Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling from Grenoble -> Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone I'm new here!

I was hoping for a bit of advice, a gang of us are having to get from Grenoble airport to Meribel and after the best way of getting there that won't break the bank given transfers in region of €300!

We're quite happy to hire a car and drive all 4 of us and piles of kit to the chalet - this seems to be the cheapest option. However, we've never done this before, and only one of us has even driven on t'other side of the road! Shocked We are also coming in at 9pm on the Saturday night, so would love a general idea of how long it would take from a to b.., what to look out for .. what to worry about..

We've got delightful visions of coming Top Gear stylee when they visited the ski resort at night.. Cool but suspect its more likely to be squishy and cosy with a ski bag in the ear of someone.

Suggestions/Experiences welcome - this is the first time we've done something without a transfer!

Cheers

Nikki
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nikkicattrell, you'll need to make sure your hire car company is still open at 9pm. Grenoble is quite a small airport and even in even in Geneva it's not unknown for hire car operators to shut up shop at about 8pm. Grenoble to Meribel should take around 2 hrs., it's autoroute to Albertville and reasonable road from there, check with viamichelin for route details, you will need to know exactly where your lodgings are in Meribel, it can take quite some time to find locations in an unfamiliar place at night.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for coming back to me.. Car hire company is open until 11pm at the weekend, so should be ok. Have a pretty good idea of where the chalet is, but will contact ski france for specifics.

Will check for the route details - thanks for the tip.

Cheers, only 7 weeks to go! Very Happy

Nik
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we did this last year. 7 of us, 2 hire cars. sure, we got there during the day which helped but the drive isnt too bad at all. as has been said, the first part is autoroute which is easy (there are a couple of tolls i think, too so make sure you have some change). the last part of the route - if you are a petrolhead like me - is...erm...fun! nice alpine roads punctuated with some hairpins + hire car = Smile

check ahead for the weather as you might need snowchains as meribel can get quite snowy, even on the roads. That said, its not excessively steep getting upto the village (at least the lower part) but could prove tricky depending on where your accomodation is.

driving was, for us, a very cheap way of getting to resort. just make sure you start the car a few times if you are letting it stand, and id get onto the snow accumulation a day early as we amassed a good 2 foot on ours!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh thank you - that's exactly the information I was hoping for. No idea about snowchains though - will ask hire company if they provide them, and will investigate further if not. Thanks for the tips on the tolls, never clicked on that side. I've found a road report on Merinet which is very helpful too.

Unfortunately as it will be night and in a 6 seater people carrier (for all the stuff - one disadavantage of taking your own gear Razz ) I suspect more hairy than fun! But still cheaper than a transfer Shocked !

Am going to nick my nephew's Tom Tom which hopefully will avoid us getting lost too - though that wouldn't surprise me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy