required. As well as all the areas featured don't forget La Plagne gives access to the famous North Face of the Bellecote Glacier.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
perthpowchaser, If you want to go to La Grave with your intemediate friend, it might be an idea to stay in Serre Chevalier. Its 250km area with great intermediate and off piste skiing. La Grave is only 30 mins down the road. Its where a lot of people from La Grave spend the day when the weather is bad in La Grave.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a UCPA centre in Serre Chevalier.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
perthpowchaser, I have skied a lot in both places. As your other half wants to be with you sometimes. Stick to either Flaine or La plagne. Both are very good for all levels. There is loads of off piste in la plagne, Twisted Evil but I do wish Boredsurfing, did not tell everyone about that link. Twisted Evil as we like to keep it to ourselves. I will not even talk about the routes on the bellecote. Needless to say, you will have a great time in la plagne.

Flaine is also very good. Has a couple of great back valleys, sorry names escape me. Also it is now a very big linked area which gives loads of other options. To be honest, it is an even choice but I would go for La plagne because you also then have Les Arcs as an added bonus with the cable car link. UCPA in both places are very good. Have you been with them before, if not expect to be stretched, they do not take prisoners if you say you are an expert off piste skier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info/advice, much appreciated (website of La Plagne off piste looks fun thanks Boredsurfing), too many choices, La Grave has been on my list for a long time so Christopher's Serre Chevalier idea is an option (although might just come back another time without the GF for that).

Probably leaning towards La Plagne after looking at the website and makes the transfer to Val D'Isere the following week easier. Snowcrazy, haven't been with UACP before but without being over confident have skiied and toured around the world and can generally handle my own (have numerous friends in NZ/USA that I ski or tour with who are guides and patrollers) and always look forward to finding ski buddies that push the limits.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
perthpowchaser, La Plagne is great for off piste, as everyone assumes it's an intermediates place and hence the off piste doesn't get trashed Smile

some pics of a trip we did with the kids are here. We managed fresh tracks every day with plenty of scope to get back and ski with our kids

http://www.gregh.co.uk/albums/laplagne/

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-11-09 16:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
perthpowchaser wrote:
Probably leaning towards La Plagne after looking at the website and makes the transfer to Val D'Isere the following week easier. Snowcrazy, haven't been with UACP before but without being over confident have skiied and toured around the world and can generally handle my own (have numerous friends in NZ/USA that I ski or tour with who are guides and patrollers) and always look forward to finding ski buddies that push the limits.

No brainer in my book - if you're in Val Despair the week after then surely la plagne is the place (out of the 2) to go the week before, I'd only consider Flaine if I was going to have a car out there. If you pack lightish then on x-over day you could ski to les arcs, funicular down to Bourg St. Maurice and pick up a bus from the station.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Very nice pics but now everyone will want to go there Evil or Very Mad

perthpowchaser, If you are up for a challenge and I am around when you are out PM me nearer the time and we might be able to go play somewhere if you are really up for it. I presume your UCPA instruction is part of your holiday. Do you pay for that by the day or is it fully inclusive for the whole week? (By the way it is UCPA not UACP)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the further info. Kitenski the pics looks great.

Snowcrazy, with UCPA I understand you can chose to include the guiding in the rate, works out very cheap compared to group guiding. Really just looking for them to provide the local knowledge especially for snow stability plus always fun in a good group.

Will shoot you a pm closer to the time.
Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy