Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

T J Lanning @ Lake Louise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I hope he's ok, that looked and sounded like an awful accident.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, sickening. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think its appalling how the tv cameras revel in it Mad God speed for a good recovery
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think its appalling how the tv cameras revel in it

Agreed. Would they home in on a road accident victim in the same way?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awful accident. I was having dinner at the time and could hear this noise coming from the telly. Took me a while to realise it was Lanning screaming. Horrible to watch.

Dislocated knee and fractured neck apparently.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I had to F/Fwd to get rid of the screams - Horrid
And 3 snapped ligaments in his dislocated knee too. Could be a career ending injury.
Just come off the phone to my son also called TJ who will be racing the same Lake Louise course in Downhill at the NorAm cup on 7th Dec. He did not like what he saw or heard either.
He will be doing pretty similar speeds as yesterday - only about 10KPH slower! Fingers crossed!!
They are pretty brave guys - or as he puts it - Big Ba**s!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think its appalling how the tv cameras revel in it

Agreed. Would they home in on a road accident victim in the same way?

In the tour de france coverage earlier this year, a rider went down on a very fast descent, knocked himself unconscious and basically came to a stop using his face as a brake. On the live coverage, you saw the initial fall and then the camera cut away completely and filmed something else.
The commentary said that they didn't want to show us the accident because of how awful it was, but they would keep us informed if/when they got news of his condition.

As soon as news came through that he was OK and not seriously hurt they showed the original crash.

I'm surprised with the Lanning crash that they didn't cut away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was live sending, so cutting it away is not really possible. Showing endless replays is different thing. But falls are regular thing in skiing, so noone is really disgusted with it. But I agree... it's everything but nice to see something like this Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

so cutting it away is not really possible

Puzzled they seem to have no problem switching to mindless adverts of Bode Miller telling us to go to Trentino. Or they could show some highlights of previous runs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought the Eurosport commentary was pretty rank immediately after the crash. Anyone with any sense could tell how bad it was. The ski was still on - and at a really bizarre angle.....coupled with that screaming.
"that's adrenalin......he's shouting because he's angry he crashed" - or words to that effect. Dufus!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pam in that tenth of a second, when he was falling? I still think it's not really possible to avoid it in live transmission.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
primoz, no, I wasn't talking about the actual fall, but about the way they kept filming him close up, in a huge amount of pain, and then re-showing it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just been watching the footage Here - around 54 mins if anyone is interested, took the rescue people a long time to get that ski off.

Windy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eurosport receive the footage that the local TV stations shoot - as it was going out live, I would suggest that they had little or no control over the pictures. They did cut to give an advertisement break, but as Windymiller, just said it was a long time and they could not show adverts for all that time. The same goes for "recorded highlights". If they do not have the feed from the local provider, they cannot use it. The ads are scheduled in advance and it was just unfortunate that it was the puerile Trentino ad.

I felt the commentators were trying to do their best in the situation - they did not know what pictures they were going to get, nor did they know how long it was going to take to get him off the track. Their comments were perhaps intended to reduce speculation about the injuries. They cannot call the shots when using footage provided by other TV companies. Under normal circumstances they would have expected to have resumed racing within 20 minutes at the latest. That was certainly the case for Nikki Hosp at Sölden in October.

I'm not usually pro Eurosport commentators, but in this case they were doing their best under very difficult circumstances. The German Eurosport commentators also tried to distract from the obvious agony in a similar way.

The crash was shown in the recorded highlights but not lingered over and the comments were more in keeping with the information they had received in the interim.

I think the North American penchant for "crash & burn" footage was more culpable than the Eurosport guys. The European TV companies do not zoom in on accident victims to show their agony.

Sue
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hes just come back from ACL ijury aswell..so gonna be a long road back if he does come back..though not sure if its the same knee.

interestingly you didn't get to see much of Kuceras fall on sunday but I hear hes broken his leg, though his crash didn't look to bad before he went in the camera blackspot. He must be gutted that he may miss his home oylumpics
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy