Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on a budget.......

Poster: A snowHead
What it say's on the tin really, sure this has been done before but struggled to find any topics. Looking to book a weeks skiing between end of Jan & end of Feb (poss later) and thought this would be the best place to ask Not got any specific resorts in mind just looking for good value and snow!! where are you going how much did it cost. Ideally looking to go all-in but any info/links that can get us there on the cheap would be much appreciated. Would also consider going outside the Euro zone to get more for our hard earned £'s. Will be interesting to see how much fellow snowheads ski for cause i normally spend more on beer than i do on the skiing but this year that isnt an option! Please HELP!.......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've sent you a PM Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Llac Negre in Pas de la Casa. A really good budget hotel, close enough to the lifts and the bars are much cheaper than the Alps.

Slopes are good and its high, so quite 'snow sure'.

Good reports on Trip Advisor and Pat, the Aussie owner, is a great bloke.

Best of all, its cheap as chips.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swell, It has been discussed quite a bit before. IMHO the cheapest way that does not involve hitching and doss house or soemthing similar is to choose the lowest seaon week you can get off after New Year and wait untill a few days before departure and then scour the last minute bargain offers. You can usually get a very cheap price which will include transport and accommodation. Then checkout the web sites for whatever else you need to spend in the way of lift pass , lessons , hire. You also need to decide whether or not you need to east on the mountain and drink other than out of a supermarket/ duty free and cost this in.
if you are going feb school holidays this method is unlikely to work.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker, Llac Negre was the scene of my second ever ski holiday way back when. Had a great time on Pas de la Casa - Swell, enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker, I found austria cheaper than andorra.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swell, Lots of previous threads on the subject like the following - search function at the top of the page under the mountains or just google {budget site:snowheads.com}

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56401

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53548

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56190

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54597

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11148

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4338

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55517
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe wrote:
bar shaker, I found austria cheaper than andorra.

As a single traveller, definitely.

I'm not sure it would still be true if travelling as a couple.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ideally looking to go all-in

If you're in the right age-bracket (ie considerably younger than I....) about the cheapest completely all-in package might be UCPA, a French organisation to promote sports amongst young people. You can book direct, or through the British organisation Action Outdoors http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/.

A week in Flaine, for example, including travel from the UK, food, tuition, equipment hire and lift pass would cost you £523. I don't think it gets much cheaper than that.

If you're going to France, much better to avoid the four weeks of school hols - last three weeks in February, first in march. Cheaper, and quieter, at other times.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi im going to 3 valleys 6th of feb for a week. may be expensive when you get out there but for the price we paid we coudnt say no. 6th feb flying from gatwick fights and accom 180pp. booked through igu ski staying in les menuires, lift pass around 200, take own skis and hopefully fly them for free. total cost 380 pp. cheap as chips
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing on a budget means different things for different people. For some it means loading up the car and driving 4+ people to France and staying in a self-catering apartment cooking and eating for themselves and taking pack-up out on to the mountain.

This option would be ridiculously expensive for me as a single traveller so for me it means finding a good TO deal to Austria or Italy (single rooms in French hotels are very rare) with a low supplement single room and a convenient regional flight departure (saves money this end).

It all depends on your requirements really.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure how many of you there are? But if it's just two we've got a cracking studeo apartment for a good budget break - it's self catering BUT with a difference as price includes transfers, late supper with wine on arrival night, breakfast delivered to your door every morning, welcome hamper with all your essentials, ski hosting and lots of other bits to make life a bit easier. As it's next to our catered chalet there's an option to join us for three course dinner with free flowing wine (subject to availability) at 15 euros per person per night.

It's in Les Coches, Paradiski and you can find details here : www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/self-catered-studio-for-2 - prices end Jan for the week £149 per person, Feb £169 (excluding half term week which is £229) .

The catered chalet it's next to does any day arrival 3, 6 and 9 night breaks and prices inclusive of transfers and half board accommodation www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-melezes-and-mazot

Ski to door - short walk to nearest lift and village centre...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think laterally. If you're not too concerned about being where the nightlife action is then choose a small place with a powerful lift. I am going to Briancon at half term in a hotel, with a train from London, for £388. Stay in Chantermerle and add £450 to that price to essentially be closer to pubs. Avoid dreadful places like Tignes/Val D'Isere/Meribel and you can find quite a few bargains. Oh yes, avoid tour ops as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dont know what your numbers are but we are doing our cheapest ever trip in 12yrs.5 of us going to lanersbach which is between mayrhofen and the hintertux glacier, its cheap to eat and drink- 15 euro for decent main course, 3.50 for a pint and of course guranteed snow on the glacier with the massive zillertal arena if snow is ok. costs-580 euro pp incl flights, car hire, accom, ski hire and lift pass. we are flying ryair to memmingen for approx 50eu pp, car hire via ryanair website 300 eu incl snow tyres, accom in apartment incl ski pass 380eu pp name of apartment is the gudrun and its ski to the door with the main lift 3min away,ski and boot hire via skiset.co.uk 70eu pp. (use "newskisetclubuk" discount code)
this may not be cheap compared to the packages available from uk which we cant do from ireland, but for a quality holiday we think its fairly reasonable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at rocketski, been with them last few years and never payed more than £300 inc. flights, transfers, half board. I've found them very good, basic but as long as you get fed and have got a roof other your head its fine especially for the price.
Or have a look at neilson, they seem to have some pretty cheap self accom deals at the moment.
snow conditions
kevin mcclean wrote:
Think laterally. If you're not too concerned about being where the nightlife action is then choose a small place with a powerful lift. I am going to Briancon at half term in a hotel, with a train from London, for £388. Stay in Chantermerle and add £450 to that price to essentially be closer to pubs. Avoid dreadful places like Tignes/Val D'Isere/Meribel and you can find quite a few bargains. Oh yes, avoid tour ops as well.

Got to disagree with the tour ops, if you book at the right time theres plenty of last minute deals with tour ops inc. half board for less than £350 and even cheaper for self accom.
ski holidays
Quote:

even cheaper for self accom

but need to dig beneath the headline price, which is generally based on "full occupancy" - which could well mean 6 people in a 28 sq.metre apartment.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

even cheaper for self accom

but need to dig beneath the headline price, which is generally based on "full occupancy" - which could well mean 6 people in a 28 sq.metre apartment.

well thats what skiing on a budget is.
snow report
gavjackson wrote:

Got to disagree with the tour ops, if you book at the right time theres plenty of last minute deals with tour ops inc. half board for less than £350 and even cheaper for self accom.

While I agree that TOs are usually one of the best ways to get bargains with late deals, there seem to be much fewer around this year.

And prices are actually still rising for mid January. I booked last weekend for Kirchdorf for £418 (flights inc. ski carriage, transfers & half board in a single room). The best I could do now would be about £450 - and that would be for Seefeld, which I don't think is quite as good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy