Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS - Euro or Swiss Francs???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im off to chatel in january and have my eye on the currency. With half of the PDS in france and the other half in switzerland im wondering if there is any advantages/disadvantages to getting a certain currency??? Last year they accepted Euros in Switzerland but will they do it the other way around aswell??? cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only ever stayed in Morzine and used €s. I doubt French shops would take CHF.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I doubt French shops would take CHF.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, in the PdS - last time I was there the euro didn't exist wink but I would expect that in addition to giving you a pretty dodgy rate of exchange they would only take banknotes and would give you change in euros. Just like Geneva airport, with Swiss francs. You could presumably use a credit card quite a bit of the time?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, personally I'd take euros and then take out some Swiss Francs out of the cash machine at Geneva airport.

Everything "on the slopes" on the French side takes Swiss Francs (I'm pretty sure this is one of the founding principles that all the resorts signed up to when the PDS was formed - along with the fact that you're allowed to cross the border as long as you're in possession of a valid PDS lift pass).

As pam w says, the rate is rubbish.

BTW, I always carry a credit card with me now as I nearly got stranded on the Swiss side once Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers guys, nearly been stuck in switzerland myself on that long winding red run right at the back of the pds, it ends up at grand paradis i think, great at the top then as flat ad a pancake for the bottom half!!! Think i will do the euros then francs at geneva airport
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I work as an Instructor based in Champery. I take clients all over the PdS and most large places in France will take Francs and almost all on mountain bars and restauarants on Swiss side take Euros. In fact they will often take a mixture if you do not have enough in one currency!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
summer, cheers, so is there any benefit of using one currency more than the other or does it not matter???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, As your based on the French side go with Euro's, easier to buy your beer in the Avalance bar, and your Croissants from the bakers Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
summer, Any accommodation suggestion in Les Crosets? I know it not the right thread but from what I know of Snowheads its the way to go Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

most large places in France will take Francs and almost all on mountain bars and restauarants on Swiss side take Euros.

I don't even know where to start with this. But I'll leave with: take FlyingStantoni's advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The exchange rate if you have the "wrong" currency in a restaurant or bar is shockingly crap. Either carry both, or carry a credit card.

Not wanting to contradict the excellent F.Stantoni but I don't believe that there's a "micro"-"pre"-Shengen (although Switzerland is now Shengen) agreement going on multi-laterally amongst the PDS stations. Technically, you should have photo ID (and a lift pass doesn't count). But in 21 years skiing around the place, I've never been stopped. I have heard of it happening and I have seen Douaniers, but all talk, no action.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I have seen Douaniers, but all talk, no action

wasn't there a sad story last year sometime of somebody who had bought a stack of ciggies, or something, and was pursued and made to pay?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy