Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Cervinia from Milan. Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thursday night coming up we are doing so for our weekend of family skiing. I am driving the transfer which is a new thing for me as I usually get a taxi or a coach. I have been to Cervinia before but cant remember the transfer.

Is it one of those tricky, nerve inducing mountain windy roads? am I likely going to need snowchains? There is snow forecast down to 1500m I believe.

Am a bit nervous about driving; about snowchains as never used them.

All advice gratefully accepted
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are a few hairpins on it but it's not (as I recall) one of those with sheer drops hundreds of feet on one side but I do remember it took much longer than I thought it would after coming off the motorway straight through the Aosta valley. However... I did this trip in daylight in March so I'm really not sure what to advise chain-wise. Best of luck! Smile

Btw, have you arranged parking at the hotel? Not everywhere in Cervinia has parking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, thanks. Good point re parking
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, It's not a bad a journey providing the weather isnt too harsh. You're probably looking at about 1hr30mins from Millan on the autostrada to Chatillion (just follow signs for Aosta from Millan) where you turn off for towards Cervinia. From there its probably about 40mins to Cervinia itself unless the weather is playing up. The road is never particularly steep although as Alexandra, says it always seems to take longer than the distance on the map implies; the majority of the hairpin bends come in the final stretch between Valtournenche and Cervinia. If you are struggling for parking at your hotel there is a large car park fairly close to the main street that does long stay.

P.S. Be careful exiting the autostrada not to end up in the far left lane to pay the toll. This is called the telepass lane where regular users have a black box on their car scanned
and the fee debited from their bank account. I ended up in it by mistake once and the realisation that there was no slot for money or credit cards, no attendant and a queue of 20 or so irrate Itallians behind me was one that will stay with me for a while Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been up that road many a time, and not yet used chains. Could have done with them getting out of Cervinia once or twice though Razz

I'd suggest seeing what the weather is doing before you set off, if heavy snow get chains, if not you should be alright.

Enjoy. Looks like there is a basic cover at least down to resort level now, so with a little more the whole mountain should open up
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Adam123, planning on getting chains. Havent a clue what to do with them but figure if it gets bad I will raise my skirt, blink suggestively and get myself a hot blooded Italian to help me out wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi

Fitting chains is nowhere near as bad as you might think. However, pictogram instructions that come with them can difficult to follow.

The basic principles are the same with just about all standard chains - ie push chain behind wheel to start with and lie it on the ground; join plastic hoop at top (behind wheel). After that, all fitting takes place on the front of the wheel as follows: passe chains over front of wheel, taking care to untangle them at the same time; drape them over the top of the wheel; clip top section of chains together; pass hook on stretchy rubber through ratchet device at bottom of wheel; pull tight and clip hook onto oipposite side of wheel.

If that sounds horrendous, proceed as follows:

1. Do a Google search to include the word "You tube fitting snow chains."

2. Find a video that you can follow.

3. Film it on your phone.

4. Watch video and follow directions closely after car slides to a halt on snowy pass Shocked .

Voila! One snow-chain-ready car Very Happy !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, Do you have a sat nav. I remember coming back to one of the milan airports was a nightmare - not very well signed and felt like you were driving down a b-road to nowhere and lo an airport.

Unfortunately it was a few years ago so I can't remember which airport it was - especially as my mate was driving with his missus naviguessing and they'd done it a few times before so the kids could just chill in the back...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy